- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just a little fluff for our hiatus-ridden souls.  Hopefully you enjoy and special thanks go out to my lovely amazing beta shan21 for just holding my hand encouraging me along the way!!

Jim and Pam walked up the snowy pathway, their hands tightly intertwined. The morning sun had risen and now peeked through the trees of the yard.

"So, you ready for this, Beesly?" Jim asked.

Pam quietly stared at his curious expression as she contemplated his question. He started to get worried for a moment that they were taking things too quickly, but was soon reassured when Pam said confidently "I've never been more ready."

She reached over and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. He squeezed her hand as he pulled his other gloved hand towards the doorbell.

"Uncle Jim's here!" the voices inside the house exclaimed. Jim and Pam could hear the crowd moving towards the door before it even opened. The door swung open and his entire family stood before them. His parents, brother and sister, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. The whole Halpert clan.

"Uncle Jimmmmmmmm!" a young voice shrieked.

A little four year old boy ran recklessly into Jim's leg and wrapped his tiny arms around it. Jim reached down and picked up his nephew and hugged him. "Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! How's it going Joey?"

"Great, Uncle Jim! Mom just got me a new dinosaur, wanna come see?"

"Please tell me it wasn't a brontosaurus like last time!" Jim said conspiratorially.

"No way, I told mom those were lame. They only eat plants"

"Good, I'm glad you set her straight. I want you to meet somebody, Joe, this is Pam."

"You're pretty" Joey said shyly.

"Why, thank you Joey"

"You see, Joe, that's one of the best parts about Pam." Jim said as he glanced over at a blushing Pam.

Jim introduced her to his entire family. Parents, his brothers and sister, aunts, uncles, distant cousins. Halperts he hardly even knew himself. He was relishing the fact that he finally could show Pam off. Even though he always thought it was weird parading around his girlfriends, with Pam it somehow felt right. A sense of pride washed through him every time he would look across the room and catch her chatting with his family.

Jim walked into his parent's kitchen. His mom was sitting at the table staring out the patio door, watching all the family play their traditional game of football. She sipped on her glass of wine and saw him sit next to her.

"So I think I'm ready for it," he said to her.

She needed no explanation - she knew what he meant. She gasped softly and eyes form in her eyes. "Oh Jim..."

She jumped out of her chair and pulled her son into a warm embrace. "Seriously, I'm so happy for you. Let me go get it" Larissa leapt up the stairs and disappeared into her bedroom.

She returned back into kitchen a few moments later and slipped the tiny gift into Jim's hand. Larissa closed his fingers over it and placed her hand over his.

"Be happy" she whispered.


The day was a typical Thanksgiving. But for Jim and Pam, it was a huge step in the right direction for them. They had finally gotten their act together and stopped dancing around their issues. Before Jim and Pam went their separate ways on major holidays and always found time for each other afterwards. But this was their first holiday they spent together. The morning started off with the Macy's parade on TV.

"A staple for any Thanksgiving!" Pam said exasperatedly as she dragged Jim into the living room to watch it. Even though Jim couldn't stand watching floats and musical acts, he found himself enjoying it, in large part because of his company.

After the parade, most of the family had gone outside in the huge backyard and had set up the big football rivalry game.

"I am always quarterback" Jim proudly stated to Pam as she smirked at him.

"Well, aren't you special?"

"Yep, my mom tells me that every day, don't you?"

"Yes, you are my special boy!" Larissa said cheesily as she playfully grabbed his cheek.

"See?"

"You've proven your point. Now go win the game!"

"Aren't you going to come out?" Jim asked.

"In a bit I will, I want to help your mom out with making dinner" she said.

"Okay, but you have to come out to be my own cheerleader"

"Oh, don't worry, I will" she said with a slight twinkle in her eye.

She turned around and walked into the kitchen to find Larissa frantically whipping a spoon around in the bowl.

"Need any help?" Pam asked, hoping the answer was yes.

"No, no you're a guest, Pam! Go play football outside with everyone else"

"Honestly, I'd rather help in here. It's the tradition in my house for me and my mom to make everything together. We would make the dinner and talk and connect over our culinary expertise... and yes maybe a little bit the wine helps a bit"

Larissa looked over at Pam, immediately recognizing all the qualities that Jim loved about her. "Actually the help would be wonderful, Pam. I am up to my ears in potatoes!"

Pam grabbed a knife and started peeling as she bonded with Larissa. A bottle of wine and a completed Thanksgiving dinner later, Pam and Larissa sat down at the table.

"I'm really enjoying today, Larissa, thank you for letting me come"

"It's no problem at all, anyone Jim speaks so highly of is always welcome at our home"

Pam thought about her own childhood and how different it was being at Jim's house. "I love being here; it's so different from my family's holidays. Since I'm an only child, we didn't have huge family gatherings and football games in the backyard. It was always a small ordeal, just my parents and a meal. Which, don't get me wrong, was wonderful. But this?" Pam paused for a few moments "It's just...nice"

Larissa looked over at Pam and realized that her eyes were glazed over and a tear slid down her cheek. Larissa put her hand over Pam's, just as she had for Jim earlier in the day.

"You can visit any time you want"

Larissa and Pam chatted away while they watched the football game outside. The game was soon over and everyone piled back into the house. "We won!" Jim shouted happily to Pam as he walked in. She reached her arms around his neck and gave him a quick kiss.

"Gross, you're all sweaty!" she pulled back immediately as she had touched his wet hair.

"Oh, you know you like it" he whispered into her ear as he winked and walked upstairs to take a shower.

Thanksgiving dinner consisted of all the traditional components and everyone's bellies were stuffed. Many of Jim's extended family left in order to get back home before it got too late. Pam said goodbye to all the people she had met and was surprised at how attached she had become to Jim's family, especially little Joey. Joey ran as fast as his little legs could and raised his arms up to her as a sign for her to pick him up. She pulled the small boy into her arms and he gave her a huge hug and sloppy kiss on the cheek. "Bye Pretty Pam!" he said loudly as he was being pulled out the door by Jim's brother.

Eventually it was just Jim, Pam and his parents left in the huge house. They made their way into the cozy living room and sat down on the large overstuffed couches by the fireplace.

"How about a game?" Jim's dad asked.

"Ooh, Jim let's play that game we used to on Thanksgiving when you and your brothers and sister were younger!" Larissa suggested excitedly.

"What, charades? Oh come on Mom!"

"No, let's do it! I've never played it before!" Pam protested.

"Fine, Beesly, only because you've never done it before.

Pam wiped her eyes tiredly as she laughed along with Jim's parents in the living room.

"But I thought that in charades, you could talk!" she expressed out loud, as everyone around her howled with laughter.

Pam made a fake pout face and Jim laughed as he leaned over and whispered "It's okay. You can't follow instructions, I'll still love you"

"Oh, shut up!" she exclaimed as she smacked him in the arm. He grabbed her hand and kissed the palm and intertwined their fingers and rested their hands between them. She rested her head on his shoulder and he closed his eyes.

"Man, I'm beat."

"Me too, it's been a long day. So many Halperts, so little time!" She said as she giggled at her own joke. "So where am I being held captive for the night?"

"Well, if you're lucky, I might just allow you to be among the privileged few to grace their presence of my childhood room"

"Wow, I feel so honored!" she said, feigning astonishment.

"You should be, it's quite the place to be. You know, what with all the go-go dancers, DJs, and disco balls"

"Disco balls? Were you a teenager in the 70s?"

"Well, Pam, there's been something I've been meaning to tell you....I'm actually a 60 year old man. I've had 5 plastic surgeries to make this look good" Jim boasted as his hands pointed down at his body. "I hope that isn't an issue"

"You're such a dork"

They both dissolved in laughter that seems to only come to the surface in the wee hours of the morning. He stood up and stretched out his long arms and legs that were stiff from sitting and playing games for hours. She extended her hand to him and he pulled her up from the comfort of the love seat and guided her upstairs.

"So this is your bedroom"

Pam gazed around his childhood room, amazed by everything in it. It seemed to fit him perfectly. Everything, from the old trophies to sport uniforms, even the academic achievement certificates hanging on the walls felt like Jim. She sat down on his bed and looked over at him as he was digging through their suitcase to find their pajamas.


"Wow, your bed is so tiny!" she exclaimed. She bounced up and down on it, to try and get the "feel" of his childhood bed.

"Well, Pam, I am a growing boy." he grinned over at her with a smile that he somehow only used around her.

"I see, but were you a hobbit as a child? I mean I can barely fit on this bed, how on earth can we both fit?

"I guess we'll just have to be very, very close together" Jim murmured slowly while his arms circled her waist.

"I like the sound of that" Pam kissed his cheek and then slowly pulled away to change into her pajamas for the night.

They both were exhausted and finally made their way to bed.

"I had so much fun today" Pam said quietly, as her head rested on his chest. Her fingers played with his as she replayed the day's events in her mind. "I could get used to this, spending holidays with your family.... and you."

He looked at her and smiled softly. "I'm so happy with you, Pam"

"Me too, Jim, me too." she said with a happy sigh. She closed her eyes and rested in her favorite position for a moment. She loved just to sit still and soak in the moments they shared together. There were moments when she felt they didn't need to talk.

The feeling of his chest rising and lowering had become like her own wave machine- something that lulled her to sleep every night. She felt him shift under her and peeked one eye open and looked at him.

Jim had moved from their previous position and his hand grabbed something from his nightstand back from the nightstand. As soon as he realized she was looking at him, he quickly withdrew his hand and his face showed a hint of fear and uneasiness.

Pam rubbed her eyes and asked "What are you doing?" He resumed his previous position and reached for her hand.

"Pam, I know this may not be the best place or time" he breathed nervously "But will you make me the happiest man ever and marry me?"

Her mouth opened and no sound came out. "I, uh-, I......yes, Jim, yes!"

"Seriously?" he asked her, in need of reassurance for once in his life.

"Yes, Jim, yes!" she squealed as he opened the small box, which was home to a bright diamond ring in a silver band.

She sat straight up and kissed him passionately; letting years of regret wash away. She readjusted herself on his tiny bed, only to find there is no more bed underneath her. She tumbled to floor and took an unsuspecting Jim with her. They fell off his bed and started laughing hysterically, partially because of the situation and partially because they were both just so ridiculously happy.

The door to Jim's bedroom swung open and concerned family members rushed in.

"What happened? Are you guys, OK? It sounded like a plan crashed through the house from downstairs!"

Jim and Pam tried to compose themselves and finally were only to let out the two words that seemed to matter: "We're engaged!"

 

Chapter End Notes:

You know the drill.... I'm on vacation for the rest of the week so I won't be able to respond to reviews right away, but have no fear I will!

 Up next: Christmas!



WildBerryJam is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Holidays with the Halperts also liked 140 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans