- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: I own not a thing, but I sure have fun borrowing.

This is just a one-shot for now, but I may turn this into a series if inspiration strikes again.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Great big thanks to TooLateKev and J Daisy for the beta! You guys rock! Any mistakes are totally mine.

And like I said, this is a one-shot for now, but it might be more at some point. No promises though. Hope you like it!


 

"I love you this much!" And two little arms flung themselves as far apart as they could.

"Oh, yeah? Well, I love you this much."

"Daddy! That's not fair! You have bigger arms than me."

"True," Jim replied as seriously as he could while staring across the breakfast table into the bright green eyes and freckled face of his five-year-old daughter.

"Okay, you two, hop up now or we'll be late," Pam said, walking into the kitchen with a squirming one-year-old on her hip.

"Do we have to go, Mommy?"

"Yeah, Mommy, do we have to?"

"Yes we do," Pam replied, pausing to lightly whack the back of Jim’s head with her free hand. "And you both know that if we're late Uncle Dwight will get mad."

"I hate Uncle Dwight!"

"Mackenzie Halpert! You do not use that word, especially not about people who are older than you," Pam scolded.

"Everybody's older than me. And, besides, Daddy says it all the time."

"Well, Daddy's different. Daddy and Uncle Dwight are really friends, they just don't know it yet."

Jim's eyebrows shot up at this, but instead of saying anything he stood up and reached for the little boy in Pam's arms.

"Come here, you," he smiled, and began tickling Owen who quickly stopped squirming and started giggling. "I'll take this one if you take that one." He nodded in Kenzie's direction.

"Fine. But if I finish first, you're on bathroom duty for the entire ceremony."

"Deal."

-----

"But I don't wanna wear a dress!"

"Well, this time you have to."

"No!"

"Kenzie," Pam warned.

The little ball of limbs that was curled up against the side of the bed huffed loudly in protest, but a few seconds later Mackenzie was back on her feet and slipping past Pam down the hall.

Pam sighed and rolled her eyes. In less than a minute, her daughter was back—wearing only her panties. "Daddy said I look pretty in dresses," she said sweetly. "And he said you owe him."

Pam couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

"What do you owe him, Mommy?"

"A big hug and a kiss." Pam replied absently, as she carefully pulled the frilly blue dress over Mackenzie's head.

"Oh. Can I give them to him instead?"

"Definitely."

"Okay!"

"But not yet, hon, we have to do your hair first."

"Hair too?"

"Yep."

"Can't I just wear my Phillies hat?"

"No, not today."

"Pigtails?" Mackenzie asked, going for her second favorite.

"No, I think you need something a little fancier."

"Can I wear your big hair clip with the polka dots?"

"Sorry. That one doesn't match your dress."

-----

Fifteen minutes, and several carefully-combed-out snarls, later Pam was opening the car door for Mackenzie and wondering how much longer the ‘boys’ would be.

"What took you so long?"

"Well, you know Owen—always wanting to look his best for the ladies."

"Are you trying to tell me that our 14-month-old son is already becoming a heartbreaker?"

"Hey, it's not his fault. He's a Halpert; it's in his blood."

Pam snorted and finished buckling Kenzie into her car seat.

"Plus, you know, I may or may not have actually wanted bathroom duty—anything that’ll give me an excuse to get out of the ceremony every once in awhile."

"You're horrible."

"And yet, you married me anyway." Jim smiled at her from the driver's seat. "Okay, is everybody ready?"

"Daddy, wait! I almost forgot!"

"What?"

"Mommy said I could give you the hug and kiss instead of her."

"Huh?"

"The ones that I 'owe' you," Pam prompted.

"Oh, right, that hug and kiss. Well, can you wait until we get there, Kenz?"

"I guess so." Mackenzie shrugged dubiously. "How long will that take?"

"Not too long." Pam assured her as Jim started the car.

"Oh. Okay then."

-----

"Wow. Church is huge!" Mackenzie whispered into Jim's ear, her eyes wide with amazement as she tilted her head toward the ceiling. It always surprised him when she got quiet like this. He shifted her body a little bit and cautiously continued down the crowded aisle to the pew Pam was saving with Owen in her lap.

"Who are all these people?" Mackenzie asked, a little louder this time, but still in her hushed voice.

"They're people who know Uncle Dwight and Aunt Angela. And you know some of them, too. See? There's Daddy's friend Toby waving to you. And there's Phyllis and Bob Vance. Remember when they came to your birthday party?"

"No."

"And there's Kelly over there. Remember when she gave you those Barbies for Christmas?"

"I don't like Barbies." Jim could tell by her tone and the way she was clinging to him that it wasn't really the Barbies that Kenzie didn't like. It was just the fact that there were so many strangers here. Both of his kids had inherited Pam's natural shyness around people they didn't know, though he was hopeful that they'd grow out of it eventually.

"Hey Jimbo!" Jim cringed as he heard his name being called in an all-too-familiar voice from the front of the chapel.

"Oh, hey Michael," he waved, and then sighed with relief when he managed to reach their pew before Michael could make it to him through the crowd. Mackenzie had already slid out of his arms and onto the bench to sit next to Mommy. She was now enthusiastically playing peek-a-boo with Owen. Resigning himself to the fact that there was no way he'd be able to convince Kenz to trade him seats so he could sit next to Pam, Jim settled into place.

Pam just reached over and put her hand on the back of his neck, rubbing it lightly.

He looked over at her and smiled. Then, leaning toward her over the little head of brown curls between them, Jim whispered, "you still owe me, Beesly."

"We'll talk about that later."

“Can you believe they asked Michael to be best man?”

“Sadly, yes. I can totally see Dwight doing that. Poor Angela though.”

“Angela brought this on herself. I mean, she’s marrying Dwight today.”

“So true,” Pam responded. “I think they’ll be happy though,” she reflected, as everyone began to move into place for the beginning of the ceremony.

-----

"Is it over yet?"

"Nope. Not yet. Keep coloring."

"Can I get a drink of water?"

"Not right now."

"Daddy?"

"What?"

"Is this what happened when you and Mommy got married?"

"Pretty much."

"Did you get married in a big church?"

"No, we got married outside in a big park kind of place with lots of trees and flowers."

"Oh. Can I get married in a park too?"

"You want to get married?"

"Uh-huh. To Steven from school."

Jim's eyebrows shot up. "Does he want to get married, too?"

"No. But that's okay—he'll change his mind."

"What are you two whispering about?" Pam asked in her own whisper.

"Kenzie's getting married."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, in a park, just like you and Daddy did, and then after we're done we can play on the swings."

"Well, that sounds nice, but do you think we could finish talking about it after the ceremony? Right now we have to be really quiet."

"Okay," Kenzie replied.

Thirty seconds later Jim felt a tug on the sleeve of his jacket. He leaned down so Kenzie could whisper right in his ear.

"Now is it over, Daddy?"

-----

"I guess we should just be glad Angela talked him out of the traditional Schrute wedding." Phyllis remarked as the newlyweds drove away from the reception a few hours later.

"It wasn't that bad," Pam said.

"You gotta admit, though, a cat as a ring-bearer?" Karen smirked.

Pam was still a little surprised that Karen and her fiancé had made the trip up from New York, but she figured curiosity had probably gotten the better of them. Actually, she wasn’t sure why Karen had been invited in the first place, but looking around, she realized that almost everyone who had ever worked at Dunder Mifflin was there. It seemed no one could resist seeing the Dwight-and-Angela wedding that Angela had been planning for so long.

"I thought it was so adorable," Kelly interjected eagerly. "He was all dressed up in that little tux too! It was soooo cute! Of course, when I get married, I'm totally not serving salad at my reception. I mean, everyone knows you come for the drinks and the cake anyway." As Kelly continued her monologue on the merits of "traditional white" versus "trendy black" wedding cakes, Pam felt Jim's arms slip around her waist and she leaned back into him.

"You ready?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Good, because I left Mackenzie with Toby and Sasha and I think she's about to fall asleep on the grass."

"That or she'll lose it and throw a huge tantrum."

"Yeah. No kidding. We'd better get out of here while we still can."

"I think we're gonna go, girls." Pam said in a louder voice, turning to the rest of the group, as Jim silently retrieved Owen from Phyllis's arms. "It was really nice to see you all, though."

"Oh, already?" Meredith asked.

"Yeah, we've got to get the kids home," Jim replied. She knew from his tone that even though it was early, he was more than happy to be leaving. It really was adorable to her that he would rather spend the night at home, putting the kids to bed and then watching a movie, than staying here to talk longer.

“Bye you guys! Say goodnight to Kenzie for us!” Kelly enthused, but Pam could see the faint hint of longing in her expression.

She felt a little sorry for Kelly, who so obviously wanted to be married herself, but she hoped the guy Kelly had brought tonight would work out. They’d been dating for a few months now, and as far as she could tell from the gossip Jim brought home, things were actually getting serious this time.

As they made their way across the lawn, Pam thought about the wedding and how much she had enjoyed seeing everyone. Jim still worked at Dunder Mifflin, though he had received several offers elsewhere, but soon after they were married Pam had quit her receptionist job to train as a graphic artist. Now she mostly worked free-lance from home, though that might change once the kids got a little older. It really had been fun to see all their old friends. Well, it had been fun to see most of them, anyway.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing." Pam replied, slipping her hand into Jim's. His other arm was still carrying a drowsy Owen.

"Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you think Mackenzie will really marry ‘Steven from school’?"

Pam giggled. "Well, you never know, but if she's anything like me, she'll switch crushes every two days for the next ten years or so."

"Really?"

"Yep. But I think I saved the best one for last."

"You mean Toby?"

"Yeah."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
All feedback is welcome!


Azlin is the author of 27 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked The Wedding also liked 1983 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Pigtails, Tickle Fights, and Secret Recipes. The previous story in the series is The Zoo.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans