- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you so much, Malcom Lake, for being the most incredible beta ever! Also, ISayOye deserves a huge thank you for being so supportive of me and my writing. 

I had a lot of fun writing this chapter so I hope you all enjoy it! Also, thank you all for the reviews! They mean so much to me!

The dress Pam wears to the party is here - 

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-2269950454913546799&id=833041&parentid=APP_DRESS_SHIFTS&pushId=APP_DRESS_SHIFTS&popId=APP_DRESSES&sortProperties=&navCount=3&navAction=poppush&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=mrn

 

 

“Hey, Halpert!” Karen said when she was finally standing in front of them. Pam cringed; calling him Halpert was her thing and not Karen’s. She examined her wardrobe and was disgusted in her slutty attire. She was wearing extremely short shorts that hiked up her butt. Her butt was visibly hanging out from the back. She was wearing an awfully tight halter top, too. She could smell the perfume fumes and it was already giving her a headache.

 

“Hey!” he replied.

 

“I just got here,” Karen said. “It’s so nice!”

 

 “Oh, come on,” Pam thought.  Karen was obviously putting on an act. Pam knew that she was just trying to steal Jim back. And how come she never included her in the conversation?

 

Jim smiled back at his former girlfriend. “I know! Pam and I have been here for the last hour and we’re getting ready to take a look around.”

 

“I would ask to join, but I should probably unpack my bags. I’ll see you around though!”

 

“Yeah, definitely!”

 

Karen waved and began to head out of the lobby and Pam immediately relaxed and loosened the grip she didn’t realize she was holding on Jim’s hand. Sometimes, all she wanted to do was grab Karen and throw her overboard so she could be fed to the sharks.

 

“You okay, Beesly? You seemed a little tense when Karen was here.”

 

For a split second, Pam felt a little frustrated that he could somehow read her mind at times. “Oh, I’m fine. It’s just a little awkward being around her, you know?” She didn’t know how to tell him that she was afraid he’d fall for Karen and leave her all over again. She couldn’t bear that. They had spent so much time as just friends and it had taken them so long to finally get to where they were. She was happier then she had ever been. They both suffered so much loneliness, heartbreak, and tears when they were apart and now that they were together it was all healed. Her heart felt full for the first time and just the thought of losing him made her want to break down on her knees and cry. She wasn’t going to let his old girlfriend interfere with their strong connection and in order to do that she would probably have to tell Jim how she felt when Karen was around at one point in time. But for now she was just going to hold those feelings inside and stay strong. She would have to keep telling herself that Jim was hers and he would always be hers because she was sure she meant as much to him as he did to her.

 

“I understand. But you have nothing to worry about because I know she’s extremely jealous that I dumped her for such a beautiful and extraordinary woman.”

 

Pam blushed and her jealousy towards Karen melted away as she saw the sincerity in his eyes. He reached down and laced his fingers through hers and they started to walk out of the lobby as well.

 

“Where do you want to go first?”

 

“Let’s just walk around and see where we end up.” And so they ended up walking every inch of the boat, and visiting every lounge, pool, and restaurant. They had a few encounters with their co-workers and tried to have casual conversations, but in the end the subject inevitably changed to something outrageously odd.

 

Jim and Pam ducked away, returning back to their cabin at 3:25 to get ready for the party that was being held in the Glory Atrium for their company. It was starting at 3:50 so they could all celebrate the cruise’s departure.

 

Pam looked in the mirror as she finished getting ready for their departure. She wanted to look nice tonight; not because it was a party but because she loved to impress Jim. She spent extra time perfecting the curls in her hair and then put on a semi-casual navy blue dress that showed the right amount of skin. When she was satisfied with her appearance, she stepped out into the bedroom and saw Jim combing his hair in the mirror. He was still in his khaki shorts but wore a pale blue button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. She walked up behind him and ran her hands up his back and onto his shoulders.

 

“You look nice,” she said.

 

He turned around and took her hands in his and replied, “You look acceptable.” She playfully slapped his shoulder. “I’m just kidding!” he said.

 

“You better be.”

 

“You actually look stunning,” he said in a flattering tone. She gave his lips a quick peck and smiled. When they arrived in the Glory Atrium most people were already there and mingling with each other. Pam took a quick glimpse around for Karen and let out a sigh of relief when she didn’t notice her. They made their way to the bar and they both ordered a white wine.

 

“Everybody here looks so. . .” she began.

 

“Top-level Corporate?”

 

“That’s the word I’m searching for. Every conversation I’ve heard has been about paper—”

 

“Big Tuna!” a voice called. Jim and Pam both turned and saw Andy Bernard walking up to their location. He obviously wasn’t dressed for work; resplendent in neon green board shorts and a white t-shirt that had, “Dunder Mifflin Scranton,” written messily on it in glitter paint. There were smears and fingerprint scattered around the fabric. His face was already burnt and he had a bad pale spot left from where he wore his sunglasses. “Fancy meeting you here,” Andy said.

 

“Well, considering we are on a trip with the rest of the company that we were all invited to—” Jim said.

 

“Ring-a-dingy-dingy.”

 

“Come again?” Pam asked as Jim made one of his beloved faces.

 

“I just—um—you know what? Never mind. So I was on the pool deck this afternoon and blondie over there was totally giving me the look.”

 

“What’s ‘the look?’” Pam asked.

 

“Oh, come on, you know. The Look.” Andy said in clear disbelief.

 

“Um, no I don’t.” she replied.

 

“Help me out here, Tuna. Your girlfriend obviously doesn’t know what I mean by ‘The Look.’”

 

“You know, Andy, I’m a little dumbfounded myself,” Jim replied.

 

“Okay, you guys are just ruining my vibe, here. I’m going to get my charm on with that girl while you both stay over here and be boring.”

 

As Andy walked away, Jim and Pam looked at each other with amused grins on their faces and let out the laughter they were holding. They were interrupted when David Wallace got on the stage and announced that the ship was getting ready to set sail. Some people made their way onto the deck. Michael was in full sprint as he tried to get out onto the deck first so he could get the best view and start a countdown. He bumped down people and spilled their drinks in the process. Jim and Pam stayed away from the commotion and sat in one of the chairs, sipping their wine. They were deep in conversation about how someday soon, Michael would surely form a protest group that focused on the betrayal of Ryan and then storm up to Corporate and fight for his return as a Temp. But they were soon distracted by their branch manager storming the stage and saying into the microphone:

 

“Welcome to the USS Dunder Mifflin’s comedy hour! I am your host, Michael Scott!”

 

Jim and Pam looked at each other with horror strewn across their faces. “I thought we talked him out of calling this ship the USS Dunder Mifflin.” Jim said. Pam shrugged and they both turned their attention back to their boss.

 

“Before I begin, I would like to announce that this whole trip was my idea. Oh! And I’m dating Jan,” Michael continued. Jim and Pam looked at each other and shook their heads. When nobody applauded at Michael’s comment, he went on. “I am the manager of the Scranton branch and we are cooler than you. So suck on that!”

 

He waited for the audience to give some acknowledgment to his so-called joke. “Everybody in my branch let me hear you scream!”

 

Of course, Dwight was the only person to stand up and scream. Andy probably would have, but he was too busy talking to the blonde woman. Michael rolled his eyes and mumbled a: “God, Dwight,” before attempting his first real joke.

“Okay, so now let’s get this party started, a’ight? So there were two muffins in an oven. The first muffin said, ‘Jesus, it’s hot in here,’ and the other muffin said, ‘Oh my god, A talking muffin!” He laughed at his own joke and said, “O-kay, tough crowd. How about this one: So one day at Sunday school, Little Sally was starting to drift off to sleep as the teacher was preparing to ask them questions. She asked Sally, ‘Who is our Savior who is the reason we are all here?’ and Little Johnny, who was sitting behind Sally, poked her with his pencil to wake up. She exclaimed, ‘Jesus, Christ!’ and the teacher congratulated her on being so attentive. She fell back asleep. Later, the teacher asked her another question. ‘Who died for our sins?’ and Little Johnny poked Little Sally once again. She exclaimed, ‘Jesus Christ!’ and was congratulated once again so she went back to sleep. The third question asked to her was, ‘What did Eve say to Adam in the Garden of Eden?’ Little Johnny poked her a third time and she exclaimed, ‘If you stick that thing up me one more time, I swear, I’ll shove it down your throat!’” Michael erupted in laughter as the audience stared in disbelief. David Wallace walked over to where Jim and Pam were sitting and took a seat for his own.

 

“Michael sure knows how to make a fool of himself, doesn’t he?” David asked.

 

“You haven’t even seen him at his fullest,” Jim said.

 

“Yeah, this is nothing compared to some of the jokes we get at work,” Pam agreed

 

“Really? I thought he was drunk for a minute,” David replied.

 

“Oh, no,” Pam said.

 

Michael kept attempting laughs in the background as the three sane adults started having a casual conversation.

 

Finally, David said, “I’m sorry to interrupt, but I’ve go to get Michael off of that stage.” He stood up and made his way up to where Michael was standing. He took the microphone from the sweaty branch manager and told him that the audience has had their fair share of laughs. Michael fell for his cover-up and took the steps down the stage.

 

Dwight stood up and clapped for him. “Good job, Michael, your jokes killed. Come on, everyone, give it up for Michael!” No plaudits followed and so he said, “You all have no comical taste. I bet you all don’t even know who Will Carey is.”

 

“I think you mean Will Ferrell or Jim Carey,” Jim stated.

 

“Jim, don’t even start. How many times to I have to tell you? I am older; I am wiser; therefore, don’t talk back to me,” the beet farmer replied. Many people looked at each other in awe. It was as if they didn’t believe that Dwight was really there and he was just a weird figment of their imagination.

 

Trays started to come around with things such as shrimp, crab cakes, and Salmon puffs. After finishing one drink of white wine, Jim and Pam both got a cup of coke. She hardly ever drank more than one drink, except for at the Dundies, but that was a different story. For a while, they eavesdropped on Andy as he was trying to hit on the blonde woman who’s name turned out to be Sydney.

 

Jim whispered to Pam, "I bet he's playing his banjo for her before the night is out."

 

Pam declined the bet.

 

Everything was going great until Pam declared that she had to go to the bathroom. She walked to the Ladies’ Room and after using the bathroom, she fixed her hair and make-up, and then went back outside. She looked around for Jim and when she finally found him, she wanted to run back in the bathroom and vomit.

 

Jim and Karen were chatting and laughing with each other. She would put her hand on his arm as they talked and he would smile back at her. He seemed to be really enjoying himself. Then, she motioned him forward and she whispered in his ear. She swore she saw her purposely linger there longer than necessary. When she finally pulled back, she saw him smile and make her laugh. They were getting along way too well for two people who’d had a messy breakup. She then saw Jim reached over and wipe a strand of hair from Karen’s face. That gesture caused her to break into pieces because she’d never seen him do that to anybody else but herself.

 

Pam cleared her throat and Jim and Karen both turned to look at her. There was a certain look on Karen’s face as she looked at Pam. It was as if she was telling her, “You better watch out, because you’re boyfriend is close dumping you for me.” It was innocent yet malicious. Pam looked from Jim, to Karen, then back to Jim. That’s when the tears began to fall from her eyes. She couldn’t control them and she felt so humiliated for crying for such a selfish reason. She then turned away, rushed out of the lounge, and then up to her hotel room where she closed the bathroom door and started sobbing. She saw people stare at her as she left in such a rush but she just couldn’t control herself. Karen had officially crossed the line and Pam couldn’t take her anymore. She sank down to the ground in dismay and let the tears fall freely. The dark cloud had officially dominated the happiness of the white cloud. The thunderstorm had now fully settled in and the rain was pouring.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are like Andy singing his own interpretation of the Oompa Loompa song. If I get a lot of reviews, I will update quickly! If the reviews are few, then you just may have to wait a while to see what happens next. Heh Heh Heh >: )

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans