- Text Size +
Story Notes:
An answer to the Pam Letting Her Hair Down Challenge.  And also - because I have no interest in truly earning my paycheck. :)
Author's Chapter Notes:

I don't know exactly why I wrote this - other than the fact I'm so happy to be writing again period. 

Chock full of banter, mostly fluff, minimal calories.  Consider this like an Oreos 100 Calorie Pack of fanfic.

Mmm. Oreos.

Or you know - just read it and enjoy.

Totally unbetaed - so any and all glaring blemishes are mine alone.   I also completely own my America's Next Top Model Addiction.  If you have it - you should too.  Be fierce - and proud people. :)

Disclaimer:  Don't own 'em.  Just borrowing for a bit. :)

 

"Give it back."

 

Jim holds the tortoiseshell clip in his fingers and stretches his arm beyond her reach.  "You shouldn't be so attached to inanimate objects Pam."

 

She takes a swipe at his hand and misses completely.  "C'mon.  I mean it."

 

"I mean it."

 

Pam leans back on the couch, blowing stray curls out of her eyes, smoothing down her hair with her hands.  "Look what you did.  It's a mess now."

 

"It's not a mess.  If you were to ask me - I'd tell you I prefer it this way."

 

She regards him closely.  "Really?"

 

"Yes.  Really."

 

"Why?"

 

"Why what?"

 

"Why do you like my hair better down?"

 

"I don't know.  Because."  Jim shrugs and grins.

 

"Wow.  Convincing.  Tell me something.  Were you ever on the Debate Team in high school?"

 

He looks at her in disgust.  "No.  Of course not.   The Debate Team's full of geeks."

 

"Again.  Were you ever on the Debate Team in high school?"

 

Jim laughs then, twisting the barrette in his fingers.  Pam tries not to focus on just how adept those fingers seem to be.

 

"I don't know.  You look more relaxed.  Did you or did you not say you were going to start 'letting your hair down'?"

 

"I did say that - but I didn't mean it literally.  So what - you're saying I look tense with my hair pulled back?"

 

"Not tense exactly.  But…your hair does seem I don't know.  Happier…"

 

She leans over and brushes the back of her hand over his forehead.  "Are you feeling OK?"

 

"I'm fine.  Why?"

 

"Because I'm just sitting here wondering when you got to be such a hairstyle expert."

 

"I'm hardly…"

 

"One stupid haircut and you're Ken Paves all of the sudden."

 

"First of all - that haircut was not my idea and wait.  What?  Ken who?"

 

"He's friends with…Jessica Simpson…it's…because of Kelly…"  Pam shakes her head suddenly flustered.  "Have I mentioned that I spent a lot of time with her while you were gone?"

 

"Uh huh.  It's OK Pam."  He reaches for her hand, squeezes it gently.  "Let it out…"

 

"Stop it."  She tries to pull away, albeit half-heartedly.

 

"There's gotta be a support group.  I'm sure you're not alone.  Have you checked the Y?"

 

"Yes.  ANTM Anonymous meets every Tuesday at seven."  She replies, sticking her tongue out at him.   "I don't know.  It feels weird wearing my hair down.   It means I have to pay attention to it."

 

"And hair can be so demanding…"

 

"OK seriously?  You cannot talk.  You have perpetual hat head."

 

"Um.  I rarely wear hats.  And I'm not the one who's a hypocrite…"

 

Her tone is less than playful when she replies.  "Well maybe you should.  It would help explain a lot…"

 

"WOW.  Tell me how you really feel."

 

"Look." She looks agitated, as if this is no longer a joke.  "I have no issue with your hair unless you're trying to lecture me on mine."

 

"It's not a lecture."  Suddenly wary, he hands the clip back to her.  They've still not gotten the swing of this it seems.  "I was just making a suggestion.  You are under no obligation to take it."

 

Pam studies the barrette as if she's trying to memorize it.   "I don't know why…"  She looks back at him and the laughter is gone from her eyes.  "I didn't realize you…"

 

"I - what?"

 

"Noticed or I don't know…had an opinion…"

 

Jim's eyes widen.  "OK.  You can't be serious.  Clearly I notice a lot of things about you.   And honestly?  This isn't a big deal.  I like your hair either way.   I just…"

 

"What?"

 

"Before…this..." He gestures back and forth between them. "...I really only saw your hair down one other time.   You probably don't even remember…"

 

She looks at him, completely confused.  "You're right.  I don't.  When was this?"

 

"A while ago.  You were talking to…Kelly actually about how you'd wear your hair when…"  He stops, bites his lip before beginning again.  "…you got mar…"

 

Pam places the clip on the table beside her and moves closer.   "I remember now.  I was showing her how I'd wear my hair at my wedding."

 

"Yeah.  And I don't know.  It's stupid…"  He takes a steadying breath.  "I like that I get to see you like this now.   And if I were able to see you like this, you know, at work or something, it's like it'd remind me that you and I…that we're...different now.  Or something…"  He meets her eyes, his cheeks flushing a bit.  "Never mind. This is stupid."

 

She knows what he's saying and her heart begins to ache a bit.  "It's not stupid."

 

"I didn't mean for this to become a thing…"

 

"It's OK."

 

"Really Pam.  Your hair isn't important.  Honestly, if you were bald.  It wouldn't matter."

 

Pam laughs, but it's shaky.  It seems that every time she thinks they've moved far beyond last year there's something else that comes up.  Who would ever have thought a hairclip she bought at Walgreen's for $1.99 would be the start of something like this.

 

"Well.  If I were bald it would matter to me."

 

Jim smirks.  "What?  You'd look cute."

 

"OK - well.   When you meet my Great-Uncle Morris you can be the judge.  People have always said we look kind of alike…minus the whole hair thing."

 

"Now there's something to look forward to."

 

"I will make you a deal."  Pam says softly as she reaches up to run her fingers lightly through his hair.  "You keep letting your hair grow out…"

 

He can see in her eyes what she's not saying.   It's an unspoken question, one he's happy to answer. 

 

I'll start to change…if you'll change back. 

 

"And?"   He catches her hand in his and brushes his lips over her knuckles. 

 

She sighs a little as he does.  "And I'll start wearing mine down more often."

 

"Deal."  He chuckles as she tosses her hair off her shoulders.  "So by more often do you mean like every day starting tomorrow?"

 

"No.  It'll be when you least expect it.   I'm trying to be a bit less predictable these days."

 

"Looking forward to your unpredictability then."  Jim laughs as he lays back on the couch.  Pam follows, settling comfortably in his arms.  His fingers thread through her hair as he presses a kiss to her temple.

 

The hell with predictability.   She thinks with a sigh.  As her eyes flutter closed Pam decides tomorrow will be the day to debut her new look after all.

              


xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked 30% More Unpredictable also liked 2647 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans