- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Jim and Pam, a crazy guy and the Laundromat.  The dryer's not the only think that can fluff here.  Spoilers for Baby Shower.
Author's Chapter Notes:

Colette thinks Laundy!fic is it's own genre.  I've now written two stories about it so maybe it's true. ;)  I know this. If there's one thing I'm able to capture - it's the mundane.

There's nothing terribly clever or groundbreaking here.  Just a fluffy story, behind the (sorta) fluffy story.

I hope you enjoy.

Much love to Morning Angel for her feedback and for keeping me company when I cancelled my dinner plans. :)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

He measured the detergent, his eyes never leaving hers.  "Watch and learn, Beesly."

"So you're what?  A laundry expert?"

"Yes."  He dumped the contents of the cup in the washer and twisted the dial with a flourish.

"Did you go to school for that?"

Jim's expression discounted her question as nonsense.  "C'mon.  I'm a prodigy."

"Wow.  Your parents must be so proud."  Pam turned away, trying to hide her smirk.

"I'm sensing a bit of disrespect here."

"I don't know."  Pam sorted through the remains of her laundry basket, running a finger over a bit of lace mingling amongst her jeans and tee shirts.  "I think this is all a ploy.  I think you just wanted to go through my girly things..."

He cast his eyes down towards the basket "Yeah right.  Might I remind you that I've seen your girly things before."

She smiled and blushed slightly as he moved his gaze back to her.  "True."

"I mean...and I'm not trying to brag...but I think I'm kind of an expert on them too by now."

"You might be."

"I know it's not right, but sometimes I play favorites..."  He bit his lip, looked sideways towards the basket.  "That pink thing...for instance..."

She reached over and tried to shove the item in question down to the bottom of the basket.  "Yes. I know." 

Jim shooed her hand away, twirling the garment around his finger idly.  "There's something about it..."

She looked up at him secretly delighted even as she grabbed it back and shook her head at him.  "Maybe you'll see it again later."

"Maybe?"

He looked so earnest she laughed aloud.  "Probably."

Jim smiled and took her hand, leading her to sit on one of the chairs lining the wall of the laundromat.  "Probably is good."

xoxoxo

Pam usually hated the laudromat.  It was the waiting that got to her for the most part.  Being here with Jim today made it a much more pleasant experience.  The hum of the machines was almost peaceful.    They had just finished putting the last load in the dryer.  As they sat back down again, Pam picked up her sketch pad and nudged Jim gently with her elbow. 

"Seriously.  What do you think of this one?"

Jim regarded the drawing carefully.  A smile tugged at his lips.   "I think it's great."

Pam blew a strand of hair out of her eyes, exasperated.  "You say that about all of them."

"Well you just have to stop being so awesome."   He reached into her bag and pulled out a pen.   He carefully flipped to a clean page in her sketchbook.  "Go ahead.  I dare you to draw something horrible."

Pam took a deep breath.  "I can't just...draw something.  I need inspiration."

"Inspiration for something horrible?"

"Yeah."

Jim tapped his fingers against his lips.  "Besides dinner at Michael and Jan's or Creed's bottom desk drawer?"

"We said we'd never talk about that again and eww."

"I know."  He smiled and then patted her knee.  "Seriously.  Send those first two to Pratt."

"You mean the landscape and the still life?  Are you sure?  You really think so?"

"Yeah.  I really do."  Jim sighed.  "Of course, if you do send them you'll get in, become this famous artist and do something bizarre like cut your ear off and then what am I going to do with you?"

"Too bad.  One ear or two, you're stuck with me."

He leaned close and kissed the spot just below her left ear.  "Not complaining."

Pam shifted her head and moved so she could look him in the eye.  Her own fluttered closed as she tilted her face towards his for another kiss.

Suddenly there was a loud banging coming from one of the dryers, like someone threw in a handful of change and a bowling ball. 

"Whoa."  Jim pulled away and regarded the dryer closely. 

Pam placed her sketchpad down and joined him.  "That doesn't sound right."

Jim glanced around the room, his eyes searching.  "Whose is it do you think?"

"I have no idea.  But...here..."   Pam pulled the door to the dryer open and waited for it to stop.   She then closed it with a resounding snap.  "Problem solved."

"Wow...you're...a  well, just a genius."

"Well...duh."  She rolled her eyes at him.

He chuckled and ran a hand over her cheek.  "A genius who looks thirsty.  Want a Coke or something?  I'll run over to the deli."

"That would be great."

"Okay then.  Be right back."

Pam sighed a bit as she watched him go before settling back down with her sketch pad.   She was busy outlining the row of washers, something about them seemed almost military to her.  Like little soldiers lining up to report for duty.

She was startled by a booming voice to her right.  "ALRIGHT.  WHO DID THIS?"

Her head popped up to find a man staring angrily at her.   "You have some nerve."

"I'm sorry?"  She put down her book and stood to face him.

"Did you take the clothes out of here?"

"No.  I just turned off the other dryer..."

"Do you not speak English?  I asked you a question."

Pam's back stiffened.  "I understood what you said and I answered you.  I didn't touch your things."

"How'd you like me to touch your stuff?"

"I wouldn't."  Pam crossed her arms over her chest.  "Maybe you should pay attention to the timer and people won't touch yours."

"You're a smart ass aren't you?"  The man was now so enraged he was shaking.  At first Pam thought he was just another jerk.  People were constantly battling over machines.  She'd been here once where the same load of laundry sat for over an hour.  

She made another attempt to make the guy see reason.  "Look.  I told you - I d-didn't..."

The man took another step towards her, backing her up against the row of machines behind her, waving a finger in her face.  "Likely story.  You need to learn how this place works."

Pam was just about to answer again when Jim's voice called out from behind her.  "Is there a problem here?"

"You with her?" 

Jim placed the sodas down on the washer next to him and turned to face the guy threatening Pam.   He wasn't sure what was going on but to him it didn't look at all good.

"Yes."

"My condolences."  The man sneered in Pam's direction.

Jim stood, back straight, hands on his hips, towering over him.  Though the expression on Jim's face was quite menacing it didn't seem to intimidate the other man in the least.  

"Let's try this again.  Is there a problem?"

"This one, over there."  The man waved a hand in Pam's direction.  "Thinks she owns the place."

"Hold on a second."  Jim reached towards Pam and pushed her slightly so she was now standing behind him  "What exactly are you upset about?"

"I walk away and she thinks it's alright that she touches my things.  People have no respect."   His voice raised an octave, causing the rest of the patrons of the laudromat to look over at them. He glanced back in Pam's direction again and pointed at her.  "Especially this one here."

"Okay.  I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding..."

"I misunderstand nothing.  Your little girlfriend is the one with the problem."

Jim took a deep breath.  The man before him was extremely agitated but he made one more attempt to reason with him.  "Okay.  Again.  It sounds to me like you're upset that someone took your clothes out of the dryer without your permission."

"Exactly."  He turned back towards Pam.  "Some freaking nerve..."  

Pam tugged at Jim's sleeve as she whispered.  "Jim - I didn't..."

"You need to learn the rules, missy."  The man grabbed his clothes, holding them against his chest as he began to walk away.  He pushed past, and as he was built like a linebacker the shove he gave Jim almost caused him lose to his balance.   Jim steadied himself by placing a hand on the washer.

"Hey.  Take it easy."  Jim called out after him.   He turned to Pam.   "Are you kidding?  I leave for ten minutes..."

"I know." 

"What the hell was that?"

"I have no idea."  Pam shrugged.  The dryer next to her buzzed.  She opened it and started to fold the last of her clothes.

"Does this happen a lot here?"

"No...not...sometimes.  But it's never happened to me before."

"Well that doesn't mean it won't happen again.  This place is an insane asylum."

"Not everyone here is crazy.  I've been here before.  It was just that one guy..."

"Today it's one crazy guy.  Who knows what'll happen next week.  It's not safe here.  I think it's the way the dryers go round and round.  Maybe it puts people in a homicidal trance."

"Jim.  He was not homicidal.  People get touchy about their clothes here.  All and all I think he was pretty harmless."

"Harmless?  Tell me something.  Did he scare you at all?"

She opened her mouth to protest then thought the better of it.  He could tell she was lying anyway.

"Not bad.  Just a little bit."

"Not so harmless then.  Didn't you hear him?  He was yelling so loud I heard him outside."  Jim reached into the dryer and began to shove the remaining clothes in Pam's laundry basket.  "That's it.  We're out of here.  And by the way -  I don't want you to do laundry without me anymore."

Pam laughed at how serious he sounded.  "Are you kidding?"

"Totally not kidding." He looked at her and then his eyes widened, as if he'd just gotten a brilliant idea.  "You know what?  Better yet - let's go."

"Go where?"

"To buy you your own washer and dryer."

"JIM."  Pam shoved her sketchpad and the sodas Jim had bought in her bag.  "That's very sweet but I think you're overreacting a little."

"I'm serious.  I can't be everywhere.  Who's going to defend you next time?"

"Well.  I can defend myself you know."  Pam shook back her hair and looked up at him defiantly.

At that moment it occurred to Jim he was acting very much like the one person he prided himself on being the exact opposite of.  As he gazed at Pam he got the message.  He got it - but it didn't change the way he felt. 

"I know that."  He blew out a breath.  "Look.  I know it sounds crazy, but it'll make me feel better knowing you're safe at home rather than out here by yourself."

She regarded him closely and rose on her tiptoes, pressing her lips to his.  "C'mon."  She said softly as she rocked back on her heels.  "Let's go."

"So glad you're finally seeing reason." 

"I didn't agree yet.  But - we'll talk about it.  Right now let's go get something to eat."

Jim shifted the basket onto his hip as he started towards the door.   "Okay let me just say this.  If this is what goes on here, people taking each others clothes out of the machines and such, I really don't like the idea of some random guy getting his hands on..."

Pam followed behind and bit back a laugh.  "My girly things?"

Jim glanced at the laundry basket and then back to her.  "Exactly."  He smiled and held the door open as Pam sauntered past.   



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked Machine Wash Warm, Tumble Dry Low also liked 2688 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans