- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This takes place during Dinner Party and takes a look at what might have happened if Jim really had left.

Jim closed the door to Michael’s condo behind him and stepped out into the crisp night air. A wave of freedom and relief came over him as he made his way down the steps and started toward his Saab, knowing that all he had to do now was get in it and go home and this sorry nightmare of an evening could be put behind him. But he stopped in his tracks halfway there and, like a dog that had finally caught a car, felt some hesitation and confusion at his situation. He hadn’t planned further ahead than getting outside.

Pam would understand, he hoped. Why shouldn’t she? He’d given her fair warning before they came. Earlier, as they left to come to the party, they had been running a little late and she’d been complaining about being hungry and about Jim falling for Michael’s trick. She would much rather have stayed in.  He’d assured her that there would be food at the party, and that if the party went on too long or got too weird, he’d find a way to leave. We will, she had corrected him.

Jim stood halfway between his car and Michael’s condo unsure of what to do. He could try to call Michael and get her out, but that would require a good excuse. Simultaneous Nearby Flooding Syndrome - her apartment a few blocks away from his was flooding too. That should do it.  

Except that Michael had already outsmarted him twice today, first in getting him to come to the party and then just a few minutes ago in keeping him from leaving with Pam.  Would SNF Syndrome, as he warmed up to calling it, be convincing enough? Even if it convinced Michael, would Jan or Angela see through it?  Too risky; he dropped the idea. As much as he would like to get her out too, there was no easy way.  It was best to just go on home.

He reached into his pocket for his keys, but they were nowhere to be found in his pants or coat. He remembered now:  We will, she had corrected him.  When they’d arrived, Pam had left her purse behind in his car and asked him for the keys. Go ahead, I’ll be right there, she’d said.

Jim stood there blankly for a moment realizing what had happened and then walked back to Michael’s condo and knocked.  The door flung open.

“Jim!” Michael exclaimed with wide eyes and a big hug. “Pam said you’d be right back. I guess she knows you all too well. Welcome to the party again, sir!”

“It’s a smarter party than I even realized,” Jim responded with a smile as he stepped back inside and started taking his coat off.  He could see Pam smirk at him from across the room and gave her a little embarrassed wave.  Well played, Beesly, he thought.


Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thanks again to TLK.



Swedge is the author of 16 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Every Jim For Himself also liked 869 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans