- Text Size +
Many More Cupcakes
by Steph

Summary: Welcome to a very unconventional love story. Sequel to my Cupcakes, Mistletoe... fic (Toby/Kelly) featuring more of an ensemble.

That fic: http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3772

Timeline: This was also written several months ago so early Season 4 - when Michael and Jan were together, Ryan wasn’t a criminal and Toby hadn’t lost his mind. Good times.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thank you so much for reading and thanks to those who reviewed the first fic. I don't know what it is about this ship, but I have so much fun writing them.

----

Michael outed them on Monday morning. Called a mandatory meeting and explained that they were all like a family. He was, obviously, the fun father. Phyllis, the kindly grandmother, Jim his cool son.

“How old were you when you had me exactly?” Jim asked.

Pam turned to Jim. “Does this mean that Jan’s your mom?”

“Ooh!” Kevin called. “MILF!”

Kelly looked over at Toby. He glanced at her, and she could tell he agreed. This was about them.

Michael, realizing that he was losing their attention, told them that some couples getting together just made sense. Like him and Jan. Or like Jim and Pam. That made sense, right?

Everyone mumbled their agreement. Yes Jim and Pam being together made some kind of sense.

And then Michael started talking about a young woman who was sort of like his daughter. Not biologically obviously, but a daughter he adopted to save her from poverty and misery in her
third-world country. He only wanted the best for this young woman. And even though she had dated some really hot guys in the past, she was now dating someone way too old for her. Someone who, continuing the family analogy, was not unlike a creepy uncle.

Most of Michael’s audience looked lost, bored or some combination of the two.

Kelly frowned, for this was offensive on several levels. Toby wasn’t even looking at her, just staring at his shoes, his face red.

She stood up. “Meeting over!”

Dwight turned around. “Only Michael can end the meeting.”

Stanley stood up. “Good enough for me.”

“Wait,” Michael called, as people filed out. “Kelly’s dating Toby. Which is unnatural.”

The few people who were still there looked at both of them with interest.

“Really?” Phyllis asked. “That’s exciting.”

“No,” Michael said, sounding disgusted. “No. It’s not.”

Kelly had had enough. Michael touched her arm as she was leaving. “Here’s some fatherly advice. Don’t date someone just because you feel sorry for him.”

He was her boss so she couldn’t do anything really, other than just look at him and head back to the annex.

Toby was walking behind her and even though neither of them said anything, from the wounded expression on his face she knew he had heard what Michael had said.
--

Michael brought a chair into the annex. Referred to as the “Chaperone Chair,” it was there so someone could keep an eye on Kelly and Toby, making sure nothing funny was going on. It was ridiculous and demeaning.

Dwight was the first to volunteer, taking down meticulous notes. Toby had no idea what he could be writing - scandalous things such as Toby fills out paperwork or perhaps Kelly answers the phone. Honestly, nothing had changed at work other than them maybe taking lunches together. Or maybe Kelly knowing what kind of soda he liked and bringing him back one from the vending machine.

Yeah, it was pretty hard core.

Andy was next. Andy was worse than Dwight, because he needed to be entertained. Toby had little patience for him so Andy brought the chair to Kelly’s side and was soon singing Hazy Shade of Winter. Toby heard her giggling through the cubicle wall and it made the whole situation a little less horrible.

Stanley came and did his crosswords. Meredith came because it wasn’t as brightly lit in the annex and Toby was quiet and didn’t ask her questions.

And then Jim and Pam came and sat for about twenty minutes and the four of them played cards.

Pam and Jim went back to the front of the office and referred to the chair as “The Happy Fun-Time Chair” They talked loudly so Michael would overhear about how fun it was in the annex and how funny Toby and Kelly were.

The next day the chair was removed.

--

Toby was washing his hands in the bathroom when the door opened . Kevin.

“So,” Kevin said. “Did Koby score last night?”

And then he started snickering.

Toby frowned, a little confused. “I haven’t really been following basketball.”

“Not basketball.” And then Kevin giggled. “I bet Koby scores a lot.”

When he mentioned it to Kelly, she shrugged. “Whatever. Kevin’s weird and creepy. Who knows?”

An hour later, she called out to him over the cubicle. “Oh! I get it. Koby. That’s us. Kelly and Toby. That’s so cool. We have a name! Like Bennifer or Brangelina!”

“So he was asking if we scored last night?” Toby asked. “That’s a little inappropriate.”

Kelly agreed, but wasn’t as bothered by it.

They had a name! They were so like Brangelina it wasn’t even funny.

--

After they first got together, there were times when Kelly would look at him in disbelief. Still a little surprised that he was the one making her feel like this. And then that moment would pass and she would suddenly feel incredibly calm and secure in her decision.

He did the same thing occasionally. He would look at her, a puzzled expression on his face, as if wondering how this whole situation had happened. How she ended up waking up next to him. And then he would smile at her, his eyes lighting up.

But that disbelief wasn’t happening this morning. They were in her bed, kissing a little bit, when she met his eyes and said smiling, “You’re totally going to miss me when I’m gone, right?”

He blinked at her a few times, before saying, in a strained voice, “When you’re gone?”

A little confused by his reaction, she nodded and said, “Remember? I’m going on a vacation with my family for a few days. I told you.”

“Oh,” he said. He suddenly looked very relieved. “Your vacation. Yeah, I remember.”

“What did you think I meant?”

He sat up. She did the same, waiting for his answer. “I thought you meant when you’re gone gone.”

She frowned. “You mean like when I’m dead? That’s totally morbid, Toby.”

“No,” he said. “When you… when you leave. When you meet someone, who’s a little more compatible. Maybe a little younger, a little more like you.”

“Oh my God,” she said, smacking his arm. “What‘s wrong with you?”

“I don’t know,” he said. “I just… if Michael were right…”

“When has Michael ever been right?”

But he didn’t really have an answer to that and she was hurt and neither of them talked much after that. She didn’t protest when he told her he was going to go to his place to shower and shave and he would see her at work.

To avoid going to the annex, she forced Pam to sit with her in the break room and she told her about the whole conversation. Told her what Toby had said and that she was kind of pissed. Pam nodded and seemed sympathetic. Finally Kelly looked up from her coffee and said, “He thinks I’m just waiting for someone better to come along? He thinks that little of me?”

Pam stirred her tea before saying, “Honestly, Kelly, I think it’s that he thinks that little of himself.”

Kelly had not considered that. “Oh,” she said in a small voice, feeling foolish. “I never thought of that. I mean Ryan certainly wasn‘t like that.”

“No, I would guess that he wasn‘t.” Pam stood up. “I should go back to work.”

Kelly stood up too. “Pam,” she said, suddenly feeling very sad. “Why doesn’t he know how good he is?”

“I don’t know,” Pam said. “Why don’t you tell him?”

“I will,” Kelly said. She impulsively hugged Pam, saying, “I am so, so glad he got over you.”

“Wait. What?” Pam asked, but Kelly didn’t seem to hear.

--

Kelly marched back to the annex on a mission. She went to her computer, printed out the list she compiled awhile ago of things Toby did right, highlighting a few of the dirtier ones. She walked to where he was sitting, practically threw the printout at him, and said, “Don’t talk to me until you’ve read this.”

“Alright,” he said, raising his eyebrows.

She had to answer a call from a particularly annoying client and was trying to calm her down when a crumpled up paper sailed over the cubicle wall, almost hitting her in the head. Still murmuring to the client, she eagerly opened it.

Thank you. I needed that. Sorry I was weird this morning. Can I take you out to dinner tonight?

“No, I understand. I completely understand,” she said to the client as she searched for some paper. Using her pink pen, she quickly wrote a response.

You were weird. But that’s okay. I can be weird too. And no on dinner - because I’m totally taking you out.

She threw over her response, still speaking to the client. She couldn’t help but feel good. She was such an awesome girlfriend.

--

“I just thought I’d tell you that Michael sent me an incredibly detailed complaint letter about you,” Ryan told him over the phone.

Ryan called him every few days, just to find out what was going on in the office. If there was anything he should be worried about.

There usually were several things for Ryan to be worried about.

“What else is new?” Toby asked. He rubbed the back of his neck. “Anything in particular?”

“Let’s see,” Ryan said. “According to Michael, you’ve been acting inappropriately toward one of your coworkers. What’s that about?”

Toby sighed, trying to figure out the best way to proceed. “Well, I’ve been seeing someone…”

“Kelly, right?” Ryan asked, surprising him.

“Yeah,.” He sat back into his chair. “Michael told you about it?”

“That was mentioned in his letter. But Kelly emailed me about it awhile ago.”

That could be bad. “Really?”

“Yeah. She sent me this very long email saying that after dating a boy like me, it was so much more satisfying dating a real man.”

“Sorry,” he said, embarrassed.

“It’s okay. It was actually a little humbling.”

Toby couldn’t tell if Ryan was joking or not.

“I think Michael was under the impression that I was going to come back to Scranton and fight you for her,” Ryan continued. “I don’t think that Michael ever really got that you and I are friendly.”

“Probably not.” Toby paused and asked, “You’re not upset or anything, are you?”

“About you two dating? Definitely not. I’ve been dating this one girl for awhile now. She actually does some modeling here and there. She‘s gorgeous. And as a plus, completely not crazy.”

He was about to say something defending Kelly, when Ryan said, “Oh I have a meeting in a few minutes so I should go. Let me know if Michael does anything else. Crosses any kind of line regarding you and Kelly.”

“Will do.”

“Toby?” Ryan said.

“Hmm?”

“Take care of her.”

And it was such a surprisingly sweet sentiment from Ryan that it caught him completely off-guard.

“I will,” he promised and hung up.

--

“Did Toby have a crush on me?” Pam asked.

Jim looked up from the TV. “Yeah. Why? Did he say something?”

“No, Kelly did. She said that she was so glad that he got over me.”

Jim nodded, not saying what he was thinking.

He was pretty glad himself.

--

“You know how in romantic comedies when there’s a couple that is a little mismatched? The girl who’s into shopping and clubbing and the guy’s who’s probably smarter and more serious and they totally change each other? Like at the end the guy goes out clubbing with her and she goes to libraries and everything? It’s not like that with me and Toby. I mean sure I’ve bought him a shirt or two, but just because he looks so much better in darker colors like green or blue to match his eyes, but I don’t want to make him over or anything. He’s already hot in his own way, you know? And I would never make him go clubbing, because that’s not his thing. I‘ll go clubbing with friends. And he doesn’t make me feel stupid or anything. Which is nice. Because sometimes Ryan made me feel stupid. And I’m not stupid. And you know how Toby’s so sad, right? I can totally make him laugh. Which is awesome. Don’t you think that‘s awesome?”

Oscar closed his eyes and vowed to himself that the next time Kelly asked him to hold the elevator, he would pretend not to hear her.

--

“Hello?” Kelly frowned at the phone when she heard the familiar voice. “Yeah he’s here. You want me to ask him? Okay. Hold on.” She called out to Toby, “Darryl’s having a poker game tomorrow. Want to go?”

“Sure. Sounds fun.”

Okay. This was getting kind of odd.

Why was he friends with all her ex-boyfriends?

---

Toby and Darryl ended up getting along so well that Kelly and Toby’s first double date was with Darryl and his new girlfriend, Elizabeth, not Pam and Jim, as she had assumed.

Toby was trying to place Elizabeth, who looked familiar, when Kelly gasped. “I know you! You’re the stripper!”

“That’s me,” Elizabeth said proudly. “Man, I’m starving. I worked four parties today.”

No one asked for more details.

--

In the women’s restroom, Elizabeth offered to show Kelly some of her patented stripper moves one day.

Kelly readily and quite excitedly agreed.

--

They had been dating for four months (several of the coworkers had confessed to the cameras that they hadn‘t expected them to last that long) when Michael held some meeting about something or other and she wasn’t really paying attention, because it was boring and Toby was wearing the shirt she got him on Valentine’s Day, which was a gorgeous dark green color and looked so good on him, but it was about some company retreat Michael wanted to plan.

And Toby stood up, and patiently explained why they couldn’t do it the way Michael had planned. Explained some regulations in his calm, soft voice and Kelly was trying hard not to think about how that voice had said her name last night, when she heard Michael say, “Stop. Just stop.”

“But--.”

“No,” Michael said. “You just don’t want anyone to have any kind of fun at all, do you? I’m trying to make life better for all these people and you’re just ruining everything for everyone. If you only knew how much everyone in this room hated you.”

Toby seemed to slump a little. Kelly glared at Michael, who seriously sucked. Michael met Kelly’s death glare and said to her, “Seriously. What do you see in him? He’s like the most horrible person ever. You could do much better.”

No one said anything.

Toby closed his eyes, opened them again and silently walked out of the conference room. Kelly glared at Michael some more, before finally just walking out too, heading for the annex. Toby stood next to his desk.

“Oh,” he said softly when he saw her. “That was fun.”

And she knew about that memo Toby had sent out about PDAs and everything, but screw it. Screw Michael she thought to herself. She walked over to him and hugged him.

He hugged her back and she tightened her arms around him, burrowed her face into his chest. She started to cry. Just a little bit at first and before she knew it she was sobbing in his arms.

“Hey,” he said, rubbing her back. “It’s okay. I’m okay.”

That only made it worse. That he was comforting her when it should have been the other way around.

“You’re not horrible,” she finally choked out, between sobs. “You’re smart and nice and handsome and have an awesome happy duck laugh. And you’re like the only one here that Ryan likes. And Darryl thinks you’re cool.”

“Maybe I should quit.”

She pulled back to look at him. “If you quit, will you dump me?”

“Dump you?” he asked. “Why would I dump you?”

“Ryan dumped me when he left.” She sniffed. “I don’t want you to dump me.”

“I’m not dumping you,” he promised.

“Then yes,” she said. “Get a new job immediately.”

Neither of them said anything for a little bit. Just stood together, holding each other.

“Kelly,” he finally said. “I’m going to take Sasha to the mall this weekend. I would love it if you joined us.”

She smiled. “I’d like that too. Count me in.”

“Good,” he said. He let go of her and said, “Maybe you should go to the restroom. Your makeup…”

“Got it,” she said, grabbing some supplies out of her purse.

“Thank you, Kelly,” he said. “For everything. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.”

In the bathroom, washing her face, she heard Michael’s mocking tone in her head. Telling Toby that everyone hated him.

No one hated him except Michael. Everyone liked him.

And Kelly herself?

Kelly thought she might love him.

--

Kelly had met Sasha a few times. There were the Take Your Daughter to Work days and once Toby had brought her in wearing an adorable Daisy uniform selling Girl Scout cookies. Kelly had bought two boxes of Thin Mints (which were so awesome frozen) and pointed out to Ryan what a great mother she’d be one day.

Ryan had turned white.

But that was awhile ago. That was before she and Toby had started dating. And this was super important. She had to make a good impression.

Because Kelly had a feeling, although she was keeping it to herself, that one day she was going to be Sasha’s stepmother.

And not one of those mean stepmothers like in fairy tales. She’d be a cool stepmother.

She was supposed to meet them at the mall food court. She found a table and waited, people watching.

She finally spotted them and waved them over. Sasha looked so much older than when Kelly had last seen her. She didn’t know how old she was now. Seven? Eight?

She was so cute. Blonde, freckles.

Kelly wanted to give her a big hug, because she was that cute, but that might be overdoing it a little. She didn’t want to scare the poor kid off.

“Hey,” Toby said to her. “Sorry we’re late. Sasha had dance class this morning so she had to go home and change.”

“No problem.”

“Sasha, you remember Kelly, right? You met her when you came to visit me.”

Sasha nodded “You sit next to my dad.”

“Right,“ Kelly said. “What kind of dance class are you taking?”

Sasha looked up at Toby. He smiled at her. “You can answer her.”

“Ballet,” Sasha said, sounding a little shy. “I wear a leotard for class. It’s purple.”

Kelly grinned, looking down at her own purple sweater. “Purple is an awesome color. Do you have a tutu too?”

Sasha giggled. “Tutu too. I have a tutu too. I have two tutus too.”

Kelly laughed. “Cool. Well, I don’t know about you guys, but I’m starving.”

“Me too,” Sasha said. “Starving! Pizza!”

Over really bad slices of pizza, with Toby’s gentle prodding, Sasha told them about ballet class and her upcoming recital. And she was playing a princess in the recital and Annie, her best friend, was playing a witch.

Princesses were much better.

“I never took ballet,” Kelly said. “My sisters did though.”

“I don’t have a sister,” Sasha told her. “I have a brother. He’s a baby though.”

Kelly met Toby’s eyes. “Yes,” he said, in a cheerful voice. “Sasha’s mom had a baby last year.”

“Well,” Kelly said, eager to change the subject. “I don’t know how to do ballet, but I know how to do some dances. For celebrations - like Diwali.”

“What’s that?” Sasha asked.

“It’s this really cool party. And there’s lots of music and dancing. And the girls are so lucky, we get to wear these really awesome saris. Saris are kind of like dresses, but much prettier. And the food is really good. Do you like spicy food, Sasha?”

Sasha nodded her head. “Yes.”

“You do?” Toby asked, smiling, handing her some napkins. “Since when?”

“Since forever,” Sasha said seriously.

“Remember those tacos I made for you a few weeks ago? You didn’t like those.”

“But those were yuck.” She giggled again. “There shouldn’t be green things in tacos.”

Kelly nodded. “I agree completely.”

“I learned my lesson,” Toby said. He took Sasha‘s tray, stacked it on top of his. “What do you want to do now?”

“Movie!” .

He looked at Kelly. “There’s a cartoon that Sasha wants to see. It’s playing here. Do you want to come?”

“I want to do some shopping,” Kelly said. “There are crazy good sales. But I can meet you back here in two hours or so and we can get ice cream or something. How does that sound?”

“Good,” Sasha said. “I love ice cream.”

That was the plan they agreed to. Kelly watched the two of them leave. She thought it went well.

Darryl’s bratty daughter had hated her on sight. She hoped Elizabeth was having better luck with that demon child.

She bought a few pretty skirts, some new lipstick. And then bought some plastic, purple bracelets for Sasha. Not to bribe her, but just as an “I enjoyed meeting you” gift.

And the accessories store was right next to Victoria’s Secret.

Hmm… maybe she would buy a gift for Toby as well.

---

The next weekend, he was waiting in his car to pick up Sasha when someone rapped on his window.

Great. His ex-wife. What was this about? The two of them had perfected a pick up/drop off system with Sasha where they wouldn’t have to see each other.

This could not be good.

He rolled down his window.

“Hi,” he said uncomfortably.

“Hi,” she said, just as uncomfortable. “Sasha will be out in a minute.”

“Okay.”

She still stood there.

“What?”

“Sasha drew something. She wanted to put it on the refrigerator, but I thought you’d like it more than we would.”

He took the folded up piece of paper from her and opened it. He couldn’t help but smile. It was a picture of him - he could always tell the way she drew him. Orange circle for the face, brown scribbles for the hair. Next to him though was another figure.

Brown circle for the face. Black hair. Pink and purple dress.

“Wow,” he said.

“She drew it a few days ago. Wanted to know how to draw a sari-dress. I asked her why and she said because Kelly wears a sari-dress. Until I saw the finished picture and asked a question or two, I thought Kelly was some girl at her school or something.”

“No.”

“I guess not,” she said. “Well, Sasha’ll be out soon.”

“Alright.”

“Well,” she said. “I’ll see you.”

“Okay.”

“Toby,” she said. She frowned, looking as if she was debating saying something. Finally she said, “I’m….” and after a long pause, “happy for you.”

He wasn’t sure, but thought it sounded almost genuine.

“Thank you,” he said, and they both looked relieved when Sasha finally skipped toward the car.

--

When he handed Kelly Sasha’s picture, she was so touched she showed almost everyone in the office, before proudly taping it to her cubicle wall.

That night, she showed him what Elizabeth had taught her.

--

He began to go on interviews using his vacation time and changing around his lunch schedule. Only Kelly knew that he was job hunting. He went on a few interviews where he really liked the people, the environment and heard nothing. He went to one place and got a very weird vibe from both the office and the interviewer. Toby turned that job down when they offered it to him.

Kelly assured him he had made the right decision.

He had been going on interviews off and on for about a month when he went to one place. The corporate headquarters of an art supply company. It was maybe twenty minutes away from Dunder Mifflin. The manager who interviewed him seemed sane, competent and reasonable.

He was called back a few days later for a second interview.

Toby was a little disappointed when he didn’t hear anything from them.

But that was okay.

He sent out another round of resumes.

--

Kelly was filling out some order forms when she heard Toby answer his cell phone.

“Hello.” A pause. “This is Toby.”

And then he suddenly lowered his voice and after a few minutes he hung up and wheeled his chair over to her side.

“What’s up?” she asked.

He looked at her, a slightly dazed smile on his face. “I got it.”

“Got what?”

“The job,” he whispered. “The art supply company. Apparently one of the people who was in charge of hiring had to go to Europe unexpectedly and just got back yesterday. But they want me to start in three weeks.”

Almost everyone in the office heard Kelly’s loud, happy shriek.

--

He sent out a quick, formal email to the head of HR in New York giving his notice. A slightly less formal one to Ryan. An email to Michael, two sentences long. And then he sent a mass email to the whole office, telling them he had accepted another job and had enjoyed working with all of them.

In most cases, he actually meant it.

--

Almost everyone went out for drinks on Toby’s last day.

Pam and Jim sat together, having fun, when Pam suddenly nudged Jim.

“Look at him,” she whispered.

“Who?”

“Toby.”

Jim looked over. Toby was standing, talking to Darryl and Elizabeth. Kelly stood next to him, holding his hand and looking at him adoringly. Kelly said something then, causing them all to laugh. And then, to Jim and Pam’s surprise, Toby let loose with a hearty, loud laugh.

“Is he drunk?” Pam asked.

“I don’t think so,” Jim said. “I’ve seen him drunk before. It’s more depressing than anything else.”

“He’s happy,” she said. “Look how happy he is.”

“He’s getting out of here,” Jim said. “It’s the new job.”

“That‘s part of it,” Pam said. “But I think more than anything, it’s Kelly. He’s that happy because of Kelly.”

Whoever would have guessed?

--

“Congratulations on everything,” Jim said.

“Thanks,” Toby said. “I’m glad you guys all came.”

“Yeah,” Jim said. “Want to come outside with me for a minute?”

“Sure.”

The two of them stood outside, not really speaking, before Jim said, “I’m really glad you’re getting out of here. I mean we’ll all miss you, but--”

“No, I know,” Toby said. “It was just too much for me. I mean it was always bad, but once he found out that Kelly and I were involved…”

“I know,” Jim said. And before he could censor himself he said, “It sucks to have someone out your relationship at work. Someone at work who is so obviously upset about who you‘re dating.”

Toby nodded slowly, immediately getting what he was saying. He looked away from Jim. “You‘re right,” he said. “You’re right. And I’m sorry. There was a period where I wasn’t acting in the most professional way.”

“You were acting a little strange.”

Toby sighed. “I had a really bad couple of months, Jim. It’s not an excuse, but I just want to let you know. There were some situations with my… with Sasha’s mother. And work was getting more and more unpleasant. And for the longest time I was hoping for something that deep down I knew was never going to happen and when that was pointed out to me, I stopped acting like myself. I just… it was stupid. I can see that now. But it was a lot more than that one thing. I wasn’t doing too well for a lot of reasons. They,” and he paused, “put me on antidepressants again. Just for a little while.”

Jim hadn’t know any of this. “Really?”

“Yeah. It helped. And I started seeing the therapist more frequently than I had been.”

“I didn’t know,” Jim said.

It sounded stupid, but he didn’t know what else to say.

Should he have known?

Toby shrugged. “It’s not exactly something I like to broadcast.”

“We’re friends though,” Jim said. “If you had needed anything…”

Toby didn’t say anything at first, continuing to stare straight ahead. “Maybe I should have said something to you. I know we aren’t as close as we used to be, but it still might have helped. I just know I wasn‘t myself. And I know I wasn’t a good HR person or a friend to either you or Pam.”

“It’s okay,” Jim said. “And you’re doing better now, right?”

“Lots,” Toby said. “Things are going really well. Getting a new job. And everything with Kelly.”

He sounded surprised, as if not quite sure all how this good fortune had happened.

Jim tried to lighten the mood a little. “You won’t forget us?”

“Not even if I wanted to,” Toby said, smiling.

They were walking back inside when Jim said quietly, “If you do ever need to talk, I’m here.”

“Thank you,” Toby said, just as quietly. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

--

“Everything okay?” Pam asked Jim.

“Yep,” he said, grinning at her. “Just straightening some things out.”

--

On his first day at his new job, Kelly picked out an outfit for him, down to the tie and socks.

“Now you can’t go in there acting all shy and unsure. You have to go in there knowing you’re awesome.”

“Okay,” he said, standing still as she straightened his tie. He leaned toward her, kissed her. She kissed him back before pushing him away, laughing. “You’re going to get all mussed up. Now stand still. I need to see the whole picture.”

He stood completely still. Finally he asked, “So what’s the verdict?”

“You look awesome and you’re going to kick ass today.”

“Thanks.” He stared at her for a second. “I’ll call you on my lunch break.”

“You better.”

“I love you.”

It came out so naturally. It was the first time he had said it to her. She squealed and repeated it back to him. And then kissed him again, suddenly not that concerned about him getting mussed up.

--

They were told Corporate had hired a new HR person named Amber.

“Total hot girl name,” said Kevin. “I bet she’s hotter than Pam.”

“Thank you, Kevin,” Pam said.

As sad as she was about Toby not being there, Kelly had to admit she was excited about a new face in the annex. Kelly hoped Amber would be fun and they could hang out together and go to lunch together and gossip - and she wouldn’t end up missing Toby so much.

Amber, to everyone’s surprise, was a woman in her forties, with a permanent scowl on her face.

Within minutes, it was obvious to everyone that she had a personality that made Angela’s look easygoing and carefree. She seemed to be angry at everyone and already made some comments about changes she was planning to institute.

But still Kelly was planning on giving her the benefit of the doubt. It was her first day at a new job and maybe she was just nervous. Kelly gave her a huge smile, welcomed her to the annex, told her to come to her with any questions about anything and maybe they could go to lunch or something and Kelly could tell her about everyone.

Amber had frowned at her. “I don’t think so.”

Still Kelly hadn’t given up hope. She answered the phones, did her internet stuff. Stood up to get a drink and was about to ask Amber if she wanted anything when Amber shook her head at some files.

“Whoever it was,” Amber said, still sounding furious at the world, “that had this HR position before me was terrible at filing. And these notes…”

Kelly crossed her arms. “That person you’re talking about is my boyfriend.”

She stormed away.

Amber could get her own damn soda.

--

Toby’s new job was weird. There were about fifteen people in the office. The manager held a meeting to welcome him and did not say one insulting thing to him or about him. His coworkers seemed pleasant and normal. He shared a work area with a woman in her thirties named Laura, who smiled at him and then went quietly back to work.

He read through HR files. It was all minor stuff. Dress codes, health plans. Stuff like that.

No horrible complaints.

It took him awhile to get used to the lack of cameras. He kept turning around, looking behind him.

There were no cameras.

He wasn’t being filmed.

He was going to like it here.

--

“What do you think of Amber?” Michael asked Jim.

“She’s a little … abrasive.”

“She’s in my office all the time yelling at me. Telling me that I have no control of my employees. Saying that way too much time is wasted on stupid things. Telling me I act inappropriately. She has no sense of humor obviously. She seems to hate us all.”

“Maybe,” Jim said. He smiled at the camera. “Or maybe she just has a crush on you. And that’s why she keeps coming into your office.”

Michael considered this. Finally he nodded. “That must be it. You’re very wise, Jim.”

“You should let her down gently. Tell her you already have a girlfriend.”

“Yes. Yes. I’ll do that.”

--

Kelly took Toby to meet her parents and her sisters one weekend.

Her parents liked him immediately, because he was well-spoken and respectful.

And maybe a little because beforehand she had told him that he was HR, which was like being a psychiatrist, which was like being a doctor.

Her sisters referred to Toby as Grandpa, in a language he fortunately did not understand. They told Kelly later that Ryan was way hotter than Grandpa and she should totally get back with him.

Her sisters were so stupid.

--

Jim walked into the annex one day, looking away from Amber’s angry stare, and went over to Kelly.

“Did you get my email? About the barbecue?” Jim whispered.

People tended to whisper around Amber.

“Yes,” she whispered back. “Sounds cool. I bought the cutest sundress last weekend. It‘s this sort of light green color and I don‘t usually like green, but this was so pretty and I already had the earrings to match.”

“Great,” Jim said. “Make sure Toby comes, okay?”

They hadn’t really talked since Toby’s going away party and Jim wanted to make sure things weren’t awkward between them.

“Some people are trying to work here,” Amber said.

Kelly and Jim looked at each other and tried their hardest not to laugh.

---

The third day at his new job was Laura’s birthday. Jill, the receptionist, gave her a card and had chocolate chip cookies for the whole office. Jill took down when Toby’s birthday was and told him to let her know a week beforehand what kind of baked goods he wanted.

“Wow,” Toby said to Laura. “My birthday’s actually going to be celebrated here?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?” She laughed. “Did they celebrate everyone’s birthday but yours at your last job?”

When he told her that was exactly what happened at his last job, she offered him the leftover cookies to take home.

--

Jim’s barbecue was on a nice, warm day. Everyone seemed really happy to see him even though it had only been a few weeks. Everyone, from Oscar to Phyllis to Pam to Andy, had an Amber story to share.

Toby took over for Jim briefly at the grill. He looked up to take his first order and saw Michael.

Of course.

“Hamburger or hot dog?” Toby asked pleasantly.

Michael smirked at him. Toby didn’t say anything, but he didn’t look away either.

Why should he? What did he have to worry about?

He didn’t work with Michael anymore. What could he do?

“Burger,” Michael said. “So how’s the new job? Everyone hate you?”

“Nope,” Toby said. He turned away to finish cooking.

When he put the burger on Michael’s plate, Michael looked at him again.

“Amber’s horrible,” Michael said in a low voice. “I hate her more than I ever hated you.”

Toby looked past him, not knowing how to respond (should he have thanked him?) and asked the person behind him, Oscar, what he wanted to eat.

--

It was weird, Kelly thought to herself. Toby was so different. Happier. People at work liked him.

And thanks to her and Darryl, his social life had probably never been better,

Maybe he wouldn’t need her as much anymore. Maybe he would dump her. Maybe he would date his new office friend, Laura.

Kelly would bet that Laura was kind of a slut.

When she tentatively mentioned this to Toby one night (not sharing her theory about Laura being a slut), he told her she was being silly. Told her that he wasn’t interested in Laura at all.

Told her how much she meant to him. How wonderful she was.

And then he told her he loved her again. She said it softly back to him, her voice squeaking a little as he proceeded to show her.

--

Toby gave his first presentation at his new job. Just something about email and phone etiquette.

The manager didn’t once interrupt him, didn’t insist he could do a better job leading the presentation.

Didn’t call him a creep, an idiot or the worst person around.

The manager actually applauded when he was finished.

Toby almost hugged him.

--

Toby began running again. It had been awhile. He’d run mornings when it was still early, just barely light, still quiet.

He was going to do a marathon in a few weeks.

While he ran, he did some of his best thinking. About work, about life.

It was when he was running one morning that he made one very big decision.

---

Kelly woke up early one morning in her apartment. He wasn‘t there, running probably. She stretched and stumbled into the kitchen for some coffee.

It was already made and there was a note on the table saying he’d be back soon and that he was bringing her something. She grinned, finished her coffee, and got in the shower.

He didn’t come back until she was already dressed. She let him in, gave him a kiss. His skin was warm and his nose and forehead were pink. He was bad about sunscreen sometimes.

“Got you something,” he said. He placed a bag in front of her.

She opened it eagerly. A cupcake. White cake, blue frosting.

“Like the one you got me for my birthday,” he said. “After you danced in my car.”

“Yep,” she said, smiling at the memory. “You still haven’t learned how to Shopping Cart.”

“This is true.”

“I’ll save this for lunch,” she said. “It’s early for a cupcake.” Despite that statement, she ate some of the frosting. “Thank you!”

“Got you something else,” he said.

“Awesome,” she said. “What?”

He placed a small box on the table and stood behind her.

She knew what this was. Earrings. There was this pair that she wanted so much and she had hinted about them for her upcoming birthday. He was the best boyfriend ever. Seriously. Ryan should take lessons.

She opened the box excitedly. “Thank y--” She stopped, mid-sentence.

That wasn‘t a pair of earrings.

She closed the box, not quite believing it. She opened it again, blinked, her stomach flipping in excitement.

When she finally took her eyes off the present to look at him, she gasped.

He was on one knee.

“Yes” was out of her mouth before the question was asked.

---

Pam was on the phone when Kelly walked in.

She was grinning, a huge wide smile.

Kelly stood in front of Pam’s desk and waited. And then she started bouncing. Bouncing!

When Pam hung up the phone, she asked, amused, “What’s up, Kelly?”

Kelly bounced again. Stopped, took a deep breath. Then another. One more bounce, before she set her hand on the receptionist desk.

“Look!” Kelly yelled. “Look!”

Pam looked. Saw the ring. “Kelly!”

“This morning!” Bounce. “I thought he had bought me earrings because my birthday’s next week. And then I opened the box and saw this. Oh, I have so many things to do.” She looked at her hand again. “This! Is! So! Awesome!” Bounce.

“Congratulations, Kelly,” Pam said. “I’m really happy for you two.”

And people began coming up and Kelly showed off her ring and told them how he had proposed, how he had given her a cupcake and some (but not all) of the things he had said. She accepted congratulations and hugs and felt like a million bucks.

And then, roused from his office by the commotion. Michael walked over to them. “What’s going on?”

“I’m engaged,” Kelly said

Oh, she was going to love saying that.

“Huh,” Michael said. “Who‘s the lucky guy?”

She tried not to roll her eyes. “To my boyfriend,” she said pointedly. “Now my fiancé.”

She was going to love saying that too.

Jim grinned at her. “I’m pretty sure he used to work here. Sat in back, maybe?” He raised his hand close to his head. “About yea high?”

Pam nodded. “I think you’re right, Jim. He was a quiet fellow. If only I could remember his name…”

Michael smirked at Kelly. “You’re really engaged to Toby? But he---”

And then he stopped mid-sentence as Amber walked towards him, papers in hand. “Michael!” she bellowed. “We need to go over these ridiculous trips you’re planning. This is a place of business, not a summer camp! I’ll be waiting in your office.”

Without waiting for a response, she headed towards his office, shaking her head the entire time.

Michael looked at Kelly. He looked toward his office then back at her. Finally he mumbled, “Maybe he wasn’t the worst person in the whole wide world.”

---

Kelly went to the break room because she needed to get away from Amber for a little bit. She had been in such a happy mood - what with getting proposed to this morning - so of course she had to call her family and her friends and leave a message for Ryan telling him that real men aren’t afraid of commitment.

And then she had to call Toby to make sure she wasn’t dreaming.

She wasn’t.

And people kept coming by to talk to her. Phyllis. Meredith. Andy serenaded her with White Wedding (um… okay). Kevin wanted to know if they had picked a band yet.

Amber was having none of this and asked if they could take this elsewhere so she could work.

Whatever.

Miserable cow.

Jim came into the break room and Kelly threw her arms around him. “Jim!” she said. “I am so, so happy!”

He laughed. “I can tell.”

“You were the one who made this happen,” she said. “You were the one who talked to Toby for me. “

“I’ll be honest,” he said. “When you told me that you were… interested in him, I kind of wondered if it was a rebound thing too.”

“Okay you’re so not giving a toast at the wedding.” She frowned. “Do you think you’ll be Toby’s best man?”

“That’s up to him.”

“I know,” she said. “God, I hope he asks you. You’re like the only guy friend of his who I haven’t slept with.”

--

Kelly promised Pam that she wasn’t stealing any wedding ideas from her. “I know some people took all your cute ideas, but I won’t.”

“Thank you, Kelly.”

“Trust me. I’ve had my whole wedding planned since I was twelve years old.”

---

Some decisions were easy. Sasha would obviously be the flower girl. Kelly’s sisters would be bridesmaids.

Some decisions were more difficult. Like the guest list. She really didn’t want to invite Ryan. But he and Toby were friends.

Fine. He could come.

---

Toby glanced at her latest version of their proposed guest list. A new entry.

Ryan Howard and Skank

Okay then.

---

Kelly was in a particularly charitable mood so she crossed out the word “skank” and replaced it with guest. She looked over the latest version of the list. Both their families, friends, two of her
ex-boyfriends, people from his job, people from Dunder Mifflin.

Everyone seemed accounted for. Except one. Well two.

Using her purple pen, she wrote Michael and Jan, followed by like a million question marks.

--

“Do you want to invite him?” Kelly asked him.

“No,” Toby said. “But he’s your boss. And it wouldn’t look good to invite everyone in the office, but him.”

He had a point. “But what if he says something?” she asked. “He’ll like need to be monitored the whole time.”

“I know,” he said. “But I’m sure some people will keep an eye on him.”

Kelly giggled. “Call Ryan and tell him to dress up in a tux. Michael will be speechless.”

He laughed too, but neither of them relaxed completely.

--

Kelly knocked on Michael’s door. When he waved her in, she showed him the wedding invitation (white and pink and gorgeous!).

“This is an invitation to my wedding,” she said. “I am getting married to someone you once referred to as the worst person in the world. We’re both hoping that you and Jan come and have fun and not say anything that is mean to him or about him. Because it’s our day and because the room will be full of people who won’t think it’s funny.”

She knew that she should watch herself - he was still her boss. But this was way too important.

He took the invitation from her, read it. “Thank you,” he said, surprising her. Then, “But what if I have a toast in mind that would be really funny?”

She froze. Finally she said, “I don’t think so.”

It was time to start praying.

--

“So you’re having two ceremonies?” Jim asked.

“Yes,” Toby said. “The first one is going to be a traditional Indian one with Kelly’s family and community. And then the more American one for all our friends.”

“And Michael too,” Jim said. “Look, I want to tell you I’ve been talking to Darryl. We’ll watch him.”

“Thanks,” Toby said. “Hey, Jim…would you like to be my best man?”

Jim nodded. “I’d be honored.”

--

The women from work, plus Elizabeth who was between appointments, threw her a bridal shower.

They had wanted to have it at work, but were all too afraid of Amber.

Even Angela hated Amber, because Amber hated parties and had hinted that the Party Planning Committee was a waste of time.

The nerve!

--

The bachelor party was fairly tame. Poker mostly. No strippers.

Toby didn’t want any. He explained that after learning so much about Elizabeth’s experiences, it just didn’t seem right.

--

The first celebration, the traditional Indian one put on by Kelly’s family, was beautiful and festive and somewhat overwhelming.

He worried about Sasha, who sat with her aunt and looked around nervously at all the unfamiliar people and music and dancing.

But when he finally found her after the party had started, she was wearing a purple sari, a present from Kelly’s parents, and had her hair done just like Kelly’s sisters.

When Toby asked her how she was doing, she said great and giggled with Kelly’s sisters and told him that they were teaching her the dances and the food was “so yummy!”

He didn’t have tears in his eyes. Nope. Not him.

After that day, Kelly’s sisters stopped calling Toby Grandpa.

But they all still agreed that Ryan was way hotter.

---

He stood with Kelly next to him at the church, with Kelly’s sisters in their matching dresses and Sasha in her light pink flower girl dress, Jim up front as well, their friends and family watching.

He looked over at Kelly, gorgeous in her white dress and tiara.

He felt so incredibly happy.

Yet there was a part of him that thought, “How the hell did we end up here?”

She met his gaze briefly, looking both ecstatic and a little stunned, and he had the feeling she was thinking something similar.

Who would have ever predicted this?

“I do,” they each said.

And then he kissed his bride.

--

“They aren’t having a cake?” Kevin asked.

“No,” Pam said. “Behold the teeming tower of cupcakes.”

Kevin whistled. “Awesome.”

“I just don’t know how I feel about these modern weddings,” Angela fretted.

--

“Do you want to hear the one about the guy who got divorced?” Michael asked.

“No!” chorused everyone at the table.

“Honestly, Mike,” Darryl said shaking his head. “I don’t know how you got yourself invited.”

“That’s easy,” Jim said. “Toby was the bigger man.”

Michael grinned. “That’s what she sa--.” Then he realized what he had almost said. “No! No.”

Phew. That was close.

--

“Thank you for watching Michael,” Kelly said as she danced with Darryl.

“Least I can do,” Darryl said. “I owe Toby big.”

“You do?” she asked. “From poker?”

“No,” he said, smiling. “He took you off my hands. Did me a huge favor.”

She stuck her tongue out at him and then shrieked when he dipped her.

--

“It’s a shame that this Amber wasn‘t invited,” Toby said, dancing with Pam. “Is she really as bad as Kelly says?”

“Worse,” Pam said shaking her head. “Michael’s terrified of her.”

He smiled. “Pam,” he then said, his tone more serious. “I wanted to apologize to you. I know when you and Jim first got together, I wasn’t really myself. I--.”

She shook her head. “It’s okay. Don’t worry. And I’m so happy for you two. I never would have thought it, but you two are so good for each other.”

“Thank you,” he said. “And I’m just thrilled for both of you. Have you two picked a date?”

They both looked over at Jim, twirling Sasha around.

“Not yet. We‘re thinking a spring wedding, but we‘re still debating.”

Someone cleared her throat behind them, wanting to cut in.

Jan.

--

“Hi!” Kelly said. “I’m Kelly Kapoor. No. Flenderson. I‘m still debating what I‘m doing with my name - doing the hyphen thing maybe. But anyway I’m the bride obviously. And I just wanted to tell you that it’s so, so nice to meet you. And I just love your dress. It’s so pretty. Well, I have to go mingle, but I’m totally glad you came.”

After she left, Holly, occasional model, turned to Ryan. “I thought you said she was crazy!”

--

“Thank you so much for inviting us,” Jan told him. “I’m guessing it wasn’t an easy decision.”

“No,” he said, his hand lightly on her back. “But he’s still her boss.”

“Michael and I had a nice long talk before coming today. I made him promise to be on his best behavior.” She laughed, a sharp sounding bark. “You have no idea the humiliating thing I told him I’d do for him if he behaved today.”

He did not want to know. “You really don’t need to tell--.”

“Magic camp!” Jan said. “I told him I’d join him for a session if he was good today. Can you imagine? Me? Surrounded by kids? Doing magic?” She frowned, stepping away from him. “God. I need a cigarette.”

--

Kelly closed her eyes as she slow danced with her new husband. Who ever would have thought that that small moment of talking to him on his birthday, followed by impulsively kissing him at the Christmas party would lead to this?

And yet it was perfect.

It was right.

She murmured that she loved him; he kissed the top of her head and told her the same.

Their wedding was beautiful - all pink and white with lots of flowers and the food was great and the tower of blue and white cupcakes (not the color scheme, but chosen for sentimental reasons) was so wonderful.

And Jim had given a great toast - funny and heartfelt at the same time.

And she had a husband! Who was smart and sweet and made of all kinds of awesome.

“Will you Shopping Cart with me?” she asked him hopefully.

He looked down at her and smiled. “I don’t think so. And can you even do the Shopping Cart to The Police?”

“I’ll find a way,” she promised.

Her sisters would Shopping Cart with her. Maybe Elizabeth. Maybe even Pam.

Maybe she’d get a whole group dancing. That would be so much fun.

Like in the movies.

But not now though. The Shopping Cart could wait.

Because right now she was slow dancing with her new husband who loved her and was holding her just right as they danced and looking at her the same moony way she knew she was looking at him.

And that totally beat doing the Shopping Cart any day.

The end


Steph is the author of 37 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Many More Cupcakes also liked 49 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans