- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, this is my first foray into the world of FanFic, at least on the writing side. I've been an addicted reader for the last few months, but decided to try it myself and take the plunge. Much love and many thanks to the bestest beta a newbie writer could ask for, Becky215.
Pam still didn't understand why Jim did that, in the middle of the day in front of the entire office. But thinking back to his hands cupping her face, his warm lips on hers, she flushed and realized she shouldn't worry if anyone noticed. After glancing at the clock and then towards Michael's office, Pam switched over the phones and grabbed her things.

"So I'm going to head out," she said as she leaned against his desk. He'd just hung up from a sales call, but she smiled at the perplexed look on his face. "Michael's on an 'important' call with Jan about the condo. He told me he doesn't want to be interrupted. It’s close enough to quitting time and I've got a date to get ready for," she explained, trying to bite back a giggle.

"So, leaving me alone to help solve Dwight's love life issues? Thanks Beesly, I see how it is," Jim said, leaning back in his desk chair and crossing his arms. "This better be some date if you're leaving at 4:18," he muttered after glancing at the clock on his computer monitor.

"Well I'm kind of hoping it is. You know this guy that I'm going with, he's pretty special," Pam grinned slyly. "Which is why I need to go now before Michael comes out wanting a new way for me to BlackBerry him his messages." She pushed herself off of Jim's desk and went to grab her coat and purse. "Later Halpert," she said with a wave as she walked out the door.

"Where does Pam think she's going? Jim?" Dwight asked coming in from the outside stairwell. "It's only 4:24. As the incompetent number two that you are, you are not supposed to allow these types of insubordinate activities to occur. Michael needs to know that you can't even manage something as simple as the receptionist..."

So much for a quiet, Dwight-free afternoon Jim thought to himself. After their conversation, Jim had assumed he made some headway with Dwight. But as his brother Jon would love to remind him, "Jim, when you assume things you make an ass out of you and me." Jim finished the paperwork that had to get done from his last sales call, a decent sale to a new pediatric practice in New Milford. As he signed his name to the last form, he realized he and Pam forgot to set a specific time for their dinner date.

Instead of making plans in front of the whole office, he decided to slip out early as well and call Pam on his way out. Jim looked behind him to make sure Michael's office door was still closed. The rest of the office was humming away at their usual pace for a late Friday afternoon. Dwight, despite being on a sales call, kept switching his sight from Jim's desk over to the accounting department. It was now or never. He filed his paperwork and cleaned up some of the mess of his desk before sliding on his jacket. Grabbing his bag and slinging it over his shoulder, Jim did one last survey of the office before quietly slipping out the door, hopefully unnoticed.

Once far enough from the confines of the office, he flipped open his phone to dial Pam. "Hey, you're not calling me from the office," she said as she picked up the phone. "I hope you're not backing out on me already." She was just about to walk through her apartment door and hoped that their plans for the evening weren't changing already.

"No, no I'm not. Very observant. I'm taking a page from you. Besides, I have a pretty big night ahead of me myself. But you were too wrapped up in your evening to ask about mine," Jim quipped. "I need to take care of a few things and then pick up my date."

"What time do you have to pick the lucky lady up?" Pam asked, grinning into the phone. "It is a lady right?"

"Funny, very funny," he said with a laugh. "Yes, a pretty special one at that. I was thinking about picking her up about seven, figure that should give her enough time to get ready. What do you think, that should be enough time for her to go through all her girly pre-date rituals right?"

In little moments like these, Pam thought to herself that this is what made what she had with Jim so special. She was so happy with what her life had become, even with the journey they had to endure to get there. She began to lose herself in thoughts of the last few weeks, thinking of everything from the smiles, the slight brushes of their hands, to the way they spent last night together at the farm. Pam also couldn't forget this afternoon. The way Jim walked through the door, with his eyes focused solely on her. The way he slid his hands up to her skin, cupping her face tenderly. And that kiss. That kiss, the amazing tingling she felt from the tips of her toes all the way up to the tips of her ears. It was a feeling that she hadn’t felt in a long, long time. That kiss made her want to never stop kissing him, never let go of him.

"Pam, you still there? I didn't lose you did I? I thought I was out of that dead zone off of Ridge Parkway," Jim asked.

"No, no I'm still here, sorry," she answered. "So yeah, I think seven would give her plenty of time to get ready for you. It sounds like you've got a good night ahead of you. And speaking of which, I better get going myself. I need to get some of those pre-date rituals you spoke of going for my night. Now you have fun and I expect a full update on how things went." Pam had to bite her tongue a little to keep from breaking out in side-splitting laughter.

"A full update? Okay Beesly, only because you asked," Jim replied. "You have a good time yourself tonight. Hopefully it’s a decent date. We’ll catch up later. Bye Pam.”

“Thanks, you too. She better treat you well tonight. Bye Jim,“ she sighed as they hung up with each other. Pam placed her cell phone back down on the coffee table before wandering out of the living room.

This is what it’s supposed to be like, it’s supposed to be fun and full of love. Love? After everything, they still hadn’t said that to each other. The last it was mentioned was the night of Jim’s confession. So much had happened since then, but despite it all, here they were finally together. They had their nights just spent laughing on the couch until two or three in the morning, talking about anything and nothing. Pam loved those as much as their date nights, the times when they’d go to the movies or go to dinner. Then there were the hard nights, where silences became intense and emotional, delving back into those days. All those moments shaped what was Jim and Pam and she loved what they had. Loved? Yes, loved. There were times she thought about telling him, but it just didn’t feel right. She thought about saying it so many times, in those moments when his hand slid against her side, pulling her closer to him or when his lips would brush against her neck, when she wanted to bring him closer, but she couldn't. The moment would die, his hand would fall away, and he would only smile. After last night at the farm, and more so after what happened this afternoon, she knew. She just knew.

Tonight, she said to herself. I have to tell him tonight.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans