- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Title from Violet Hill - Coldplay. Not M yet, just to be safe though.
Author's Chapter Notes:
These are short, peeps. Chapter title from Mr. Brightside - The Killers, my newest musical obsession.
She kissed him.

She kisses him still, over and over, the same scenes repeated thousands of times in his memory.

She sits, slumps dangerously, entirely past drunk, still smiling. Doesn't think twice about what she has just done.

She didn't know what she was doing, how could she? If she knew how she hurt him so, she would set him straight, apologize, remind him that they'd always be friends.

It was a drunk, celebratory kiss. That was it.

Drunk. Celebratory. Friendly. How you would kiss a brother.

He's never kissed his brothers like that.

He knows he's terrible at hiding his emotions, and always has been. But in the seconds after the kiss, his mouth still warm from hers, he doesn't know what his face reveals.

Elation, hope, amazement. Longing, disappointment, heartache. All would be accurate.

And yet, later, when she tries too hard to be sober, and he can see her dissolve into the way-too-drunk woman she is, and when she finally laughs and falls, and Dwight rushes over, and she giggles and giggles, all he feels is love. That's it, he realizes. That was the expression he wore.

"Oh, my God, you are so drunk," he says, laughing, happy, deep down knowing that it won't be him driving her home, won't be the person that cares for her and nurses her hangover the next morning. Won't be the one she snuggles with that night, as she falls unconscious.

And when he watches her yell somewhat hysterically at the camera, even when there's something she wants to say--throws a nervous glance at the camera, stops, backtracks--especially then, the despair is welling inside of him. He shuts Angela's car door, thanks her.

He turns away from the camera, the nosy camera, seeing everyone's lives from the outside.

He wonders if there's any footage he should see, if that would make anything clearer, but he decides he'd rather not live his life a second time.

Once was more than enough.

She kissed me, he thinks, and hopes that he can live until the next time.

Because, if he has any say, there will be a next time.
Chapter End Notes:
Office Olympics up next. Sexual Harassment--as much as I love it--just isn't Jammy enough for my current purposes.
Review, please? I'm still new to this.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans