- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Again I own nothing.

Jim looks for courage. He finds Pam instead.

He sat staring at the slim jewel case as if at any moment it would self-destruction. He knew what her small gesture meant. It meant the beginning of something huge. Something he knew would start as soon as he heard the first song. Something he wasn’t quite sure he was ready for. So here he sat weighing the pros and cons. Working up the courage to let her in again. Thankfully however none of his courage was needed. She had plenty of that for the both of them. In the background he hears his phone ring and she suddenly leaves him with no choice.

~~~~~~

Pam wasn’t quite sure where she had gotten the idea to call him but something told her that this was one of those times they actually needed to realize something together. They had a notorious history of realizing things far too early or much too late. But she also had a more self-serving purpose. She wanted to experience this with him. Music was something he loved. Something he felt. She had taken the first step and taken a chance. She wanted the music to say all the things she wasn’t quite ready to say. She wanted his reaction. She wanted to know if he’d connect the right lyrics to her. She wanted to hear his small gasps as they did connect. Because of course he would get it. He was Jim. She was sharing a part of herself with him. She wanted the intimacy he had offered her long ago and tonight she’d know for sure if he still wanted her too. She held her breath until his voice rang in her ears. At the sound of him he gave her no choice but to be brave.

~~~~~~

She was quiet and still not breathing.

"Pam?"

"Jim, I know this won’t make much sense but I thought maybe..."

"Maybe?"

"Well maybe we could listen to it together. You haven’t started yet have you?"

"Well no. I guess we could if you wanted."

"Please Jim, it would mean a lot to me."

"Kay I’ll get it ready."

Silence weighed heavily on them. Not even breath was between them. All they had was hope and the sense that this could be the beginning of everything. With Pam in her little cubby hole of an apartment and Jim in an apartment with so much room even with him in it it felt empty a single note sounded. And together they let out the breath they had both been holding since May. It was now or never.

They kind of liked the idea of now.

Chapter End Notes:
Next comes the songs. I warn you though they will be varied and ecclectic. Not a typical songfic. I love reviews and the reviewers who write them. Thank you to everyone that made me feel special.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans