- Text Size +
Disclaimer: The Office is not mine.

Monday's child is fair of face.

Tuesday's child is full of grace.

Wednesday's child is full of woe.

Thursday's child has far to go.

Friday's child is loving and giving.

Saturday's child works hard for a living,

But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day

Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Look, Kelly, I told you. We’re through. I’m moving to New York and you’re staying here, and well, it’s just not going to work.” Ryan’s blue, blue eyes were staring into hers, and she could tell from the tone of his voice that he meant it this time. It was over.

“Fine.” She didn’t cry. She was proud of that. After all, she could cry later, salty tears dripping into a bowl of chocolate ice cream and staining her purple sweatpants. But not now. Not in front of the man who was ripping her heart out. She just nodded, grabbed her coat from the rack next to Pam’s desk and took the rest of the day off.

She didn’t sleep that night, or any other night that week.

Ryan was gone the next day. His desk sat empty and staring at her every time she turned around. She closed her eyes and tried to pretend he was still behind her, warm and comforting and adorable.

The days ticked by wearily until it had been over a month since Ryan had ditched her for his shiny new CEO position. One Friday, Pam and Kelly sat together eating lunch in the break room

“So, me, Jim, Kevin and Toby are going to Poor Richard’s after work,” Pam stirred her yogurt and smiled at Kelly. “You should come.”

Kelly managed a smile, “Sure, sounds great.” But her eyes fell to her untouched sandwich.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m totally over the whole Ryan thing, if that’s what you mean. He was an ass anyway.” Kelly smiled reassuringly at Pam but it didn’t reach her eyes, and Pam felt a pang of sympathy.

Suddenly, Kelly’s face paled. “Could you excuse me for a second?” Pam hadn’t even finished nodding before Kelly had rushed into the women’s bathroom.

She appeared again a few minutes later, face haggard and one hand on her stomach. Pam gave her a worried look, but Kelly just shrugged it off. “I think I have the flu,” she said. “It’s totally gross.”

“You don’t sound sick,” Pam mentioned. “How long has this been happening?”

“I don’t know, a couple weeks? I don’t really feel sick, it’s just my stomach. But that’s the flu, right? Stomach flu or whatever?”

“I guess,” Pam said. “Have you had a fever or a headache?”

“Not really. Just the stomach thing. I can barely eat anything, but that’s totally great because maybe I’ll lose a couple pounds! That would be awesome. Plus I haven’t had PMS which is a blessing, you don’t know how horrible that can be, well I guess you do, after all you’re a girl.” Kelly giggled a little, but Pam just made a face. Sometimes Kelly was a little too TMI.

“How long has it been since you…you know” Pam blushed a little even mentioning it, but Kelly was more than willing to oblige her.

“I don’t know, actually. A while. I think since before Ryan left.” Her face crinkled at the mention of his name. “I can’t believe him anyway. He---“

Pam cut her off. “Kelly, I think you should take a test. Just in case.”

“A test? Like a math test or whatever? Because I am totally bad at math. That’s why I’m not in sales.”

“No,” Pam said. “I mean a test. A pregnancy test.”

Kelly gasped. “Do you think I might be pregnant? Like, with a baby?”

Pam tried not to roll her eyes. “It’s a possibility.”

Kelly squealed.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She bought the test on the way home after work. Pam told her to buy two, just in case, and said that she shouldn’t come to Poor Richard’s after all. Kelly was glad that Pam was such an awesome friend. Even if she’d been totally right about Jim being just not that into her. There were other guys in the world.


She followed the instructions on both tests and set the timer on the microwave for ten minutes. She was so excited she could barely read the newest issue of People, even though the dress that JLo was going to wear to the Oscars was a-MAY-zing. She stared at Jennifer’s baby bump poking through her teal dress and thought “That could be me. Maybe I'll have twins! Oh my God, that would be so totally awesome."

The timer startled Kelly even though she had been expecting it, and she stumbled into the bathroom, a little scared to look at the results. Finally, she got up the nerve to peek. She glanced from one test to the other and her mouth dropped.

Two lines on both.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans