- Text Size +

Pam heard Jim clear his throat, and put her hand to her ear, covering the Bluetooth as if she needed to protect the sound of his voice. "Hey are you -

 

"Yeah.  Hold on," he said suddenly. "I'm walking out."

 

"Oh...ok..." Pam said, pacing in the little space outside of her office.

 

Jim shut the door behind him and started towards the staircase.

 

She heard the quick pound of his footsteps and knew he was headed downstairs.  "Wow...ok, so that was intense right?..." she started.

 

Jim licked his lips and leaned against the wall at the landing.  He sighed. "Alex is very concerned with your best interests."

 

Pam giggled awkwardly. "Yeah..."

 

"Alright, so here's the thing...he's probably right, right?"

 

"No......Yeah, I don't think so."

 

"Pam, I mean obviously 3 months doesn't give you the kind of experience you might..." the camera zoomed in and he turned so that his back was facing it.  He put his hand over his ear, lowered his voice. "The kinds of experiences you might want in order to pursue this thing further. If that's what -

 

"That's not what I want."

 

"Wait...Don't just say that though.  You love New York."

 

"No...I mean I do...but...I mean I don't love it more than I love you."

 

Jim paused for a long moment.  "It doesn't have to be a question of either or...I mean..." he sighed again and started to walk. Unable to stand in one place just then. Maybe he'd wear a hole in the carpet and fall straight into New York.  "Ok, so there's something I didn't mention..." He faced the cameras and shook his head...they were still there.

 

Were they getting a little more pushy lately or had he just stopped noticing them until moments like this? 

 

He could just walk out to his car...but he needed to get this out.

 

Pam stopped where she was. Thrown off by the sudden switch in his tone. "Yeah?"

 

"A couple of weeks ago I ran into Roy...it was when I had drinks with Daryl and those guys..."

 

"Oh...ok."

 

"Yeah...so I ran into him and I...He just reminded me of how you and me...we're great."

 

"Ok," Pam said grinning.  "Roy said that? Are you sure? How much were you drinking?"

 

"No, not exactly that...I just...running into him just put some things into perspective and I just...I feel like this is one of those moments.  This is one of those...why we're so great...because...Pam, I don't ever want to be the thing that keeps you standing still. Do you understand what I mean?"

 

She was quiet for a long time.  Pam stood with her back to the wall, glanced up at the cameras once and then gazed back down at her shoes.

 

"Pam?"

 

"Yeah...you want me to take a chance on something sometime, right?" The words were whispered.

 

Jim glanced up at the camera in confusion. "What?"

 

"Nothing....I....Jim you're in Scranton -

 

"Pam -

 

"No. Let me finish ok?"

 

Jim folded his arms across his chest. "Ok..."

 

"You're in Scranton...and Dwight's shirts are in Scranton...and...Kelly's insanity is in Scranton, and Ryan...Ryan is fucking up the height on my chair I just know it," she added through grit teeth.

 

"Whoa."

 

Pam sighed. "Jim, my point is that it's not...this isn't just about you."

 

"Ok..."

 

"Not...not like that...I want to be with you...and I also...there's no place like home, you know? And as much as I do want to see where this art thing takes me...honestly, I don't want it to take me anywhere that's just...too far."

 

Jim looked down at his shoes and whispered. "I don't want you to go too far either."

 

"The only thing that's gotten me through the last 3 months has been knowing that it's three months."

 

"Yeah," Jim said nodding slightly.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"So..." Pam said smiling once again. "That's just...it....and maybe you should come down here and take me to that Chuck Close retrospective tonight...I mean unless you want to lose me forever to Alex."

 

Jim smiled. "I'll be there Beesly...and if "art guy" is there I'm gonna kick his ass."

 

Pam rolled her eyes. "He's so not into me by the way...he's like that with everyone."

 

"Yeah...like you'd know."

 

"Oh. Funny...jerk."

 

"Love you."

 

"Love you too."

 

"...Ok hey, let's try and get Dwight to believe I'm communicating with an alien planet for the rest of the afternoon."

 

"Ok awesome."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


LoveFool is the author of 48 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked Bluetooth Blues also liked 2388 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans