- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This was inspired by Pam's comment in the finale: "I just want him to be happy." These take place in the future, set a few months after The Job. Enjoy!
Author's Chapter Notes:

This story would not even exist without the amazing help and support of Becky215 and Cousin Mose. You guys are not only amazing betas, but amazing friends. Muchos gracias to you both :)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

“You’re lost.”

“Am not.”

“Hey, that guy looks trustworthy.”

“No.”

“Please, Pam, I’m a guy and I’m begging you to ask for directions.”

“I know how to get there, thank you very much.” Her fingers clenched on the steering wheel, making her knuckles seem to glow white in the darkness of her tiny Yaris.

“Really? Because this is the third time we’ve passed that Kmart so…”

"“I know where I’m going!” she yelled. Jim tensed. He knew how badly she wanted this night to go well. Finally, after years of waiting, he was going to formally meet her parents for the first time. What would normally be a happy occasion was marred by the fact they were not going to her childhood home; they were going to the new house her parents had just purchased. It was smaller and newer, and from what Pam gathered, it looked just like every other house on the block. He knew it was hard for her to go to a place that had never been her home and never would be."

“Okay,” he said slowly. “Just…let’s pull over, okay?”

She refused to look at him, but relented as she let out a frustrated sigh and pulled onto a residential street.

“This isn’t easy. I understand—“

“No, you don’t,” she snapped. “You have the perfect house, with the perfect family, with the dog that likes everyone except me. You have brothers and sisters who love you and nieces and nephews who love you more. You have a tire swing in the front yard and floors that creak even when you try to tiptoe—which I learned the hard way.” Even in her anger, she gave a small laugh at the memory.

“And I used to have that, too. An old house with all these quirks and memories, and now it’s just…gone.” She breathed the last word, and the heartbreaking sight of her head hung low was enough to give Jim the courage to reach out and take her hand.

“It’s true, you don’t live in the house anymore. But you did at one time, since you can remember in fact. Those new people that live there now? They’re going to have to live there for years and years to create the same amount of memories that your family made. And by then, your grandfather will be haunting them…or something,” he smirked at his bizarre attempt at comfort. But it got a genuine smile out of Pam, and she squeezed his hand.

“Thank you. You’re awkward, but thank you.” She winked at him and he felt his whole body relax.

“I’m sorry I snapped,” she whispered. “I’m just…stupid Mapquest.”

“It’s fine. Look, I had a friend who used to live in this area, I’m pretty sure I can get us back on the right road.”

“No, I’m determined to do this,” she clamped her hands on the steering wheel, fiercely looking at the street ahead of her.

“Well, it’s either my way, or the highway and I know how much you hate these interstates.”

Pam looked over at him, eyebrows raised in feigned shock. “Your way or the highway? Planning on getting rid of me?”

“That’s not what I meant and you know it,” he laughed, rolling his eyes at his verbal slip up.

“It’s a good thing I—“ she stopped short, and her eyes went wide as the next word lay on her lips, waiting to be spoken.

He waited. He had waited for so long to hear her say what he knew she felt. But if there was one thing Jim knew about her, it was that she needed time. And luckily, he had a lot of patience.

“Love you.” And there it was. Pam bit her lip, like she always did when nervous, and it made him love her even more that she would actually be worried that, after all they’d been through, he wouldn’t reciprocate.

“I love you, too,” he pressed her hand to his lips, a cliché gesture but one that Pam found utterly adorable.

“Alright, Beesly,” he said, stroking her wrist with his thumb. “Let’s hit the road. Which way are you taking us?”

Pam twisted her mouth upward, pretending to heavily weigh her options. After a moment, she smiled and gave a nod of her head.

“Your way.”


Chapter End Notes:
Like it? Love it? Hate it? Reviews are the only way to let me know!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans