- Text Size +

When I grow up

"I have to get out of here," Jim said wearily, slumping into a chair in the break room.

Pam sat herself in the chair across the table. She looked at him for a moment, licking her lips before she replied. "Seriously?" she asked.

"Yes, seriously. Why?"

"It's just...you've been saying that for years, but you've never seriously looked. I mean, except for when you left." Pam half-smiled uncomfortably. They had talked through all of that pain, of course; for the most part it was behind them, but they didn't talk about it if they didn't have to.

Jim took a deep breath. "I know. But I couldn't leave before because I couldn't leave you. And when I finally did leave...I was trying to leave you." His voice had gotten softer, and more strained. He sighed again and sat up straighter.

"This is different, though," he said firmly. "This is about work, and my future career. I can't be stuck working for Michael for the next ten years."

Pam smiled. "Come on, now. Maybe he'll leave and you can be the boss."

Jim's groan made Pam laugh. "That's not even funny," he said. He shook his head. "I told you what David Wallace said, about where I wanted to be in ten years? And how that's how I knew I had to come back?"

Pam blushed faintly as she nodded. "Well, it's totally true. All I could see about ten years from now is being with you. Dunder Mifflin? Not in the picture. But it's not like I have anything else in mind either. I just wish..." he trailed off, leaning back into the chair and running his hands through his unruly hair.

"What?" Pam reached across the table and took his hand, glancing around to make sure no one was watching. Jim smiled and squeezed back.

"I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grow up." He laughed softly, a sad, self-deprecating sound.

Pam drew his hand up to her lips and kissed it softly before turning to look in his eyes. "You are grown-up," she said seriously. "And you already are what you are 'going to be'. You are a kind, funny, outgoing guy. People love you." She smiled. "I love you. This isn't about who you are going to be. It's about where you want to work."

She shrugged. "It's a big decision, but it doesn't change who you are. Even if you decide to stay at Dunder Mifflin." Smiling again, wider this time, Pam got up, planted a kiss on his cheek, and headed back to her desk.

Jim watched her for a few moments. He got to spend every work day just a few feet from the woman he loved more than anything. Maybe staying at Dunder Mifflin, at least for now, wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



nqllisi is the author of 87 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked When I grow up also liked 2248 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans