- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Someone over at TWoP mentioned Ryan/Angela, so I thought I would give it a go. :) 

 

“Do not panic.”

She stays late; getting work done that was ignored while they wasted their day out in the parking lot, playing childish games and engaging in other non-work related activities like dancing. She doesn’t know the temp very well, only the facts from his tax forms, but she thinks that she is very close to adding him to her mental list entitled “disapproves of.”

No one else bothered to stay, and she is far from surprised. She actually likes it better this way, working quietly without distractions from the incompetent people around her. She finishes and gathers her things, making sure to turn off Kevin’s computer and leaving a note stuck to the monitor that reads Guess what was left on again? But she can deal with that tomorrow.

 

The head of accounting is a job that never ends.

 

As she walks past reception, she hears a noise, and turns, frightened; Ryan is walking out of the break room, and he looks up and seems surprised to see her, too.

 

“Angela.”

 

“Ryan.”

 

He steps toward her, crossing the darkened office. “I didn’t know you were here, I…thought everyone had left.”

 

“I missed a day of work because of the fire; there were some things that couldn’t wait.”

 

She watches him, as he tries to suppress a flinch, grimacing, before he speaks again.

 

“Yeah, I’m really sorry about that.”

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I was trying to clean up, I figured…” he sighs. “I felt bad and didn’t want everyone to come to work tomorrow to a mess.”

 

“That is…commendable.” And it is. She’s actually a little shocked that he has some sort of moral character. He doesn’t seem the sort.

 

“I’m just…. new, and I don’t want to screw up.”

 

Angela nods, “I see.” She gestures toward the door. “I’m leaving.”

 

“I’ll walk out with you.”

 

*

 

He stands a little too close to her in the elevator, but she decides that it might be okay.

 

“So,” he runs a hand through his hair. “Bad day, huh?”

 

“Any type of waste is bad.”

 

“Right.”

 

He looks over at her for a minute, and she starts to feel uncomfortable. Leaning away from him slightly, she meets his eyes. “What?”

 

“Nothing, I…I just hope that they don’t keep calling me the Fire Guy.”

 

“It’s an apt description.”

 

“I know,” he sighs, “I was just hoping to not get labeled, like, Stanley, for example, he’s the Crossword Guy. Or…. never mind. I just don’t want to be known for starting the fire.”

 

“It won’t last.”

 

They walk out to the parking lot, and he follows her to her car; she thinks that she must really have misjudged him if he’s going to escort her, like a gentleman. He’ll open the car door and make sure she’s in before closing her up, safe.

 

“How do you know it won’t last, Angela?”

 

She pauses and frowns. “Because someone does inappropriate and outrageous things every day in that office. I sit by Kevin; I would know.”

 

He smiles, “Really?”

 

“He’s lucky I’m not into labeling people, or he would have some vile names.”

 

“I guess so.”

 

They reach her car and she pauses, looking up at him.

“You know, Ryan, I’m the safety officer for the office.”

 

“I think I heard you mention that before.”

 

“I could offer you some tips next time you attempt to make yourself some lunch, “ she looks away. “If you would like.”

 

“I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks, Angela, I…feel a little better.”

 

She can’t remember ever having comforted someone before. It’s a nice feeling, she thinks.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

They stand there in silence, and she thinks to herself that it’s his turn to talk, make her feel safe, anything, when he leans forward.

 

He kisses her.

 

She stands completely still, keeps her lips closed. When he places a hand on her shoulder, she doesn’t pull away like she thinks she should.

 

He pulls her a little closer and she finally closes her eyes; she keeps her arms at her sides because that’s what you do when you’re trying not to panic.

 

She can feel her lips part a little when he finally pulls away, and she straightens her shoulders and thinks again how she may have underestimated him.

 

“I should go home. Thank you, Ryan.”

 

He steps back, back and away from her.

 

“Yeah. I’ll see you tomorrow, Angela.”

 

He walks away and doesn’t open the car door for her, but she decides to overlook it just this once because she’s picturing him talking to her properly; standing up straight and meeting her eyes, asking her to dinner and commenting on the picture of her cats she keeps on her desk.

 

*

 

He never does come and talk to her. She forgives herself for her temporary lapse in judgment, and actually feels vindicated that her instincts were right to begin with. As for him, the Bible tells her that forgiveness is provident.

 

It doesn’t say anything about forgetting.

 

 



Bennie is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked may faith stand firm also liked 12 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans