- Text Size +

He watched Karen cross the room. Her hips swayed, a devilish look upon her lips. But the seductice walk wasn't for him - it was an act for Pam. Karen thought he didn't catch on to her little power play against the receptionist, but he had.

His girlfriend walked over to him, then ran her fingers along the ridge of his shoulders, moving on to pass the reception desk. She would have done much more, Jim knew, had he not had her agree that there shouldn't be any public displays of affection in the office. She had retorted, "Not even lovey-dovy eyes?" in a too sugary sweet voice. At first, he thought she was still talking about them. No, now he saw she was talking about him - and Pam. He supposed it didn't help her ego when he replied with a wry grin, "Well, maybe that."

 

His roomate, best friend and former neighbor had questioned him one night after meeting Karen. "I can't believe the two of you are together."

Jim knew his friend well - there must be a comedic stand coming up. "Because she's beautiful and sophisticated and everything that I'm not?" He guessed.

"Well yeah, of course. But also...she's just not your type." Instead of cracking jokes, Mark looked serious.

Jim tried to pull off a confused look, but he had inwardly knew this was coming all along. Mark just knew him too well for either of their own good.

"She's bossy, man. I mean, you couldn't get through the meal without her putting a napkin on your lap, then scolding you when you dropped any food or got something on your mouth...she was pretty controlling." There was more, but Mark was holding back. He had taken note in his surprise when Karen had started trashing some unknown girl that walked by their table for what she was wearing. Come on, where's the humor in that? Jim didn't like girls who did that.

"She's okay." It was a weak defense, but all that came in the response.

"But why her? I mean, I get that she's a knock out and all, but usually that doesn't matter to you. Why now? Why her?"

Jim toyed with his bottom lip for a moment with his front teeth, lost in thought. Finally, as he stared intensely at the wall in front of him, he replied, "She's different."

"Different from what? And is that such a good thing?"

Jim's mouth lost any trace of a smile. His eyes seemed to sink back in his soul, depressed and sadden. "She different from..." He shrugged. "Maybe I'll have a chance at this one."

She was different from Pam, the woman who had refused him. Mark understood well. And remembered all that time that Jim had been so upset for. So....sullen.

"You know, Pam's not married. Maybe..."

 

Jim came to life suddenly, a violent look in his eye. "No."

Pam had killed him. He had loved her, trusted her, thought she was perfect and everything he ever wanted. He had offered his heart, she had returned it crushed and lifeless. He couldn't forgive her yet. For what he thought was leading him on for so long. For wanting to marry some careless jerk instead of him.

Therefore, he was trying to move on. Trying to be blind to the fact that it just wasn't working. He was still hung up over Pam and only getting angrier at all three of them - himself and the two women - for the fact that things just weren't working out the way he wanted.

Still, he was trying. He didn't want to stay mad at Pam forever. Maybe Karen could somehow make him forget. If he tried hard enough, it had to happen. It was bound to be that.

He didn't want to be angry at her. He knew Pam could see it. And he certainly didn't want to be hurting her.

"I don't want to be a bully. So I'm dating Karen."

XXxXXXxxXXXXxxxXXXXXxxxxXXXXXXxxxxxXXXXXXXxxxxxx


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans