- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:
Just an idea that got stuck in my head. Not sure how long it'll be, but I know it won't be more than 5 or 6 chapters. Here's just a little scene to get us started.
 

"Don't jump."

She turns around to see him with his hands in his pockets, head cocked to the side.

"Would you try to save me?"

He nods.

"Listen, Jim-"

"You know, I thought I'd be mad at you.  After I left that night.  You know, I laid it all out there and you shot me down.  Twice."

"Jim-"

"But I found out that I don't think I can be mad at you for doing the right thing.  You see, what I did was shitty.  I know that.  I shouldn't have done that, but I felt like I had to."

She takes a step towards him, nodding, "It was shitty."

"Yeah.  I'm sorry."

"It's okay.  I talked to Roy this weekend.  I told him I need a little time to think about things.  That something happened that makes me think I need time."

"You shouldn't have."

"Why?"

"I'm not asking you to leave him.  I just-"

"You needed me to know once."

"Yeah."  He drops his head so he's looking at the roof beneath his feet.  "You want to be with him.  You know it and I know it.  I was just thinking with my heart and not my head.  Hell, I'm not even sure it was my heart thinking."

"Yeah, I've heard there's a little something that speaks volumes for guys."

He laughs at her.  A loud, strong laugh that echoes off the cement around them.  "Yeah, well.  Look, we should get back to work."

"Yeah."  She's following him when she thinks to ask, "When do you leave?"

"Oh, um, Thursday's my last day."

"Oh.  You'll come to visit though, right?"

"Of course.  I couldn't leave my friends for good."

She looks up at him sadly, knowing all that's happened has changed who they are.  She feels tears form in the corners of her eyes, but she wipes them away before he can see them. 

They go back to work and pretend like they have all week that nothing has happened and that they are the same.  Everything is the same except she knows he loves her and she's marrying a man she can't be sure she loves anymore.

When Jim leaves, she hugs him and he promises to call.  He doesn't.  But he does send back the RSVP: __x­­__ Attending. 

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are great, justsoyouknow.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans