- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Hey, happy birthday.” Though she was touched by these words, Pam was on the brink of running up, putting her hand across his mouth and silencing him. She had worked here for nearly five years, and she never once had to deal with an office celebration. It was a record she worked hard to maintain, and it was not going to be ruined by Jim. Even though it meant things between them were good, and he was remembering little details like he used to. She just shot him a death glare.

“Don’t say anything.” She whispered at him sternly, looking at him with evil eyes.

“Why?” Jim asked, genuinely confused. Ryan was taking a weeklong vacation, so Jim decided to take his desk in his absence. Secretly, it felt good to be back, stealing quick glances at her every once and a while.

“Because nobody knows.” She whispered even more quietly. “And I would like to keep it that way.”

“Well, that’s going to be a problem, because there’s a barbershop quartet coming at lunch with cake and a present. That might give it away.” She stifled a giggle, and he took off his coat. She turned to answer the phone, and he quickly checked his bag, just to make sure her present was in there. This is definitely something she will like. He sighed with relief, and took his seat. Even though she was on the phone, she silently mouthed him different words and phrases. He nodded, knowing exactly what she was saying, and went back to work. He looked up for a second, over to where Karen used to sit. He felt bad for pushing her away, but she made the choice to leave him. It was her decision, and all he could do was hope she was happy now.

*******

“Your birthday’s coming up.” Jim stated a week ago as they both were standing in the elevator. All alone, feeling the body heat rising from each other. She just nodded, knowing everybody else was gone. “October 27, right?”

“Right, the 27th.”

“Ok, well, be prepared because we are going to be a fancy lunch at a classy, sophisticated restaurant.

“Oh really?”

“Yep, it’s an upscale place with a charming atmosphere and amazing food. The staff is very friendly. You’re going to have to dress up for a change, Beesley, so make sure to wear your orange shorts and white tank top.”

“Wait, what?” Pam asked, genuinely confused.

“Didn’t I tell you? We’re going to Hooters for your birthday” Jim said with a serious tone but was smiling like a mad man.

“Oh, great. I’ve been meaning to try their chicken wings. You know but I’ve heard that you can also buy other stuff there too. Like shirts and hats. So, you can just buy me something pretty.”

“Like a pony?” He said with a sense of wide-eyed excitement. They both laughed vigoursly as the elevator went down another floor.

“No, Jim. Which reminds me, you are definitely not buying Christmas presents this year.” She shot back, still laughing. He sobered up a bit.

“I’ve done well in the past.” He said with a content smile. She shrugged.

“I’ll give you that one.”

*********

“Getting excited for the Dundies?” Jim asked, popping a jellybean into his mouth. She had finally put them back out, after months of candy experimentation. M&M’s, Skittles, Hershey’s kisses. It was nice to see she was getting back into old patterns again.

“Oh, totally.” She replied sarcastically, nodding her head with every word spoken. “I mean, I was going to spend my birthday with my family, but this is much better. In a Chili’s with Ping and Dwight as a Deejay.” Even though her voice dropped several volumes, they both laughed at her sardonic commentary. Then she leaned in really close, drowning herself in his eyes. “There is one upside, however.”

“What’s that?” He said, hypnotized by every detail about her. Her beautiful eyes, her incandescent smile, the smooth curves of her face. Everything about her.

“Second drinks.” She said with a childlike excitement, her eyes lighting up with passion and excitement. He couldn’t help but think that it was going to be a night to remember, and not in ways that she could think of right now.

***

“The Comeback Kid award goes to Jim Halpert!” Michael spat into the microphone, proud of his achievement of coming up with Jim’s Dundie. It had taken him hours, and finally he chose this one.

Now’s the time. Jim told himself to remember breathing. Pam gently pushed him from his barstool. He stumbled as he walked up to the microphone.

“Wow, thank you Michael.” Jim sighed as he accepted his golden statue from a grinning Michael. He took a deep breath, and then accepted the microphone from him. “I just have something I’d like to say right now.” Eyes of his coworkers were locked on his, and he darted across the room on every one of them.

Then he turned his attention towards Pam, locking straight on her. “Pam, I just wanted to say that you are the most amazing person I have ever known. I can’t imagine not having you in my life.”

The audience let out one dramatic sigh, and Pam felt burning tears coming to her eyes. Jim took another breath, still locked on Pam. “And I hate to ruin it for you, but today is Pam’s birthday, and she requested that I buy her something pretty for this birthday, so...” He paused, reaching into his pocket, then walked closer to the table. He held a small black box in his hand, shaking it with all the nerves in his system.

The surrounding coworkers, wishing her a happy birthday, distracted Pam. But as Jim was two inches away from her, she jumped at his sudden closeness. Suddenly, he was on the floor, on bended knee. He opened up the box, and held it out in front of him. A sparkling diamond ring sat before her, and she gasped.

“Marry me?” He said, away from the microphone. His words were soft enough that she could hear them, but didn’t broadcast them for everybody. Emotions surged through her as she sat there, mystified at his gesture. The main one of them was happiness. Happiness she hadn’t felt since Jim left for Stamford, or when Jim admitted he didn’t love Karen like he loved her.

With tears in her eyes, she nodded, and he pulled her into his arms. Kissing her at that moment was not like anything ever experienced before. It made the room spin without second drinks, it made everybody disappear, and he knew that everything was going to be okay with them.

“So how did I do?” He asked, sitting next to her in the car. She sat in the passenger’s seat, admiring her new engagement ring. “Did I get you something pretty?"

“You did a pretty good job, Halpert.” She replied smiling. She felt like this was right. She had never been so close to someone before and genuinely looked forward to this wedding and spending the rest of their lives together. “But you should’ve went with the pony.”

Chapter End Notes:
I love reviews almost as much as Jim Halpert. :)


WildBerryJam is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Something Pretty also liked 1690 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans