- Text Size +
EASE IN — GYMNASIUM
Concert has ended and most people already have left or are filing out. ANDY and several other members of Here Comes Treble are talking near the stage. PAM walks up to ANDY, with JIM a few steps behind her.

PAM
Hey, Andy. You guys have plans? 'Cause Jim and I were thinking about going to a bar downtown, if you guys want to go. (beat) I think they have karaoke on Friday ni—

ANDY
Done and done.

Camera pans to JIM, who gives a look as if to sarcastically say "Great." Camera pans to MICHAEL, who has put his aviators on and is standing nearby, obviously listening to PAM invite ANDY and his friends. ANDY walks over to ANGELA, who is standing by the door talking to OSCAR. DWIGHT is lurking a little way away. OSCAR silently waves goodbye to ANGELA and ANDY and leaves.

ANDY
So, Angela, a bunch of us are going out—

DWIGHT (still overeager)
Where we going? I already called my friends and told 'em I'm hangin' with the work crew tonight.

ANGELA rolls her eyes.

ANGELA
Good night, Andy. Good night, Dwight. (walks out)


Cut to TALKING HEAD — ANDY in HALLWAY

ANDY (slowly)
Do I think Dwight has been acting weird? Noooo. (beat, as he realizes what's been going on) Yessss. (louder) What the hell?!


Cut to SIDEWALK IN FRONT OF DOWNTOWN BAR
JIM, PAM, ANDY, ANDY'S 3 FRIENDS and DWIGHT are walking to the entrance of the bar. They spot MICHAEL standing outside by the entrance, trying to look casual. HE is still wearing his aviators.

JIM
Oh, hey, Michael.

MICHAEL
Hey, guys. Didn't know you were coming here. Just here with some of my crew. Jan's out of town, so we gotta hit the bars. It's man law. Like in that beer commercial. (smiles nervously/awkwardly)

JIM
Your ... crew. Who?

MICHAEL
Oh, they're, uh, inside.

JIM
Then whyyy are you standing out here?

MICHAEL
I was smoking. Cigs. Cigarettes. Gotta get that nicotine fix.

JIM
You don't smoke.

MICHAEL
Wha? Uh—

JIM
Just come inside, Michael.

MICHAEL
Okay.


Cut to INSIDE of BAR
Everyone is sitting at a booth in the corner of the bar. ANDY is scanning the crowd.

ANDY
Ohhh, hey-o. Ten. O. Clock. (everyone except JIM and PAM turns to look) Tuna, it's wingman time.

PAM smirks at JIM.

JIM
Yeah, I don't think so.

MICHAEL (desperate for acceptance)
Let's do it, Andy. Me and you. I'm an excellent wingman.

JIM
Perfect. Much better choice.

PAM
Yeah, he does have the whole "Top Gun" thing going for him tonight.

MICHAEL (taking it as a compliment)
Yes. Thank you, Pam. See, Pam knows the dealio.

ANDY (still looking around)
No, better idea. Kar-a-o-kee. Who wants to join?

PAM
Jim loves karaoke.

JIM
No, I, uh, no-

PAM
Oh, come on. Stop being so modest. You'll be great.

JIM stares at PAM for several seconds. PAM subtly winks back. JIM gets up and follows ANDY to the microphone. ANDY picks a song, and "Heaven Is a Place On Earth" begins to play.

ANDY (singing)
JIM (halfheartedly following ANDY'S lead)
Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth? Ooh, heaven is a place on earth. They say in heaven love comes first. We'll make heaven a place on earth. Ooh, heaven is a place on earth.


Cut to TALKING HEAD — MICHAEL standing next to BOOTH

MICHAEL
I love Cyndi Lauper.


Cut to TALKING HEAD — DWIGHT outside BAR

DWIGHT
Heaven is a place on earth? Um, no. Heaven is obviously an otherworldly location that only the most valiant and worthy battle-tested heroes can reach. That is the dumbest song I've ever heard. (scoffs) Stupid. No wonder it wasn't popular.


Cut to TALKING HEAD — ANDY'S FRIEND standing next to BOOTH

ANDY'S FRIEND
Andy is the man. Love that guy. (turns away from camera and yells) Yeah, bro! Whooo!


Cut to TALKING HEAD — PAM outside BAR

PAM (contentedly)
Payback is ... amazing. (beat) I can't believe I forgot my digital camera.


Cut to SIDEWALK OUTSIDE BAR
Camera zooms in and focuses on a streetlight that has a clock face embedded into the light pole. Clock reads 1:50 a.m. Camera pans to PAM and JIM, who are walking to JIM'S car. PAM is quite tipsy.

PAM
Are you coming over?

JIM (teasingly)
I mean, I have to make sure you don't, you know, pass out on the living room floor. So yeah, I think I am obligated to. (chuckles)

PAM (giggling and louder than SHE realizes)
I think we can do something else on the living room floor.

JIM eyes widen. HE looks surprised, but pleased.

JIM (flirtatiously)
Hmmm. Intriguing...

JIM opens passenger door for PAM. SHE is about to climb in, but SHE pulls JIM to her by grabbing his shirt collar with both hands and kisses him deeply for 5 or 6 seconds. SHE gets in the car. JIM shuts the door, then realizes the camera has seen everything. HE looks embarrassed/flushed for a second, then shrugs to the camera, breaks into a big smile and gets in the car.


Cut to COMMERCIAL BREAK


CLOSING SCENE — OUTSIDE MICHAEL'S CONDO
JAN pulls into the driveway of MICHAEL'S condo and sees the Miata. SHE looks confused/disappointed, gets out of her car and walks to the driver's side of the Miata. SHE sees the aviators hanging from the visor, pauses for a beat, then rolls her eyes and shakes her head.


Cut to END CREDITS



ThatsNotLukePerry is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked A cappella also liked 1082 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans