- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

The beginning of Dwight and Jim, and their first sales call.  Chapter written by 69 cups of noodles.

 

 

Jim sits across from Dwight in the conference room, a pen clutched in his right hand. He watches Dwight, waiting for him to speak, but Dwight has been completely silent for the past three minutes, with his eyes closed, slowly breathing in and out through his nose. He wonders if he should say something to wake Dwight up, or to knock him out of his trance, but he's still kind of new and he doesn't really want to interrupt whatever it is that Dwight's doing. Instead, he glances down at the notes he'd taken earlier during his sales training session.

Rule Number One: Know your client. Understand their situation and anticipate their needs.

He's pretty comfortable with that one. He's been working at Dunder-Mifflin for about a month and a half now, and he's made plenty of cold calls, most of which have actually been successful. So, knowing and understanding. He can handle that.

Rule Number Two: Put yourself in the client's shoes.

He knows he can do this one without even thinking twice. Completely. He can recite the questions he needs to ask himself before his pitch, like what can you do for the client to make their job easier? Or, what types of problems is their company facing that you can help them overcome with Dunder-Mifflin's services? Again, simple common sense.

He glances up and Dwight's eyes pop open. "It's time," Dwight says, a solemn expression on his face. "I have no doubt in my mind that you're ready for this, and your grooming is complete.  But more importantly Jim," he continues, folding his hands on top of the conference table, "do you think you're ready to take on this task?  This...duty in which the quality of your perfomance today will henceforth dictate your success in climbing the ranks of this company?"

Jim isn't quite sure what to say.  He thinks there's a question in there somewhere that he's supposed to answer, but what Dwight had just said is more like a demand than a question. The overhead fluorescent lights reflect off of Dwight's glasses and burn in Jim's eyes, and for a second, it's like torture.

Jim swallows. "Uh, yeah. Yeah, I think I am." He smiles. He knows he's ready, but he's not sure if coming across as cocky is good for him, and he doesn't want Dwight to think he's being too overconfident. He's grateful to have this job; it's a good job, and he really, really doesn't want to screw it up.

Dwight slaps his palm loudly against the table, and Jim jerks his head up. "Wrong answer." He shakes his head sternly. "Let me ask you again. Are you prepared to take on this task?"

Jim thinks, wondering how he could possibly rephrase the word yes in the way that Dwight's obviously looking for. Maybe he didn't sound assertive enough, and he figures since Dwight has shown him everything he knows so far, he should at least convince him that he's been paying attention to his every word.

He clears his throat. "Yes," he says firmly. "I am absolutely, one-hundred-percent ready for this sales call."

Dwight grins. "All right then, new guy.  Let's go."


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans