- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Alright here we go! I really love sweet!Dwight, and I can't help but think that after "Money", he'd help Jim sweep Pam off her feet ;-) So that's where he's coming from here. Also, I started this right after Chair Model aired, in case anyone was confused...Enjoy!

Jim walked slowly through what now resembled a maze on the rooftop, extremely pleased with how beautiful his plan looked in action. Their lawn chairs were set up in the center of the roof, just like always, and his foreman grill sat on a stack of boxes off to the side. He saw his ipod speakers next to the grill, and Dwight trying (and failing) to hide the big orange extension cord anchoring both appliances to the roof.

“Don’t worry about that, man”, offered Jim, trying to keep to the tears out his eyes. “You really outdid yourself today, Dwight.”

Dwight turned around to face Jim, and said quietly, “I know.” He was obviously just as affected as Jim by the emotion of what they had created for Pam. “It was an honor to be a part of this, Jim.”

Both men stood there blinking rapidly at each other for a few seconds, before Jim stepped forward and grabbed Dwight in a hug. They slapped each others backs a few more times than strictly necessary, and stepped apart, each turning to press the heels of their palms against their eyes.

“Well, I think I should…before Pam….”, said Dwight, pointing to the stairs.

“Yeah, right….And thanks, man, seriously.”

“Good luck Jim”, he whispered, as he disappeared over the side of the building.

Jim pulled his ipod out of his pocket, set it in the speakers, and began to lay out bread and cheese on the grill. He knew Pam would be coming up any minute, and as he checked that the ring was safely in his breast pocket his heart started pumping faster than he had ever thought possible.

Dwight jumped down safely to the parking lot (the bottom steps are not for the likes of Dwight K. Schrute), and walked over to his car, sincerely happy for Jim, and extremely proud of his accomplishments that day. Although I will have to seriously apply myself tomorrow to make up for this loss of sales time, he thought, but maybe now Jim will be a little less of a wise-ass…

Just then he saw the note stuck in his windshield, and erased that thought has he cursed Jim and drove away.

“Had to distract Pam: chair lever is Andy’s desk drawer. Good luck.

P.S. Sorry, drawer’s locked.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pam tried to wait patiently as the fax machine fed through each page, sending off information that seemed completely unimportant compared to her date with Jim. She’d tried not to dwell on it during her weekend with her parents, but she had missed him a lot while she was gone. And now we finally get to replay our first date!

She grabbed her purse and headed outside to the ladder, glancing up towards the roof. What is that? Is he playing music? She smiled, thinking about how Jim hummed as he ran, while he showered, and as he paced around his kitchen in the morning waiting for the coffee. She had never told him about it, but on the drive back from Dwight’s beet farm she had come across a “Pam” playlist as she scrolled through the songs on his ipod. I bet that’s what he’s up there listening to, she thought, as the rooftop came into her sightline and her heart stopped.

The roof was awash with color. Dunder Mifflin Neon Brights copy paper was strewn everywhere in sight, and each swatch of green, blue, orange, purple, yellow, and pink was lit up by a candle, protected from the wind by a glass jar. The hundreds of tiny flames danced with the breeze, reflecting off the paper and making the roof seem to glow. It's just like a watercolor, she thought.

And there, in the center of the roof, back to her, was Jim. He was swaying the tiniest bit to the music (“Sleeping to dream about you, and I’m so damn tired of having to live without you”) and humming as he flipped their sandwiches.

“I brought the sodas,” she whispered, just staring at him – his face was lit up by the thousand shimmering colors that just seemed to hang in the air all around them.

He took a deep breath and turned to face her. “Thanks.” He walked over to her, eyes never leaving hers, and took her hand. “Are you ready for dinner? Tonight chef Halpert has prepared a menu of melted American cheese on toasted white bread, served with grape soda, and wine if you clean your plate.”

She giggled, “Of course!” He walked her over to the lawn chairs, handed her a plate with a perfect grilled cheese sandwich, and sat down beside her. “Jim, this is breathtaking. And this grilled cheese is amazing! Maybe I can’t ban the Foreman grill…”

“Ha! No, I can do perfectly without it, trust me. I just figured cooking on the roof was a tiny bit more romantic than cooking in the toaster…”

“Too true, Halpert. Too true. So do I even want to know how you got all of this up here without me noticing?” she asked, taking another bite of her sandwich.

He laughed, “umm….well, to be perfectly honest, no you probably don’t. Let’s just say I had help, and leave it at that.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

They laughed and talked while they ate, enjoying the music and colors and the light. The song changed, and suddenly Jim was standing in front of her, taking her plate. “Dance with me?” he asked quietly, holding out his hand to her, offering her an earbud. She laughed, stood up, and put it in her ear.

“This kind of love, is what I dreamed about,
Yeah it fills me up, baby it leaves no doubt.
This kind of love is why I’m standing here,
It’s something that we can share,
I can’t get enough of this kind of love.”

They danced like they had that night so long ago, standing closer than just friends, without the touch of lovers. But this time it felt completely different – no fear or guilt nibbling at the back of her mind. The look on his face made her want to melt into him and never leave. She gazed up into his eyes, and then followed them down as he slowly knelt in front of her. Her breath caught in her throat, and she tried to keep back the joyful tears as he finally pulled a little black box out of his coat.

“Pam,” he whispered, his voice husky with emotion, “I love you. I feel like I’ve loved you my whole life, and I definitely know I want to be with you for the rest of it.” Now she could see the flickering candlelight reflected in his eyes, so full of love. “Will you marry me?”

A single tear escaped her eye and slid down her cheek as she laughed, and happily cried “YES! Yes, yes, yes, Jim. Absolutely yes!”

He whooped and rose quickly, lifting her up into a kiss and twirling her around, knocking over a candle or two. “That’s good, ‘cuz now you can have this!” He grinned at her and pulled the ring out of the box, sliding it onto her finger, where the diamond immediately caught the colored lights all around them, making Pam sigh and tear up as she looked from her ring to Jim’s face.

He turned up the music as they slid into each other’s arm, lips pressed firmly together, and hearts completely in love.


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading everyone! It was fun to get my foot in the door with this story I'd been thinking about for so long.

The songs they listen to are Jason Mraz "Sleeping to Dream", and Sister Hazel "This Kind of Love".


untherapy is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Up the Ladder to the Roof also liked 2546 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans