- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

In response to the Five Elements Challenge. Got inspired on the way home from a friend's house tonight. This was quickly written and no beta was used, so feel free to let me know if something's wrong. Thanks!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

“Hello?”

“Oh, hi!”

“Nope, no change since yesterday.”

“Exhausted. But the nesting is still in high gear. This place has never looked so good!”

“Nooo, I’m not overdoing it.”

“Yes, I promise.”

“Really, I’m feeling great. Much better these days. My only real issue is my insatiable cravings for salsa and other tomato-based products. They’re totally doing a number on my stomach. I keep waking up at three in the morning with the worst heartburn.”

“Really? That works? I’ll have to try that. Do you have a cure for baby feet and hands under my ribs?”

“Heh. I thought I’d ask. Thought maybe you were holding back some Mommy secret from me.”

“Yeah, I know. On the bright side, there’s only a few weeks left of having an alien lifeform in my body.”

“Sooner than that! Hopefully before Thanksgiving.”

“Nah, I don’t think so. Through the wonders of the Internet, I’ve pretty much finished up all of my Christmas shopping.”

“Yep, everything’s wrapped and ready for the big holiday. The only thing I’m waiting for are Dad’s leather gloves. They should be here by Tuesday, though.”

“No, no plans this morning. My friend Marisa and I are heading to Color Me Mine after lunch.”

“Oh, it’s this place where you can paint your own pottery. It’s totally the thing to do out here when you’re pregnant. I figure I’ll make a pair of zebras for the nursery.”

“Yeah, I’m a bit Noah-obsessed right now."

"Just painted the last bird on the wall. Check your e-mail later for some pictures.”

“I’m really, really happy with it. After painting other people’s rooms for the last two years, it’s nice to be able to sit back and enjoy my own creation.”

“Yeah, he’s flying back tomorrow afternoon.”

“I miss him a ton. This is the first time we’ve really been apart from each other, you know? I’m usually at his side when he travels. I’m actually kind of surprised he made his way back to Scranton in one piece, with the way he’s been lately.”

“Oh, just totally stressed about the book and everything else. Not that I blame him.”

“Yeah, it really sucks that I couldn’t go.”

“Only about 13 times a day. He felt so guilty for going. But, what could we do? I can’t fly and I didn’t want him to miss his 10-year reunion.”

“Eh, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s as fun as he thought it would be. He just said everyone either got heavier or more annoying. I’m sure he’ll bring home plenty of good material for his column. You know him, he’s the king of making the proverbial lemonade.”

“Ahh, now we get to the real reason why you called…”

“I’m just kidding. Yes. The baptism plans are pretty much set. I booked the picnic facilities yesterday. They’re only a few hundred yards from the waterfalls. So, as long as the weather cooperates, it’ll be beautiful. I can’t wait for you to see the falls; they’re…they’re inspirational.”

“Shut it. I blame the hormones.”

“Yeah, okay. I’d better go too.”

“Did you hear that little J.J.? Grammy says, ‘Hi.’”

“He kicked me! He already knows your voice. Maybe it’s the 13 times a day you call.”

“Yes, you do. I swear, between you and my husband, I can’t get more than an hour’s sleep without the phone ringing. Haven’t you guys heard that a pregnant woman needs her sleep?!?”

“Aw, you know I love you and your calls.”

“Alright, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Yep, I’ll tell Jim you said, ‘Hi,’ as well. Hopefully, he doesn’t kick me too.”

“Yeah, I’d like to see him try, too. Heh.”

“Okay, bye, Mom. I love you! Talk to you, in what, an hour?”

“Oh, but I’m your smartass. You have only yourself to blame.”

"Yeah, yeah, yeah.”

“I love you, too.”

“Bye.”



TV_Buffy is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked A Quick Conversation also liked 1089 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans