- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I've never been blind or a doctor, so I apologize if any of the medical-related bits aren't completely factual. Also, this is my first fan fiction EVER, so any kind of feedback would be awesome!
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

**************************

There's the feeling of air on his skin. Something's different. It takes him a moment to pinpoint what it is: the soft whir of summertime air conditioning. The last thing he remembers is a biting cold and the startling redness of her lips against the white snow. This can't be right.

The sound of footsteps shatters his thoughts. The click of heels against a hard-tiled floor grows louder and louder, until finally, it stops.

"Is he still asleep?" The voice is female. He can't place it at first, but then the vague image of a brunette woman floats up in his memory.

"You believed me, didn't you - that's why you left me."

"I thought it was what you wanted."

"You knew what I wanted."

"It wasn't this?" The space between them, stretching out to infinity.

"No. It was never this."


Another voice is speaking now: an elderly male, authoritative and solemn. "He should be waking up in the next few minutes, if he hasn't already. Physical therapy will begin next week. However, he won't regain his eyesight for another few months."

"But he will regain it?"

"Yes. But I must warn you, he'll have suffered a severe memory loss due to the accident and surgeries. He won't remember you."

There's a silence, then a deep intake of breath. "I thought you said you couldn't be certain about that."

"After reviewing his brain scans and medical chart, I'm afraid I am quite certain. He'll remember basic functions, like brushing his teeth and walking, but he won't have retained any episodic memory. This means that he'll have forgotten his past friends and family, even his home."

"So he won't remember me at all."

"No, ma'am. I'm sorry. He won't."

Why does her voice sound so familiar? He remembers a flash of hands moving, a lock of curly brown hair falling against his wrist. There's no face.

"Is there any chance at all that he'll regain his memory eventually? If he sees me, if he sees his family, his friends, there's no way he won't be able to remember us -"

"I'm sorry. It's highly unlikely. You don't want to waste your life hoping for a miracle. After he's able to function independently again, he may not even want to be around you. He may move to a different state and start a completely new life."

"I appreciate everything you've done, Doctor. But I could never just leave him like this."

He struggles to open his eyes. No. He feels his heart start to pound. The darkness is surrounding him now, as vague memories and images slip away. He tries to open his mouth to speak, and he can't. He tries to say something, anything; he tries to lift his hand. He can't. He can't. He's trapped in his own body, and he can't escape no matter how hard he tries.

Over the frantic beeping of machines, he hears the voices speaking with urgency.

"What's happening -"

"His heart rate and blood pressure are rising. He's woken up. He must be reacting badly to the loss of eyesight and the pain. I'll need you to leave - nurses! I need some nurses in here!"

"No. I'm not leaving."

He feels the gentle touch of another person's skin on his own. The slim fingers grip his hand and he tightens his hand in response, holding on as if they're his only anchor to the world. He feels the wetness of tears on his face, tears that cannot be his own.

The female voice, so familiar yet so distant, is speaking to him now, softly against his ear.

"It's all right, Jim. It's me. It's Pam. I'm here now."


Flutter is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Out of the Darkness also liked 1364 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans