- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I wrote this in light of the winter storm plaguing my home state. It was just a tiny little thought I had and decided to get it down on paper (virtual paper) while the thought was fresh on my mind. So....

Thanks to WBJ for the beta!

 

She watched out the window as the snow and sleet fell to the cold ground. The sky was dark, the neighborhood dim, and the house a little chilly. She pulled her sweater closed across her chest and snuggled up tighter.

Her breath was forming on the pane of the window as she kept her eyes affixed to the great outdoors. Every wave of snow and rain, every sway of the trees, and every rush of wind that hit the house was embedded in her memory.

There was very little movement outside besides the storm raging around her. It was almost peaceful in a way. The storm lulled her into a silence as she watched on in wonderment. It was beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

She bounced on her heels when a chill danced across her spine. Her teeth chattered as a result and she tried to shake it off. She wandered over towards her couch and grabbed an afghan to wrap around her frozen body. Even though the house was dark and sullen when she passed through it, she ignored the lamps and light switches and quickly paced back to the view of the outside world.

When she returned to her place against the window pane, she saw a flash of lights down the street. Her eyes were entranced and locked onto the color of the light coming towards her house. She was so mesmerized that she let her eyes begin to water before blinking them.

Her heart skipped a beat when the car turned into her driveway. The wheels crushed the freshly fallen snow and ice and slid into a rut near her garage door. Immediately, a figure hopped out of the car, slung a bag across his back and carefully proceeded across the ice towards her front door. She smiled when she saw his face and at the way he tip-toed up the steps.

His hair was tossed by the wind, his jacket flapping open and the sleet drenching every part of him. She kept the blanket tightly wrapped around her as she went to the door and opened it. His knock was light and calm, despite the winter storm brewing outside.

When she pulled the door open, she smiled, greeting him to her haven.

“Power’s out,” he said, shaking the wet snow from his hair.

She shifted over so he could make it into the house.

“Mine too,” she said, smiling as he shivered once inside her house.

“Well, it’s better to be in the same house when the power’s out, right?” he asked, bending down and placing his warm lips to hers.

“Right,” she replied, helping him out his wet coat.

“Thanks,” he said, after she had helped him from his jacket. He rubbed his hands together to warm them and then pulled her into a hug.

“I wouldn’t want to spend my time trapped in my own place. Yours is much more…homey,” he said, pulling her closer to his chest.

“It is now,” she said, sinking into his embrace.

Then, they both turned and watched as the snow continued to seclude them from the world outside. With every flake and piece of ice, it only added a few more moments of time they could enjoy the storm together. Alone.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Any input is always a nice surprise...


BeckySue is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Perfect Storm also liked 1692 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans