- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
February 2, 2011

Pam Halpert woke up with a start on the couch, her head nestled against her husband's shoulder, her feet curled up to the side, and a blanket snug around her. The credits from the movie they had been watching were rolling along on the TV.

 

"I can't believe I fell asleep again! I haven't seen the end of this movie in years."

 

Jim looked down at her with a smile. "You were tired. Besides, you know how it goes. Bill Murray finally gets it right and wakes up next to Andie MacDowell. Plus, you'll have another chance to see the end. That's what Groundhog Day is all about -- hundreds and hundreds of chances, until you get it right."

 

"I'm glad we finally got it right." Pam said.

 

"Yeah," Jim agreed. "Wouldn't it be cool to choose days to do over, though? Maybe we could have avoided the whole Year of Estrangement."

 

They always called it that, like it was a title. Physically, they had been apart for less than six months, but they both knew that the real estrangement, the distance that mattered, continued long after he came back to Scranton. Even now, years later, it still hurt a little to think about the time they'd wasted.

 

Pam shifted on the couch to face Jim, her knees tucked up against her chest, and her feet tucked under his leg. "Which day would you do over?"

 

"I don't know, maybe...the first day I met you? I could have said, ‘Hi, I'm Jim. You're going to marry me anyway, so you might as well just dump Roy now.' What do you think? Good?"

 

"That's not even the way it works," laughed Pam. "You wouldn't know everything that you know now. You'd just know what's happened in the past, and on the day you're repeating."

 

"So, you're the expert, huh?" Jim reached out and tucked a stray lock behind her ear. "Even though you slept through the movie?"

 

"Yep." Pam smiled. "So, what days? But remember, you need to follow the official rules of Groundhog Day."

 

"I guess I'd pick the earliest day I could have made a difference. It has to be a day where I did something I wish I hadn't, or I could have done better, not just a regular day."

 

"Right, because a regular day, you'd just keep re-doing about the same way," agreed Pam.

 

"Except for thinking I was crazy because I was reliving the day."

 

Pam laughed. "Right. So pick a day and say what you would have done differently."

 

Jim thought for a minute, trying to decide. "You know the booze cruise we took, when Roy set the date for your wedding? I was sick over that, for... well, until the next time I knew I had no shot." He shook his head and looked at Pam, remembering that night and a long moment when they had just looked at each other in silence. "I'm not sure how much difference a do-over would have made, but we had that time alone on the deck, and later I wished I would have said something then."

 

"I remember thinking maybe you were going to kiss me."

 

"I wanted to," said Jim. He scooped Pam up and settled her on his lap, holding her tightly.

 

"I kind of wanted you to."

 

"Really? You never told me that." Jim thought about how Pam had smiled at him shyly before she'd gone in from the cold.

 

"So, if you relived that day, would you have kissed me?"

 

"Actually, you probably don't remember, but you said something about not ‘getting' Roy, and I might have said if you were my fiancée, I wouldn't be in there doing snorkel shots."

 

Pam shook her head, "Oh, the snorkel shots! I don't know why I was so thrilled that Roy set a date."

 

"It was probably his sobriety that night that won you over. Ouch! No pinching!" Jim trapped Pam's hands in his. "Anyway, if I had insulted Roy, you would've gotten mad, and if I had kissed you, well, I don't know. I probably would have had to do something even bigger, like I did at the casino night."

 

"Well, if you kissed me, and it didn't end well, you would have woken up the next day with another chance, right?" Pam kissed Jim, so glad that all this was hypothetical, and that they really had gotten their happy ending.

 

"I guess so. What would you have done, if I'd kissed you that night, or told you I was in love with you? Would it have made a difference?"

 

"Maybe I would have told Roy we had to talk."

 

"Before he announced the date?"

 

"Maybe. Or maybe it would have been like the casino night, where I said I was still going to marry Roy. But I guess if I had known how you felt that much earlier..."

 

"What?"

 

"Well, I kind of went along planning my wedding with no help from Roy and...just, if I had known then how you felt, maybe I would have called things off earlier." Pam shook her head. "I hope I would have, anyway, because it was pretty bad timing. But just knowing how you felt, and us getting along so well, I probably would have started figuring out how I felt a lot sooner."

 

"So that could have been my Groundhog Day - it might have helped," said Jim.

 

"Maybe. Probably," answered Pam. "What about the casino night? Would you redo that one?"

 

"Oh, God." Jim shook his head. "If I had woken up the next morning, and it was still the same day, I probably wouldn't have said anything to you. I just figured it was over at that point. You said you were still marrying him, and my only chance was to get out, you know?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"So I wouldn't have said anything, or maybe I would have told you about the transfer earlier in the day. I wouldn't have put myself out there again."

 

"Then you would have woken up the next day and it would still be a repeat day."

 

"Maybe, but I don't know what I could have done to end up with you in my bed, if that's how you get past the day. Or even how to redo it so I wasn't a big rotten mess. It was kind of up to you at that point, you know? I put myself out there, and it was up to you to accept or not."

 

"Oh! That should be my Groundhog Day! I should be the one to redo the casino night."

 

"As long as I don't have to," said Jim. "Now, how exactly would that go for you?"

 

"I was really confused when I woke up the next morning, and it was like I had this big lump in my stomach."

 

"Don't you mean you woke up next to a big lump?"

 

"That, too," Pam smiled. "That's why I called in sick that day, I was just sick to my stomach, and crying a lot, and thinking a lot about things. And then, of course, it was the weekend, and when I came in Monday, you weren't there."

 

"Yeah, I feel bad for you, Pam. Sounds tough," Jim teased. "I know I was having a great time that weekend."

 

Pam scowled at him, but couldn't hold it for long. She hugged him to her and kissed his forehead. "I know it was awful for you. But see, that's why it could be my do-over day."

 

"So..." prompted Jim.

 

"So, I guess, if I'd woken up and it was the same day, I would have gone to work and been looking for clues, like ‘how did I miss that he felt that way?' Maybe I would have tried to make sure you didn't tell me you loved me, but then I'm sure the day would repeat again. I think eventually I would have told you I had feelings too, and that I needed time to think. I might have said maybe I wasn't going to marry Roy."

 

"I wouldn't have gone to Stamford then. I would have waited for you to figure things out."

 

"Jim, we could have been together a whole year sooner!"

 

Jim held her tightly, breathing her in and thinking of all the days and years, no matter how difficult, which had finally brought them together for good. He smiled as a thought occurred to him.

 

"The best part is, if you picked the casino night, I'd still have my Groundhog Day to pick, so I could redo two weeks ago."

 

"Ooh! You could have remembered to turn your phone on!"

 

"Forget the phone, I could've skipped that sales call. Then I could've taken you to the hospital instead of Dwight. I almost missed seeing Laura being born."

 

"You made it, though." Pam said, remembering her relief when he had arrived, and Dwight's resulting disappointment that he couldn't accompany her to the delivery room.

 

A sudden furious cry came from the next room, starting immediately at a high volume. Pam gave Jim a quick kiss. "There she goes again." She climbed off his lap and stretched. "Can you change her quick? I'll be ready to feed her in a minute," she said, starting to walk down the hall.

 

"No problem. Oh, and Pam?"

 

"Yes, Jim?" Pam turned around to see him.

 

"Watch that spot right in front of you. Every time we've gone through today, you slipped there, and Laura's too hungry for an E.R. trip."

 

"I'll take my chances," Pam laughed. She continued down the hall (stepping a bit more carefully, if truth be told), rejoicing in all the days, good and bad, that had eventually allowed her to share her life with this man.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks to my betas Azlin and Swedge.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Too Late Kev is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Groundhog Day also liked 1379 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Holiday: Just One Day Out Of Life. The previous story in the series is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. The next story in the series is Ash Wednesday.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans