- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Title is from a Gary Allen song of the same title.
The wailing sound of the alarm clock startled Jim out of sleep. Blearily he looked at the clock and pushed himself out of bed. Running a hand through his already messy hair he made his way to the bathroom, yawning.

After a quick shower, he was dressed and stood over the sink brushing his teeth.

“Hey,” Mark muttered, walking into their shared bathroom and grabbing his toothbrush.

“Hey,” Jim said after spitting out a mouthful of toothpaste. “What’s up?”

“Dude, I just woke up,” Mark rolled his eyes and moved to take Jim’s place in front of the sink. Jim chuckled and moved to the scale in the corner of the small room.

“Weight good?” Mark asked through a mouthful of toothpaste.

“Yeah,” Jim shrugged and grabbed the pillbox from the medicine cabinet. He quickly swallowed all nine pills, wincing at the chalky taste. “I’ve got a doctor’s appointment today so I may be late getting home.”

“Okay no problem. I’ll order Chinese,” Mark nodded to himself and walked out of the bathroom.

“Get me something with tofu, vegetables and steamed rice,” Jim called out after him and with one quick look in the mirror walked out as well. He grabbed his messenger bag, gave a quick wave to his roommate, and walked out the door.

His phone rang as he got into his car and after fumbling with his bag he answered it.

“Hey Jim, it’s Dr. Pressman’s office,” A perky voice said on the other end. “We just wanted to remind you that you have an appointment today.”

“Yup, I remember, Amy. Thanks,” Jim started his car and pulled out of the driveway.

“No problem Jim, see you at four,” She said and a click told him that she had hung up. Jim smiled and drove the rest of the way to work.

~*~

“Tuna again?” Kevin raised his eyebrows at Jim’s lunch. Jim frowned at his tuna sandwich, carrot sticks, and apple before looking up.

“Yeah? What’s wrong with it?” Jim asked and Kevin scoffed, returning to his lunch of microwave pizza rolls that left a small puddle of orange grease behind on the plate.

“Nothing, it’s just…” Kevin giggled. “Girl food.”

“Girl food?” Jim took a bite out of a carrot stick.

“Yeah. Girls eat bite-sized veggies and fruit and guys eat meat and bread. It’s so obvious,” Kevin said intensely.

“Food doesn’t have a gender preference Kevin,” Jim replied and quickly stuffed the rest of the sandwich into his mouth and stood after swallowing. “I’ve got to go talk to Michael.”

Jim had quickly explained that he needed to go to a doctor’s appointment and after avoiding awkward comments, fled the office.

~*~

“Hey Jim,” The young receptionist smiled as he approached the desk. “You’re late for your appointment.”

“Sorry,” he grinned back and Jen rolled her eyes playfully. “Work is insane.”

“Sure,” She chuckled. “Dr. Pressman will be seeing you shortly. Take a seat if you want.” Jim thanked her and grabbed a seat in the overly soft couch.

The only other people in the waiting room were an older couple. The wife was holding onto her husband’s hand tightly.

“Look how young he is,” She whispered a little too loudly and Jim felt his ears burn as he looked through the issues of Healthy Living. “Such a shame.”

“Not so loud Lillian, I think he can hear you,” Her husband scolded and Jim pretended he did not see her horrified look.

“Jim Halpert,” A nurse called and smiled at Jim as he hurried out of the uncomfortable situation. She took his blood pressure and weight and then led him into a room.

“Jim!” The doctor walked into the room a few moments later. “How are you?”

“Just fine Chris,” Jim shook his hand

“How have you been?” Chris asked, settling down into the small chair in front of the patient’s bed. “Have you been looking for your weight and making good food choices?”

“Yes,” Jim smiled, rolling his eyes. “I’ve been doing this for a while. I’m pretty sure I know what to do.”

“I’m sure you do,” Chris grinned. “Have you experienced anything abnormal?”

Jim paused for a moment before sighing. “I haven’t been sleeping well since I’ve been so out of breath as soon as I lay down.”

“Really?” The doctor frowned. “We’ll adjust your digoxin and see if that helps.” He scribbled out a new prescription and handed it to the young man.

“So, any news about my placement on the list?” Jim asked, nervously tapping the prescription on his hand rapidly.

“I’m afraid not Jim,” Chris shook his head. “Since you aren’t horribly sick you’re still a little low on the list. I think you should join a support group.”

“What?” Jim asked sharply, raising his eyebrows. “I don’t need group therapy sessions. I can deal with this on my own.”

“Heart failure is a traumatic experience to go through, especially at your age,” Chris tried to explain but Jim’s glare made him sigh.

“Yes, it is, but I’m fine,” The younger man said through gritted teeth. “I should be getting home now.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you,” Chris frowned. “Jim, I’ve been your doctor for almost nine years and I think it would be best. You’ve been dealing with this by yourself for a long time and talking it through with someone will help.”

“I’m fine,” He muttered, staring at the prescription. “I’m sorry Chris, but I really don’t want to go to those depressing meetings. I tried them when I was in college and all that happens is that the number of members gets smaller. They don’t help.”

Chris looked at him sadly and nodded. “I understand. You’ll call me if anything happens?”

“Yeah,” Jim stood and shook Chris’s hand. “Good to see you man.”

“You too, we’ll get that heart someday,” The doctor grinned and Jim chuckled back.

As he walked out of the office, he gave a small smile at the older couple before hurrying to his car.

~*~

“Hey man, I got you your veggie thing,” Mark called out as soon as Jim walked in the door. He was sitting on the couch motioning at the white carton with his chopsticks.

Jim sat down heavily on the couch and poked at his food with his chopsticks, not paying attention to the game on television at all.

“He said my chances of getting a heart soon were incredibly slim,” Jim mumbled suddenly.

“Dude, that sucks,” Mark replied, patted his friend on the shoulders. Jim smiled back at him slightly but it vanished soon after.

“Yeah,” Jim mumbled before nibbling on a piece of steamed broccoli.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans