- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is my very first fanfic, so my apologies if it's rusty or needs work. I've had this idea rolling around in my head for awhile; it's based on an assignment I had in high school. I received my letter recently, and it was eye-opening. I thought Pam might have had a similar experience. Thanks for reading!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

On her way out to work, Pam stops at the mailbox to pick up yesterday’s mail. She tosses the sale papers and small pile of envelopes onto her passenger seat. Roy had to go in early today to get a shipment out, so she drives herself in, blasting her Guilty Pleasures mix CD, singing along to showtunes and ABBA, and though she won’t admit it to anyone, a couple of Hilary Duff songs.  

 

As she opens her car door in the parking lot, she rifles through the stack of mail. She finds a couple of credit card offers and a card from her mom. She takes that one with her and goes up to the second floor.

 

At her desk, she opens the envelope and finds a card with a baby dressed as a chicken.  “Hey, sweet girl, this came in the mail for you. I picked out the card because I know how much you love the idea of babies dressed in costumes. Love you, Mom. ” Pam laughs. She has told her mom about the scary poster Angela got for Christmas. She pulls out a second envelope enclosed in the card and slits it open.

________________________________________________

 

12/16/96

 

Dear Pam,


            Hello from your 16 year old self. It feels weird to write that, but I’m sure it will be really cool to read this in 10 years when I (you?) are 26. I am writing this from the auditorium, my 2nd favorite spot in the school. If the art room was empty this hour, I’d be there. Mrs. Barnett trusts us to actually do this assignment wherever we want within the school. This is our last big assignment for Communications before Christmas break. We’re supposed to write about hopes and dreams, favorite memories, anything we’d like to reminisce about in 10 years.  Then Mrs. Barnett will keep these for a decade and mail them to us.

 

            I have lots of favorite memories that I hope I’ll reminisce about in 10 years. Illustrating my best friend Sarah’s (remember her???) story in art was so neat. It made me feel like I was really, really good at something. Mr. Calhoun said that I shone, which was one of the best compliments I’ve ever gotten. That was my favorite in-school memory. My favorite after-school memory was working on the musical with Sarah, Seth, Jon, Melissa, Kari and the rest of the Stage Crew Posse.  I’ll never forget our Coke drinking game during opening night. I’ve never had to go to the bathroom more before or hopefully since. That was the night I won the Silent But Deadly award at the after party. Apparently, it means I am quiet and then when I talk, I’m really funny. Thanks, jury of my peers! My dad likes that his little girl got a fart-like award, and he thinks it’s hilarious.

 

            My favorite memory of this class was going on the field trip to Camp Pinewood for the day in October. I feel like we all really bonded, which was the intention. The best part was when we had to go through the giant “spider web” without touching any of the ropes! Once someone went through an opening, no one else could go through. Lucky me, since I am the shortest girl in the class, Josh and Roy had to pick me up and pass me over everyone’s heads. Roy almost dropped me, but then he caught me. It was slightly scary, but really hilarious. Somewhere, there’s a picture of me screaming/laughing as they pass me through that Mrs. Barnett took. She denies it exists, but I know the truth, ha!


            I can’t believe I’ll ever be 26. 16 is so much fun! By the time I’m 26, I hope that I’ve been to Paris, California, Seattle and Toronto (again).I love to travel. I hope that I’ve graduated from college with some sort of degree. Maybe by 26, I’ll have figured out what I want. Right now, I think I might want to be an art teacher or an illustrator. Then I can earn money and share my passion. I feel like I should know what I want to do, and I sometimes feel a little bad that I don’t know exactly what to do. Do I ever figure it out, Older Pam?

 

            I wonder if I will be married by 26? It’s a scary thought. My mom had Jeff when she was 26 and had already been married for 3 years. By the time she was 30, she had 2 kids. Yow. I feel kind of weird because I’ve never had a real boyfriend, except for Jamie Walters in 8th grade, and that was only for 2 weeks. We didn't even ever kiss. Sometimes I think it's pathetic that a 16 year old hasn't had her first kiss. My lovely mom keeps telling me not to worry, that someone will discover how great I am, and it might not be who I expect it to be. I’m not really worried too much right now, but I kind of wonder, do I ever stop worrying about it? If I had my way, my future husband would be like this: hard working, adventurous, fun-loving, a good cook, easygoing, and have a great sense of humor. I want to laugh a lot! My mom and dad are a good example of what I want to be. I like that they are friends. My mom says it’s important to be friends. I hope I get a boyfriend in college, at least. Jeff met Melanie on their first day in college, and they’re really cute together. I miss my big old brother.

 

All right, I’m running out of time. Words of future advice for 2006 Pam from 1996 Pam: Be happy. Be healthy. Figure out what to do with your hair. Quit whispering with Sarah at the movies. Be a good sister to Jeff. Take care of Mom and Dad. Love yourself.


Love,
Pamela Jean Beesly
          __________________________________________________

 

She puts the letter down on her desk. She’s so happy to have gotten it, so happy to remember the things she had almost forgotten. She remembers the day she wrote it, how excited she was to seal up this time capsule of sorts. Yet, a part of her is sad when she reads it. Has her life turned out the way she wanted it to?  She hears herself telling Jim, “I’m fine with my choices!” and she brushes it out of her mind. 

 

            As though he can sense her thinking about him (or maybe because he always visits her), Jim walks up to the desk and asks her if she’s okay. She smiles wanly and says that she is, that she just got a  time capsule letter in the mail and isn’t quite sure if she’s done as much with her life in the ten years as she had wanted to.  He looks thoughtful, and somehow, she knows he’ll make her feel better. Then he looks at her again and suggests that she write a new one, seal it up, give it to him, and he’ll mail it to her in ten years.

 

Later that day, the forbidden thought that maybe he could just hand it to her in ten years crosses her mind, and she pulls out a sheet of paper. She thinks maybe she will take him up on his offer.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans