- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Mmmkay, so, here it is - the final actual chapter. I do so hope you enjoy. We hear Jim say four words - and no, those aren't it.

Remember: written in July. Had no idea what the future held. Also, do check out the bonus features at the end; they're quite fun. :)


Most of the Scranton branch was boarding the Bomokandi Bertha on the Jungle Cruise. As they climbed aboard they received a friendly hello from a strikingly handsome skipper.

As they left the dock, he turned to them and smiled. “Okay, we're out of here! How's everyone doing today?” he asked in a Kentucky drawl. He received a variety of positive answers in response, but he shook his head. “No, I said everyone. This guy here didn't answer,” he said, pointing at Stanley, who gave him an arched eyebrow. “So how's everyone doing today?” he tried again. This time the responses were more enthusiastic, and Stanley managed a nod. Looking pleased with that the guide continued. “Well great! My name is Brian, and I'll be your stripper- uh... skipper today here on the world famous Jungle Cruise,” Brian told them, grinning at the chuckles that sounded across the boat. “I could also be your alligator wrestler and swimming instructor if you're not careful. So please, please be careful.”

Michael laughed heartily, and even Stanley smiled. “So how many of you all are from out of state?” Brian asked his group. Most hands went up.

“Scra-an! Represent!” Michael said, raising the roof. Dwight immediately did the same.

“Ah. And from out of the country?” Brian continued. A young couple at the back of the boat raised their hands tentatively. “Uh huh. How about out of money? How about out of your minds?” All hands now went up, and laughter rang out again. “Well, this trip won't help. You're going to go through four of the world's mightiest rivers today. You're going to see things that you've never seen. You're going to do things that you've never done. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll... kiss ten and a half minutes goodbye.”

Brian shrugged as his guests laughed, Michael hardest of all. Most amazing was Stanley, who had fallen victim to the ride famous for its awful jokes and was now smothering a throaty chuckle behind his hand. As Michael wiped his eyes he noticed this and immediately became subdued.

Brian piloted them first through the Amazon, then took a gentle turn and smiled out at his guests. “We're on the Congo River now in Africa and there's a Pygmy war camp, although I don't know where the Pygmies are. Something could have scared them away,” he narrated, gesturing to his right with an open hand. “Could have been a lion or a tiger or an alligator. Maybe even a...” Brian surveyed his audience, his eyes settling on Michael “Crocodile!” he finished loudly, grabbing Michael’s shoulder.

Michael jumped, and this time Stanley made no effort to hide his laughter. Michael stared at him with disdain “But no,” Brian was saying, “it was this guy right there.” Coiled around a branch was a huge animatronic snake. Dwight immediately looked on edge. “We call him Monty. Monty the Python is over 26 feet long. And he's been known to swallow dark-haired fellows in red Dunder Mifflin t-shirts who sit on the left hand side of my boat next to very pretty blond ladies,” Brian told them. Holly grinned at the shout out. Michael did not. “But don't worry folks,” Brian assured them. “He's friendly. He might even get a crush…on you.” He punctuated the bad joke with a cheesy smile, getting more groans and chuckles. Stanley shook his head as he laughed. Michael eyed him again.

“I can’t believe you’re laughing at that,” he hissed.

“Why’s that?” Stanley asked evenly.

“Laughing at jokes that involve Africans being eaten by giant snakes? A little racist, dontcha think?” Michael asked snidely, then looked to the camera as if for backup.

“No, I don’t,” Stanley dismissed good-naturedly.

“Some proud black man you are,” Michael muttered, crossing his arms and flopping back in his seat.

As he watched Michael pout from across the boat, Oscar grinned.

----

Oscar: (at the exit to the Jungle Cruise; still smiling) Ah…misguided political-correctness at its finest.

----

After the Jungle Cruise, Judy gathered everyone at the gate to Adventureland. First stepping off to the side to take a call, she stood in front of her charges and grinned. “Okay, guys, here’s the plan…the SpectroMagic parade – or the Main Street Electrical Parade, for those of you that haven’t been here in years – starts in about a half hour. We have reserved seating, but I’d like to head over there now. Before we go, though, I want to mark on your maps where our reserved seating is for the fireworks. You’ll have a good hour in between the events, so if you want to wander, shop, ride anything one last time, that’s your chance. Okay?” She held up a Sharpie and started down the line. When she reached Pam, she gave her a questioning look. “Where’s Jim?” she asked as she circled a spot on Pam’s map near the Plaza Restaurant on Main Street.

“He went back to the hotel,” Pam answered shortly, her eyes stealing over to Angela a few feet away. Angela’s gaze, no doubt limited by eyes that – even in the diminishing light – looked red and swollen, stayed fixed on the ground. Judy looked at Pam.

“Really?” she asked. Pam simply nodded. “Is he okay?”

“He fell and twisted his ankle.”

“Oh man,” Judy said. She flashed Pam a consoling grin, which Pam responded to with a tight-lipped grimace. Next up was Dwight. After she circled the designated meeting place for him and Andy, she smiled up at Dwight.

“Do you happen to have a notepad on you?”

“Of course,” Dwight scoffed.

“Could I have a sheet of paper, please?”

“So unprepared,” Dwight muttered, reaching into his back pocket. Judy appeared to hold back a sigh as he ripped off exactly one sheet and gave it to her.

“Perfect. Thank you,” she said as she moved on to Phyllis.

Once she was gone, Dwight turned to Andy. “Our final challenge will take place after the parade,” he told him in a grave tone.

“Fine.” Andy cocked an eyebrow. “Do I get to know what it is now, or is that a privilege only you’ve earned?”

Dwight looked thoughtful, then shook his head. “No. You may know. It’s a simple foot race, from one end of Main Street to the other.”

Andy looked stunned that Dwight had agreed to reveal such important information. “That’s it? A foot race?”

“That’s it,” Dwight confirmed. Andy nodded slowly.

“That seems simple enough. And since we’re tied, that will decide it all?”

Dwight grinned. “That will decide everything.”

----

At eight o’clock, the lights along Main Street went out, and Jiminy Cricket’s voice rang out from strategically hidden speakers overhead.

Welcome to the splendor, the spectacle, the sparkling sensation, where the romance, the comedy and the thrill of Disney fantasies come to electric life. And now, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents, in a million points of musical light, the magic worlds of Disney... in SpectroMagic!”

And with that the parade began, with its illuminated floats and its catchy theme song. Holly smiled up at a float featuring an illuminated garden that alternated between being lit in all white and dazzling technicolor. Next to her Michael was bobbing his head along with the music, and when she noticed she laughed.

“Would you like to dance?” she asked him suddenly. He stopped and stared at her incredulously.

“Right here?” he questioned. Holly shrugged.

“Sure.”

“Uh…” Michael glanced around, then at the camera, finally giving her a small nod. Both stood and Michael took Holly in his arms hesitantly. She smiled as she put one hand in his and the other on his shoulder. In the best imitation of a waltz either could manage, they twirled in the small space they had available.

On this magic night,
A million stars will play beside us,
Cast a spell of light,
Glimmering, shimmering, carouselling -
'Round the world tonight,
A symphony in SpectroMagic…
Pure enchantment lights our way
!”



Growing more confident Michael spun Holly under his hand, both of them laughing.

“Omigod, how cute are they?” Kelly sighed, slapping Pam on the arm and pointing at the dancers. Pam glanced over as Kelly squeezed Darryl’s hand, currently on her knee. “Will you dance with me, baby?” she requested.

“No,” Darryl answered. Kelly frowned and pushed his hand away. Standing quickly, she glared at her boyfriend.

God, Darryl Philbin, can’t you take a hint? Can’t you be, like, the slightest bit romantic? Ever?” She stormed off toward the Disney Clothiers storefront. Darryl just sighed as he watched her go.

Further down the sidewalk, Judy, Meredith and Kevin were also watching Holly and Michael. “Are they together?” Judy asked them, narrowing her eyes.

“No,” Kevin grumbled.

“Huh. They look good together,” Judy observed, then turned back to the parade. Kevin kept watching his boss and human resources representative, the irritation seeping away only to be replaced by sadness. Meredith noticed this change in expression with a frown.

From her spot on the curb, Pam was still watching the dancing duo too, but stopped when she saw that the camera was watching her. Quickly turning back to the parade, she put her hand to her face to shield it from view.

----

After the parade had finished, Dwight and Andy stood in the middle of Main Street, not far from the entrance. Andy was doing some sort of warm-up calisthenics, and Dwight was chugging a bottle of water. After he finished it he smacked his lips and looked to Andy. “Where’s your woman?” he asked.

“Down at the finish, by the Mickey and Walt statue,” Andy answered distractedly, peering down his shirt.

“What are you doing?”

“Checking…something.” Andy looked up again, and as the shirt settled against his chest two unnatural lumps near his nipples kept the cotton from lying smoothly. Dwight eyed the lumps but said nothing further about them. He took a deep breath.

“Ready?”

Andy took the runner’s stance. “Ready.”

“First one to touch the statue wins.”

Dwight mirrored his competitor’s pose. After a long, tense moment both men looked over at Phyllis, who stood a few feet away.

“Oh, sorry,” she said around a mouthful of Mickey ice cream bar. “Go!”

They took off at full speed. After no more than thirty feet, though, they had to slow considerably thanks to excessive foot traffic. Andy cut directly through a couple dealing with their three screaming, exhausted children; Dwight pushed a man in his late fifties into a woman on a cell phone speaking rapid Mandarin Chinese. First Andy was ahead; a moment later Dwight took the lead. It was frantic scrambling all around as the statue came into view, and with it Angela, hands clasped tightly at her chest.

The walkway became more and more congested the closer they got, so more shoving than running was taking place. Finally, the statue was mere feet away.

And Angela, in all her anxiety, couldn’t tell that she was standing directly in their way.

Dwight’s eyes went wide when he took this obstacle in; Andy’s narrowed. While Dwight veered to the left to avoid plowing into his ex-girlfriend, Andy’s course did not waver. Without pretense he pushed his fiancé aside, leaving Dwight to catch her as he pressed a hand to Mickey’s bronze shoe. Dwight, arms full of a flustered blond whom he quickly righted, could only watch him.

“That’s…that’s it! I…I did it!” Andy panted. “I won. I won!” He wiped at his brow and, for whatever reason, did his best impression of Desmond Howard at the Big House, circa 1991.

Dwight stood with lips firmly pressed shut. As Andy continued to pose and celebrate, Dwight shared a long look with Angela. Her eyes shone brightly. As Andy turned back to sweep her up in an embrace their gaze was broken. She patted Andy’s back once, then hung there like a broken doll as he held her. Dwight watched all of this. When Andy put Angela down again, Dwight stuck out his hand.

“Congratulations. You are clearly superior,” he murmured.

“Yeah, coulda told you that four days ago. But thanks, Dwight. You put up a hell of a fight,” Andy accepted as he pumped Dwight’s hand happily.

Dwight nodded, let his eyes linger over the castle, then slipped off into the crowd.

----

Michael had a basket full of souvenirs at Disney & Co., most of which were toy-related or in some shade of pastel, and was heading for a register as he narrated to the camera. “Just a few things for…people back home. My mom…you know. Other people.” He glanced down at the Walt Disney World edition of Mr. Potato Head that topped the pile, then looked back up guiltily.

He and the cameraman both spotted Holly at the same time, standing in line with her mouse ears, picture frame and t-shirt. She waved him over. “I only have a couple things. I’ll be quick,” she said with a smile.

Looking at his purchases even more guiltily, he strolled over to Holly. She peeked into his basket.

“Wow. Cool Mr. Potato Head.”

“Thanks,” Michael said softly. Holly’s eyes traveled to the other items in his basket.

“Who are all the baby clothes for?” she wondered. Michael fidgeted.

“Ja…anyone. I’m going to donate them. Give them to…baby charity,” he said as he eyed the camera again.

Holly did the same, her expression revealing she was doubtful about this explanation, at best.

----

A half hour later most of the Scranton branch had already arrived at their reserved seating area. Most were seated at the wrought iron patio sets that filled the space. Only Pam sat on a far step, staring at her hands as she twisted something between her fingers. As soon as Andy entered he jogged right up to Michael, Angela trailing behind him.

“Hey there, Michael. Just wanted to be first to share the big news,” he said, his chest puffed out impressively.

“What big news is that?” Michael asked, uninterested.

“I won. It’s official. From now on it’s you, then Tuna, then yours truly,” Andy explained, lowering his hand a bit for each name to show the rankings. Michael gave him an aggravated look.

“Why is it like that? What are you talking about?” he questioned. “Did Pam make a new phone tree or something? What a nerd. We’re on vacation, Pamburger! Relax!” he yelled in the general direction of the steps. Pam raised her head, looking bewildered. Andy’s face slowly began to color.

“I knew it,” he breathed. “I knew it!”

“Knew what?”

But Andy shook his head as if water was deeply lodged in his aural canal. “He put me through all that for nothing…God! I’ll kill him!”

Angela had watched this exchange quietly, and placed a gentle hand on Andy’s forearm. He ripped his arm away. “What’s the matter?” she asked, her tone almost mocking.

“I don’t want to talk about it. Or be here, for that matter, around all this…magic,” he spat. “I’m going back to the hotel. Come find me when you get back,” he ordered Angela before exiting the gated patio area. “Dammit!” he yelled as he stormed away.

“Seriously,” Michael said, now to Angela, “what the hell was he talking about?”

Angela sat down in a patio chair. “I have no idea,” she replied curtly, folding her hands on the table.

----

Kelly was sitting on a bench with three huge shopping bags as companions, staring at the castle sadly when Darryl found her. “Hey,” he said simply.

Kelly ducked her head. “I don’t want to talk to you,” she told him.

“Sure you do.” He held out a hand. “Come on. Let’s go watch the fireworks,” he invited.

Kelly gave him her hand but wouldn’t rise. Rolling his eyes but still grinning, he pulled her up gently and into his arms.

“You know how crazy I am ‘bout you, right?” he asked her softly, his forehead on hers. Kelly couldn’t hold back her smile any longer. It burst forward and spread from ear to ear.

“I know,” she said, immediately chipper.

Darryl laughed and kissed her. When he pulled away he pointed to his left. “There you go. You got some romance, right in front of the castle and everything.”

Kelly clapped happily and Darryl chuckled again. First taking two of her bags, he grabbed her free hand and – with a helpless shrug at the camera - allowed her to pull him off toward their reserved patio.

----

Holly sat down next to Michael at a far patio table. “Hi,” she said as she began chipping at the white paint along the arm of the chair. Michael immediately looked nervous.

“Hey.”

“Look,” she began, staring into the distance, then focusing on Michael. “I know we just met a few weeks ago, and I’m not too sure about anything…else, that might be going on with you, but…”

Michael leaned forward some. “What?” he asked.

Holly smiled and leaned closer too, placing her hands on Michael’s knees and pressing a soft kiss to his lips. His eyes went wide and were still that way when she pulled away. “Just wanted you to know I’m here,” she finished softly.

Michael was stunned, but after a long stretch of silence brought himself to nod mechanically. “Okay,” he whispered, smiling at the camera first, then Holly. “Okay.”

Holly grinned too. “Okay.”

Kevin’s loud sigh was what prompted the cameraman to pan to the right, where he found Kevin leaning against the iron gate. Having obviously seen what had just happened, he looked crestfallen. Before he could drown his sorrows in the large cup of chocolate/vanilla swirl he held, though, he was interrupted by a peck on the cheek from Meredith. “What was that for?” he asked as he stared at her.

Meredith shrugged. “You needed it. Don’t worry about her – you can do much better,” she told him. Kevin grinned at her.

“Thanks Mer,” he said gratefully. Looking anxious to offer her something as well, he held out a spoonful of ice cream to her. “Want some?”

----

Kevin: (near a trash can; still smiling as he dropped in his now-empty ice cream cup) Meredith’s a good friend.

----

Pam was still seated on the step by herself, taking no notice as Judy approached her. For a moment Judy simply watched her toy with the scrap of black leather in her hand. Judy eyed the camera, a mixture of pity and anxiety in her eyes. Before the guide could actually speak, though, an announcement came over the loud speakers.

Ladies and gentleman, this message is just to inform you that tonight’s performance of Magic Kingdom’s nighttime spectacular Wishes will begin in ten minutes…

As the same message played again, this time in Spanish, Judy wordlessly held out a small piece of paper to the receptionist. Pam warily eyed it.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“Read it,” Judy instructed her kindly. Pam unfolded the note and quickly scanned it. Her eyes, full of confusion, found Judy’s again as she shook her head slowly.

“I don’t…”

“Pam, just do what it says, okay?”

Pam stood and shoved the note in her pocket, appearing dazed. “Where do I go?”

“Follow Main Street to the exit. Bear right. The monorail will take you right there.” Pam bit her lips together and Judy reached out to squeeze her hand, smiling encouragingly. Pam found a timid smile of her own and without another word left. Judy kept her smile as she watched Pam go, but when she saw the cameraman starting to head after her she stepped in front of him. “No,” Judy said firmly. “Please. Just give them a break, okay?”

----

Andy: (outside the park gates; still fuming) I cannot believe that I let Dwight get one over on me like that. For four days I’ve been doing all these stupid challenges, and for what? Nothing!

(He throws his arms in the air and whatever he exclaims is bleeped out. As he does this, a flash of green topped by bouncy curls passes behind him. The camera swings to follow it as Andy continues ranting.) I mean, I’m a smart guy, and the fact that I got shown up by him – some nerdy loser? – is ridiculous…

(The camera is still filming who it is now clear is Pam, running for the monorail station. The shot zooms in on the sign above the ramp up which she is heading, reading To Contemporary Resort. Suddenly the view shakes as if the camera was struck by something, and it swings back to Andy, who is glaring into the lens.) C’mon, man, keep the camera on me. What are you doing? (Andy sighs and drops his eyes to the pavement; sullenly) Least I won. Maybe I can get Ang to put out tonight. Dwight can sleep in the pool for all I care.

----

Hiding around a quiet corner of the castle, the camera caught Dwight seated Indian-style on the ground, playing a haunting melody on his recorder. Unnoticed, Angela rounded the far corner and stopped upon spotting Dwight. She folded her arms and listened.

Two young men passed, laughing, but looked down at Dwight as he played his song. “Nice…The Inner Light, right?” one asked, adjusting his glasses. Dwight just nodded and they walked away.

Finally Angela approached. “That was lovely,” she said softly.

Dwight’s head jerked upward and the music stopped short. His eyes went wide upon seeing the tiny blond, but soon fell back to the recorder he held. “Thank you,” he accepted, turning the plastic instrument over in his hands. “It felt appropriate.”

“Why?”

Dwight sighed. “I’m as lost as Picard on Kataan.” Angela didn’t appear to know what this meant exactly, but still took a dainty seat beside him on the curb. Dwight turned away from her. “You should be with Andy. He won.”

“Yes he did,” Angela agreed, not one to question the rules, “but Andy left after he found out Michael knew nothing about the challenge.” Despite his misery Dwight smiled just a little, no doubt wishing he could have witnessed that. Angela reached over and tentatively took Dwight’s hand. He looked at her as she continued. “And D, he won by putting me at risk. You didn’t do that. I’m his fiancé and he just…pushed me aside. For power.” Her eyes searched his. “You know I admire ambition, but that wasn’t right.”

Dwight shook his head. “No. It wasn’t.”

Angela looked down for a moment, then held her head high. “And since the competition was really all about me, shouldn’t I be allowed to make a final ruling?”

Dwight’s small eyes shone with hope. “Yes.”

“For now, I will stay with Andy.” Dwight’s expression fell some at that proclamation, but Angela squeezed his hand. “But in name only. You have won my heart, Dwight…” She dropped her eyes again. “And no matter how immoral it may be, I can’t be without you.”

Dwight smiled, putting a hand to her cheek. “Oh Monkey,” he sighed, then leaned in to press his lips to hers.

----

A Disney security guard had a firm hand on Creed’s shoulder as he led him out of the old mine on Tom Sawyer Island. “I’m telling you, man, I’m just trying the place out for the night. I got cold, hard cash to exchange for it. Greenbacks, brother!” Creed was arguing.

“Just keep moving, pal,” the guard replied.

----

Across the Seven Seas Lagoon, Cinderella Castle was plainly visible, lit in blues and purples. Suddenly, one bright bolt went arcing over its intricate spires, signaling the beginning of the fireworks. The accompanying music drifted across the water; a child’s voice was easily heard, singing clearly and sweetly.

Star light, star bright
First star I see tonight
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have the wish I wish tonight
So make a wish, and do as dreamers do –
Then all our wishes will come true…


The camera turned back to capture the hotel positioned strategically on the water. From the exterior, Disney’s Contemporary Resort was far from spectacular. In fact, it took little imagination to see it as a large, wedge-shaped, nondescript office building of some sort. The shot panned over the rooms whose balconies looked out on such an amazing view. A family or two was visible, and here and there was a couple, but midway through the pan the camera stopped short, and zoomed in on a particular balcony on the third floor that appeared dark and empty upon first viewing.

No lights were on in the accompanying room, but with the scene so enlarged it was now clear, with the help of the faint illumination from the fireworks, that a familiar lanky paper salesman stood there alone. He looked out at the show, lips pursed as he drummed his hands against the railing to a beat that couldn’t be heard and certainly didn’t match that of the spectacle’s music. It was rapid, erratic. Every few seconds he looked over his shoulder, taking a step toward the open patio door, then returning to his previous spot against the railing on the far right side of the balcony.

Just then, a golden slice of light cut through the darkened room behind him. He noticed immediately and stepped back into the corner. “Jim?” Pam’s voice called out tentatively. Her shadow preceded her out onto the balcony. When she reached the doorframe she placed a hand on either side, pausing for a moment to watch the fireworks. A smile tugged at the corner of her lips, and she wrapped her arms around her middle as she took a step out.

Jim took a step out of the darkness and Pam started. “Hey,” she said, resting a hand over her heart. “You scared me.” She gestured around her vaguely. “What’s—”

But Jim placed a finger against her lips. “Hold on a minute,” he said softly, his raspy voice picked up by her microphone. He reached around to gently pull her microphone pack from the back of her shorts, then handed it to her as he carefully unclipped her microphone and fed the wire down the front of her green Dunder Mifflin t-shirt. She watched him wordlessly, an unreadable expression on her face. Once that was done, he wrapped the microphone’s cord around the pack and quickly limped into the room. Pam reached up to the charm dangling from her necklace, watching not the fireworks but Jim as the music continued behind her, with Jiminy Cricket once again narrating.

Pretty, huh? I’ll bet a lot of you folks don’t believe that - about a wish coming true - do ya? Well I didn’t either…of course, I’m just a cricket…

He emerged a moment later, then took her hands. She gazed up at him steadily as he began talking. At first his expression was serious, but a flicker of a smile passed over his face as he continued. He pulled something from his pocket as he spoke, and when he handed it to her it was clear it was the list he had shown Judy earlier in the day. Pam opened it and glanced at it, then stared up at Jim again. He broke her gaze to stare down at his shoes for a second. When he did this she smiled too, cocking her head slightly. He nodded out toward the fireworks as he began talking again, and she raised her head to look that way briefly, but almost immediately her eyes returned to meet his.

His mouth stopped moving after a minute, and he let go of one of her hands first to reach up and tenderly brush her hair from her face, then reach into his pocket again. The visible rise and fall of his chest signaled he had taken a deep breath, and Pam bit her lower lip as her chest did the same. Slowly he lowered himself to one knee. The bright blossoms of color exploding overhead highlighted the lone crystalline tear that escaped to Pam’s cheek. The list fell from her hand and fluttered to the ground as she brought her hand to rest against her lips. Jim looked down again – just for an instant – then looked up at Pam.

His lips’ movement was barely perceptible, but the squeeze he gave Pam’s hand and the nervous smile that lit on his face as he watched her intently gave proof that he had, in fact, said something.

Neither of them moved for what seemed to be an eternity, then Pam moved her hand from her mouth and appeared to say something. Her eyebrow quirked as she did so, and a teasing smile spread from cheek to cheek. Jim laughed, his nervous smile turning to a genuine one of amusement, and he nodded slowly.

Pam nodded too, emphatically, and pulled on his hand to encourage him to his feet.

Jim rose, quickly swiping a hand across his eyes and fumbling with the small velvet box he’d been clutching in his free hand, but Pam took the whole box and threw her arms around him. They were both smiling as their lips met, her hands stealing into his hair and his pressed against the small of her back. They stayed locked together as their faces were washed with the colors above. When they finally parted, Jim’s hands went to either side of her face, his thumbs grazing over her cheeks. His lips moved softly and they both smiled. She pressed her lips to his again. As they shared another long kiss his arms went around her middle and he lifted her off her feet and back into the room.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans