- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Are we all calmed somewhat from the premiere? Yes? Do we need to do some deep breathing? For those whose minds have been wiped by last night's event, just a reminder - we're at the Magic Kingdom. :) (And yes, this is my favorite chapter. But what do I know? I'm an idiot.)


As the group crossed from Tomorrowland to Mickey’s Toontown Fair, the second land on their tour around the Magic Kingdom, Judy began her famous backwards walk to address her guests. “This area is really geared toward kids, but it’s also the only place where you can get the coveted picture with Mickey,” she told them. She raised her head. “You all right back there, Michael?” she called.

The camera panned back to find the regional manager perspiring as he attempted to keep up. “This is tough…this chair weighs a ton,” he panted, then looked at his employees pathetically. “I need a push.”

“In more ways than one,” Stanley muttered. It was the only response to the request.

“C’mon, guys, seriously, I’m in need back here,” Michael continued begging.

Dwight, who had been lagging behind, caught up when he caught wind of Michael’s distress, but the moment that he attempted to assist suddenly Andy hurried over to shove him out of the way. “Only winners should get such a privilege,” Andy growled as he hip-checked Dwight out of the way. Dwight glared at him momentarily before acquiescing and moving aside. Triumphantly Andy began pushing Michael, who slumped backward in his seat.

“Oh thank God,” he breathed, not bothering to also thank Andy. He then smiled and perked up a bit. “Pop a wheelie!” he commanded. Andy did as he was told, and both yelled excitedly.

Judy rolled her eyes. “Anyway, for anyone interested, Mickey can be found up ahead in the Judge’s Tent, and there are lots of other characters to meet and greet at the Toowntown Hall of Fame. There’s also a fun little rollercoaster called The Barnstormer. If neither of those sound appealing, just grab some fruit at the Toowntown Farmer’s Market and find a seat in the shade. We’ll meet back up in twenty minutes or so. Deal?”

“Deal,” most answered, minus Andy and Michael, who were still crowing over wheelchair maneuvers, and Dwight, who was back to walking dejectedly with his head down. He didn’t seem to notice Angela casually slowly her pace to match his. When she was at his side she made a point of looking in the opposite direction.

“D,” she murmured, still not looking at him. He raised his head in surprise, but only glanced at her for a moment before staring straight ahead instead.

“Yes?” he asked gently.

“Meet me in Minnie’s house in five minutes. We need to talk.” Her tone didn’t convey what the tone of the discussion might be, and she quickly veered off toward the pink and lavender bungalow before Dwight could reply. He watched her go with his lips pursed.

----

In the Toontown Hall of Fame, Kevin waited patiently in the “Toon Pals” line. When Oscar entered behind him Kevin gave him (what was for Kevin) a look of genuine surprise. Oscar shrugged, embarrassed.

“I’ve always liked Donald Duck,” he confessed, “especially from The Three Caballeros.”

“He is cool,” Kevin agreed. “I had my first crush on Daisy Duck.”

Oscar stared hard at his fellow accountant. “That’s…weird,” he finally finished.

Kevin nodded. “I know,” he said with acceptance.

----

Michael: (outside the Judge’s Tent; looking nervous) Well, this is it. My chance to apologize to Mickey face-to-face about any…nastiness in the past. I brought him a peace offering… (He shifts some before pulling a red trip t-shirt from under him, displaying it proudly for the camera) I got him a red one to match his pants. It’ll make for a great photo op, right? (He nods with finality, signaling he is done speaking, but the camera doesn’t shut off, and neither does Michael leave. After a minute he sighs and looks around.) Andy! (There’s a long pause. Michael frowns.) An-dy!

Andy finally appears, out of breath.

Andy: (bent over, his hands on his thighs) Yeah Boss?

Michael: I’m done. We can go.

Andy: (still catching his breath) Oh…okay. I was gonna go…ride the Barnstormer.

Michael: (shakes his head in disappointment; sarcastically) Fine. I’ll just go alone. (He wheels himself off angrily.)

Andy stares after him, then looks at the camera.

Andy: Was that a bad call on my part?

----

Tucked away in a corner of Minnie’s craft room, Dwight found Angela waiting, staring at Minnie’s home spun fabrics. She turned at his approach and gave the camera a dirty look (causing the cameraman to back off slightly), then turned away again. No stranger to this tactic, Dwight stood behind her and studied a portrait of Mickey on the wall.

“I came as soon as I could,” he said quietly. “What’s going on?”

“You’re down by two challenges,” Angela said, not mincing words. Dwight looked down in shame.

“I know.”

“I’ve learned of a weakness of Andy’s,” she revealed, her eyes fiery.

Dwight immediately perked up. “What is it?”

“Spinning. He can’t tolerate it.”

Dwight’s eyes went wide. “Fascinating.”

Angela now looked down. “I feel terrible telling you this. It seems…devious.”

“It is,” Dwight said in admiration, then grinned in a disturbingly adorable way. “One might even say it’s…sabotage.”

Despite clear effort, Angela couldn’t keep a smile from her face as well. “Perhaps,” was all she said in response, then grew serious again. “I’ve got to go. Do what you will with that information.” She hurried off before Dwight could see the blush rising to her cheeks.

Dwight remained, looking happily lost in thought.

----

The camera caught up with Jim and Pam as they waited in line to meet and greet the Mouse that started it all. The family ahead of them posed for a few shots, with the youngest child striking "extreme" poses. Pam was shaking her head and laughing as she watched; while she looked away Jim took the opportunity to nod subtly in the direction of Mickey, jim significantly and display a "one" with the hand at his side. As Pam turned back to him Michael wheeled his way up behind them. Jim frowned lightly as Michael bumped him in the leg with the chair’s footrests.

"Hey Jimbo, Pam-bone," he greeted them, out of breath.

"Hi," Pam returned. "Where’s Andy?"

"Riding the rollercoaster. I’m on official Dunder Mifflin business. Very important stuff."

"What business would that be?" Jim asked.

"I’m here to make amends with Mickey about the water mark incident," Michael said as if it were obvious.

"You think Mickey knows about that?" Pam asked, trying to remain serious.

Michael gave her a look. "It was in the news; I don’t see how he could have missed it. Anyway, I brought him a gift-" he held up the t-shirt on his lap, "-and I think a photo op will really help show that all gates are mended."

Pam tried to catch her boyfriend’s eye, but Jim just nodded genially. "That’s a great plan, Michael. In fact, why don’t you go ahead of us? That’s much more important than our picture."

"Thanks Jim," Michael said as he wheeled himself between the couple, going over Pam’s toe in the process and making her wince. As they waited for the family ahead of them to finish their time with Mickey, Michael glanced back over his shoulder. "Hey, Jim, do you want to be in the picture too? Scranton’s number one and number two with Disney’s number one head honcho?" he invited. Jim shook his head.

"I think it’ll be much more...impactful if it was just the two of you," he said, "but thanks."

"You’re probably right," Michael agreed. Mickey sent the family away with a friendly wave, and his handler gestured to Michael, who smiled as he pushed himself forward. Pam smiled up at Jim.

"That was nice of you, letting him go first," she observed quietly. Jim shrugged.

"If I hadn’t, you know he would’ve tried to jump in our picture, and I really don’t think he’d enhance that memento much...or at all, really," he said, his hands deep in his pockets. Pam nodded.

"Very true."

Jim raised his eyebrows at the camera as his right hand jiggled in his pocket, seemingly grasping something.

Michael, in the meantime, stepped out of his chair effortlessly and approached Mickey with an outstretched hand. "Mickey, it’s an honor to meet you!"

Mickey put his hands to his face as if embarrassed by such sentiment, then shook Michael’s hand animatedly.

"I am Michael Scott, regional manager of the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company," he introduced himself as his hand was pumped up and down. He glanced at the gloved hand holding his own and, looking uncomfortable, pulled his away gingerly. "Anyway, I’m sure a memo crossed your desk about an atrocious misuse of your person...or, ah, mouse-age in a water mark that slipped past our quality assurance about a year ago."

Mickey took on the pose of Rodin’s The Thinker - albeit while standing - before shrugging broadly. Michael looked surprised. For their parts, Jim and Pam simply jimmed.

"Really? Well, it was major news. Can’t believe you didn’t. But in light of such a stressful time I may or may not have said that I wasn’t a fan of yours." There was a pause. "Okay, I may have said that. I did say that."

Mickey hung his head and Michael rushed to pat him on the back.

"But hey, buddy, that’s why I’m here - to tell you that’s not true! I think you’re great!"

Mickey threw a jubilant fist in the air and Michael chuckled.

"So are you two ready for your picture?" the photographer asked. Michael nodded.

"Yes, absofruitly. I just want to give Mickey this shirt first," he said as he held it out. Mickey put a hand to his heart and moved as if to take it, but Michael pulled it back as his face lit up. "I just had a great idea. Why don’t you wear it, Mickey? Show your love for the Dunder Mifflin team?"

Mickey gestured to his tuxedo jacket and shirtfront that made up his judge’s costume, and his handler stepped forward some. "Why don’t you just hold it up for the picture? Mickey’s already wearing his outfit for the day," she told Michael, smiling. Michael waved her off.

"No biggie, I’ll just give him a hand - I ordered him a 6X so it should fit with no problem," he said breezily, gathering the shirt in his hands and stepping up to Mickey. Mickey tried to duck and weave away but Michael managed to get the shirt over one ear.

"Hey buddy, just…hold still there," he said with a forced chuckle.

"Oh sir, no, please-" the handler began nervously, rushing forward.

"Michael, c’mon," Jim said, without any hint of the casual attitude he usually had toward Michael’s shenanigans. Pam had been looking mildly entertained to that point, but at the strange tone in Jim’s voice had looked at him quickly, her expression one of concern.

"Just...hold on...lemme pull..." Michael grunted, pulling hard on the shirt. Mickey was gently pushing him away by the shoulders, still moving his head to and fro.

"Sir..." The handler looped her hand through the crook in Michael’s elbow but he paid her no mind.

"Michael. Seriously? Stop," Jim said, sounding almost angry. His right hand twitched faster in its pocket as he stepped forward.

"Just one more...tug," Michael promised, but with that one tug he pulled off Mickey’s head, and left a much smaller one in its place, one belonging to a young woman in a sweaty blond ponytail who was blinking at the sudden bright light.

"Oh my God!" Mickey’s new head cried, looking around in terror.

"Oh my God," the handler whispered, rushing to grab the formerly attached head and slamming it back in place, backwards.

"Oh. My. God," Jim managed through gritted teeth.

"Oh (bleep)," Michael breathed.

"I can’t see!" the head inside Mickey’s cried as arms flailed about, the t-shirt still dangling from the big black ear. The handler put a steadying arm around Mickey.

"Mickey needs a quick break, she announced, hurrying Mickey to a side door and glaring at Michael as she helped her charge through. The door slammed behind them, but opened again a moment later as the shirt was thrown back at Michael, hitting him square in the face. All was deathly quiet. Finally Michael turned back to Jim and Pam.

"Wow...can you believe that?"

Both stared back at him wordlessly.

"Can you believe Mickey is played by a girl?" he continued in amazement. Jim’s jaw visibly clenched. After a long stare Michael’s way he bowed his head and took Pam’s hand.

"Come on," he said, his voice eerily quiet. Pam shook her head at Michael before Jim led her away. Michael watched them in confusion, then pivoted and looked at the photographer.

"Did you get any kind of shot there?" he asked rather hopefully, slinging the shirt over his shoulder. "Before his head...you know."

The photographer just shook his head.

----

Back near the entrance to Mickey’s Toontown Fair Judy stood chatting with a few of the Dunder Mifflin employees while they waited for the last few stragglers to return. Jim and Pam joined them a moment later, no longer holding hands and both looking solemn, although Pam’s solemnity was mixed with confusion while Jim’s bore a definite note of anger. Michael arrived shortly thereafter, remarkably quiet. When Andy saw him he immediately took his place behind the chair and began pushing.

“Thanks, Andy,” he almost whispered. His gaze bounced skittishly between Judy and the camera. He looked like a child with a terrible secret.

Judy studied him a long moment before apparently deciding it wasn’t worth pursuing. “Okay, we’re all here…time for Fantasyland!” Judy announced, starting to walk. “It’s probably what most people picture when they think of a Disney park, and Walt loved it. He once said it was a ‘world of imagination, hopes and dreams,’ a ‘timeless land of enchantment,’ and that Fantasyland was ‘dedicated to the young at heart, to those who believe that when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true.’”

Most heard these quotes and smiled; if possible they made Jim and Pam look even less happy.

Judy continued describing what could be found in this “land of enchantment,” and once they reached the entrance the group began to splinter off, Michael – by way of Andy – more quickly than anyone. Pam looked up at Jim, attempting to smile.

“Want to ride ‘it’s a small world’ with me?” she asked. Jim cocked his head.

“Mind if I sit that one out? I think I need some water…maybe some shade or something,” he replied, not quite meeting her eyes.

“Sure,” she said, almost curtly.

“I’ll meet up with you afterwards,” he promised. Pam nodded.

“Okay,” she said, just as clipped in tone. As she started to leave Angela joined her.

“I’ll ride with you, Pam. That’s the attraction that has all the small dolls, correct?”

“Oh, uh, yeah. Thanks Angela,” Pam said, giving Angela the full smile she hadn’t found for Jim. Angela smiled back primly and the two headed off.

With a halfhearted jim at the camera and a noticeable sigh, Jim wandered away too, walking slowly.

----

Kevin: (in front of Dumbo the Flying Elephant) I was really bummed that I couldn’t get on my favorite ride from when I was a kid.

(The scene cuts to a flashback of Kevin attempting mightily to squeeze his bulk into one of the small flying elephants. Several children are standing behind him, laughing. He is half in and struggling when a ride operator walks up, gently rests a hand on his shoulder and shakes her head. Kevin shoots an embarrassed look camera-ward.)

Kevin: I was bummed, but then my gay buddy managed to cheer me up. (He happily holds up a giant ice cream cone covered in sprinkles. The shot pans back to include Oscar at Kevin’s right. He shrugs awkwardly.)

Oscar: It’s the least I could do.

Kevin: (plopping a heavy hand on Oscar’s shoulder) Thanks, dude.

----

In a manipulation no one managed to film, Kelly had somehow convinced Darryl to ride Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel. Kelly was now perched happily on a fine white pony in a red bridle and saddle, while Darryl slouched on one in green riding gear.

“Isn’t this so beautiful, and so romantic?” Kelly sighed. “I mean, the castle’s right there…it couldn’t be more perfect.”

Darryl eyed a screaming three year old on the steed ahead of him whose mother was clearly at the end of her rope and sighed too. “I’m pretty damn sure it could.”

----

Pam and Angela had been silent on their singing doll-led tour through Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America and unspecific tropical islands, but as they neared the white, sparkling finale scene Angela turned to Pam.

“I have a question for you,” she informed the receptionist. Pam looked at her curiously.

“Okay.”

“Did you ever…betray Roy?” Angela questioned, lowering her voice. Pam looked flustered as her eyes darted toward the camera.

“Um…I’m not sure how to answer that,” she finally said. Angela narrowed her eyes and Pam’s gaze went down to her lap, where she began toying with her fingers. “I mean…well, you’re going to judge me when I say this-”

“No I won’t,” Angela blurted. Pam looked at her momentarily before looking at her lap again.

“Well, I just don’t know that there’s an easy way to answer that. I mean, I never intended to hurt…or, ah, betray Roy, but I know that I did some things that probably weren’t…”

“Right?” Angela filled in knowingly. Pam finally met her eyes again.

“Yeah,” she said, sounding surprised. Angela’s face wore a ghost of a smile.

“I do know what you mean,” she revealed, then took her turn staring at her folded hands. “Do you think it was because you didn’t…love him enough?”

There was a long silence between the two (not in the ride - the famous song rang out around them as they passed through the final area, full of flowers bearing the word “goodbye” in a variety of languages). Finally Pam nodded.

“I think so,” she answered quietly.

The boat pulled back up to the dock, but Pam and Angela were stopped from disembarking by Phyllis. “Hi girls,” she greeted them, grinning. “The ride guy said you guys could stay on and we could all ride again together, if you want.”

Angela squirmed some but Pam nodded. “Sure. I wouldn’t mind another ride.” She smiled at Angela. “How about you?”

“Yes. That sounds nice,” she answered haltingly.

Phyllis beamed. “Oh good. I just love this ride, and the song.” She leaned in between Angela and Pam. “It’s a world of laughter, a world of tears, it’s a world of hopes and a world of fears…

----

The camera filmed Judy from a fair distance as she wandered into a quiet, wooded smoking area around the corner from Peter Pan’s Flight. Her eyes widened some when she spotted Jim seated on one of the benches. His elbows were resting on his knees and his head hung low between his shoulders. “Hey,” she said softly, coming to join him on the bench.

Jim raised his head just enough to see her and gave her a nod. “Hey.”

“Where’s Pam?”

“On small world.” It was silent a moment as Judy pulled her cigarettes and lighter from her backpack. Wordlessly she held the pack out to Jim, and he studied it in earnest for a long beat before shaking his head. “Although if there were a day I would start, this would be it,” he told her.

Judy smiled wanly. “That bad, huh?” she asked as she lit her cigarette.

Jim ran a hand over his face and through his hair as he sat back. “I was just sitting here trying to figure out if my life became a bad sitcom after the cameras started filming it, or was it always a bad sitcom that just happened to get caught on tape?”

Judy smiled all-too-knowingly. “And the answer?”

“Jury’s still out.”

There were quiet again as Judy took a long drag. “Well here’s my question, and maybe you’ll be able to answer this one more easily.”

“I doubt it at this point, but shoot.”

“Why don’t you just ask her already?”

Jim’s head whirled to meet Judy’s inquisitive look. “What?” he managed.

“You know what I mean.”

He nodded slowly. “I do,” he said, then narrowed his eyes, “I’m just wondering how you know?”

Judy shrugged and took a quick drag. “I pay close attention to my guests. It’s kind of my job,” she answered on exhale.

Jim gave her an impressed jim. “You’re good.”

“Thanks,” Judy accepted modestly, then leaned forward. “So…?”

Jim sighed. “I should. I know I should just ask her, and not let it matter how, or where, or anything like that. I know she wouldn’t care either.” He paused self-consciously for a moment, and then the words started tumbling out in broken phrases, as if they were all attempting to get free at once. “I just…it took us a long time to get here, to being together. And so much of it just…sucked.” Jim’s face twisted, no doubt in memory of those years of unrequited love. “It was really hard, on both of us. But…we finally made it, you know? And it’s…everything I hoped for.” The corner of his mouth quirked upward some as he stared off into the distance. “And I just…I know it isn’t practical, especially when you have these people around you to throw a wrench into anything, but I want to…I don’t know, honor what we’ve been through with a proposal that shows her how much I love her, which means it’s gotta be…amazing.” His gaze dropped, as did his voice. “Because I love her more than anything. I want to spend my life with her,” he finished softly, then chanced an embarrassed look at Judy. “Does that make sense?”

Judy smiled and held up her left hand. “Yeah, I know how that feels,” she replied, wiggling her ring finger that was encircled by a small band of diamonds. Jim laughed softly.

“How’d he do it?”

“My husband?” Judy asked. Jim nodded. Judy’s smile spread. “Without a ring while we were watching cartoons in bed.”

Jim finally smiled genuinely. “Really?”

“Really,” Judy affirmed, “and I kinda thought that was pretty amazing.”

“Why didn’t I think of that?” Jim lamented lightly. Judy nudged him with her shoulder, still smiling kindly.

“Because you’re a hopeless romantic, obviously. I bet it’s one of the things she loves most about you. And I understand what you’re saying, completely.” Judy laid a gentle hand on his knee. “But she knows you’re planning on asking, and the longer you take, the more she’ll start to worry.”

Jim put his hand through his hair again. “I know. I know she knows I’m planning something. Hell, I told her that. And I’m pretty sure she knows about my first failed effort a few weeks ago, and probably some of them here too,” he admitted.

Judy’s brow furrowed. “How many plans have you had?” Jim leaned a little in order to reach into his back pocket and pull out a folded sheet of legal paper. He handed it to Judy and watched as she skimmed the list, her eyebrows arching. “Wow. You have screwed up a lot of plans, Jim,” she said, giving him a teasing grin. He nodded.

“No kidding.”

She took another long drag. “Would you like me to help you set something up? Despite Dwight’s opinion to the contrary, I do have some pull around here.”

Jim mulled that over. “Maybe. I’d like to try one more of my own plans first.”

“Is that this one?” she asked, pointing at something near the bottom of the paper.

“Yeah. Although with all the luck I’ve had lately, no doubt the place will spontaneously burst into flames or something.”

“I wouldn’t doubt it. But I’ll make a few calls, and if that doesn’t work, let me know. I’ll give you my cell phone number just in case we’re separated.” She tossed her butt in the ashtray and held out a hand. “Deal?”

Jim took it and shook, giving her a smile. “Deal,” he agreed.

“Just out of curiosity, what was your original plan? I mean before you got here?”

“From a few weeks ago?” Jim asked. Judy nodded, and so he gave her a quick recap of Toby’s party. Judy looked thoughtful as he finished, but finally stood and slung her backpack over her shoulder.

“Very interesting,” she said. “Ready?”

“Yep.” Jim stood too, and replaced his list in his pocket as the two left the smoking area.

----

The group reconvened at Snow White’s Scary Adventures, mostly because Michael had yelled out into the crowd ceaselessly as he saw each of them pass.

“What’s going on?” Judy asked warily as she joined Michael’s side.

“Not much, I just thought we could all check out this haunted house together,” he said, grinning.

Judy looked as if she was mentally debating telling Michael the ride was far from a haunted house, but instead shrugged. “All right,” she said simply. Michael nodded and wheeled himself toward the gate marked with the wheelchair access sign that allowed them to bypass the line.

“Come on, guys!” he called.

“Michael, everyone doesn’t need to get on with you-”

“Judy, you said that wheelchair people got to ride with all their guests,” he reminded her gleefully as the ride operator came to open the gate.

“Yes, but most guests don’t travel with-”

“How many with you sir?” the operator asked, smiling.

“Fourteen,” Michael answered promptly. The operator’s smile fell some.

“Oh, uh…”

“Michael, come on,” Judy urged, but Michael ignored her and took the opportunity to ram his chair, hard, into the small opening the confused operator had left open and wheel himself into the crowded boarding area.

“Come on, guys, quick! Move!”

Kevin, Andy, Kelly and Dwight followed his call to action while the rest stood in a cluster outside the gate. Michael raised his eyebrows. “Come on!” he stressed, and slowly Phyllis, Meredith and Creed wedged their way in.

“Sir, we really can’t-”

“Pooh,” Judy said as loudly as she dared, but the word had lost its power. She cursed under her breath and climbed over the gate, prompting a few nasty comments from those waiting in line. “I work here!” she informed them testily, jabbing a finger at her nametag.

“Then get that jerk outta there!” a man called out in a thick Boston accent.

“I’m trying,” Judy replied, forcing a smile that more closely resembled a sneer.

“Yeah, shut up, Marky!” the woman next to the heckler reprimanded him. “You are so stupid!”

“Kevin, Andy, lift me in,” Michael instructed sharply.

“Sir, we can’t have you crowding the boarding area like this,” the operator attempted to dissuade them, but Kevin and Andy already had an ungainly grip on Michael.

“Okay, okay, a little higher, over the edge—OW! Dammit, Kevin! I said higher!” Michael roared.

“I’m trying!” Kevin grunted.

“Get in here and help,” Michael ordered those that had remained outside the gate. Jim just shook his head, jimming as if in pain.

“We will escort you all out of here,” the operator informed them loudly, which elicited a cheer from those in line.

“Michael,” Judy tried again, angrily.

“Michael?” Phyllis sounded scared.

Michael?”

The third repetition came from a new, yet not unfamiliar voice, and for whatever reason it caught Michael’s attention. He looked over as he hung precariously in Kevin and Andy’s arms. His jaw dropped when he spotted its source.

“…Holly?”

Chapter End Notes:
Cliffhangered. Bam.

Just one bonus: Jim's list through this chapter.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans