- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I heard this song yesterday and was like, hmm… Jim Pam… fits a bit well, I think. Of course, I am moving in 2 days and writing is the LAST thing I need to be doing.

I don’t own The Office, I don’t own the song; WildBerryJam is the best beta a girl could ask for.

            Pam remembered her first day at Dunder Mifflin. She had just finished college with an art degree and was eager to get a job doing graphic design. But, money was tight, and they needed a second income. Roy had heard that there was an opening for a receptionist at his work, and Pam applied. It wouldn’t be the end of the world; just a few months, maybe a year. They would save, and then she could get a job she really wanted.


You took my hand
You showed me how
You promised me you'd be around

She was helpless with the phone system. A strange man in glasses (Duncan? Doug? Dwayne?) kept coming up to her and talking to her about efficiency. Michael would come out of his office just to tell her an inappropriate joke. A blond woman spent the day glaring at her, although Pam had no idea why.

But Jim, Jim was her saving grace. He had come up to her around ten, and helped her with the phone system.

“No big deal, I was the receptionist before you.”

“But aren’t you in sales?”

“Yeah, that doesn’t really matter to Michael.”

They had gone to lunch at Cuginos. They had talked and laughed until the waiter kicked them out.

At five, Pam started getting ready to leave. She smiled tentatively at her new friend. “See you tomorrow?”

“Yep, Beesly. Trust me, you won’t get rid of me that easily.”

If someone said three years from now
You'd be long gone
They're all wrong
I know better
Cause you said forever

 

            That was long ago; too many years and too many memories. Before that night, Pam thought they would be friends forever. Even when Jim wasn’t in, he still was with her. He would call and leave her messages, or prank Dwight from afar. Every time, it brought a smile to her face. When he came back, he would tell stories of his travels, making mundane adventures to Dunkin’ Donuts seem exciting. He never failed to entertain her.

            But that night changed everything.


Remember when we were such fools
And so convinced and just too cool
Oh no
No no
I wish I could touch you again
I wish I could still call you friend
I'd give anything


            She said, “I can’t;” she said she would marry Roy. Her voice didn’t waver, but inside she was trembling. They were friends, best friends. But he was standing in front of her, telling her things, kissing her. Best friends didn’t do that, did they?

            When she came to work the next morning, he wasn’t there. Monday, his desk was empty. Tuesday, Ryan was there. Tuesday evening, she called it off with Roy.

            Pam tried to call him; she would dial his number a thousand times, hanging up before it connected. She didn’t know what to say; she kept picturing his face, that lone tear running down his cheek. When she needed a friend the most, he was miles away.


I'll keep you locked in my head
Until we meet again

That last kiss
I'll cherish
Until we meet again
And time makes
It harder
I wish I could remember
But I keep
Your memory
You visit me in my sleep
My darling

            She refused to mention him for the longest time. Everyone asked if she knew why he transferred, but she didn’t even answer. Most times, she would run out of the room in tears. People stopped asking, and just accepted it. They could tell something happened, and it was obvious they weren’t going to get more than that.

            She had dreams of talking to him, of going to Stamford and surprising him, telling him she made a mistake, it was him who she wanted. But as the days and weeks past, it was harder and harder. That night had changed them both, they couldn’t still be friends; they couldn’t even talk.

            Pam would fall asleep at night, tears in her eyes, dreaming of what might have been.



EmilyHalpert is the author of 44 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans