- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just some happiness. You should listen to the song as you read, because I tried to make the flow of the story fit with the lyrics. Don't be surprised if you read some of the same lines, haha. The song is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8VnBXj0tc&feature=related

Anyway, this is just a little something I did in about twenty minutes since I couldn't work on "The First." I hope you enjoy!

Standard disclaimer applies, small spoilers for "Blood Drive"
"Fact: today was weird."

"Yes, Dwight. It was."

"That was incredibly uncalled for, Beesly."

"Don't act like him, then." She was using that fake-bossy tone of voice, the one she always uses when she jokes around with me. If she were using that voice on anybody else, they'd be in trouble, but not me. She loves me too much.

I rolled down the window of her car, letting the air blow in my face. My brother and his wife had gotten us tickets to a couples only Valentine's Day thing at the country club, and we went, even though we didn't really want to. Apparently, those tickets cost some money, and Pam is too nice of a person to turn down something like that. It turned out to be pretty fun and they had an open bar, so win-win for me. A few beers and one whiskey and coke my brother had talked me into had dulled the memory of overhearing Bob and Phyllis. Pam had wanted to do the same, but she was driving. I felt kind of bad for her, but I had drank too much to really be bothered by it.

Not that I was drunk or anything. Just buzzed. Buzzed enough to appreciate the feel of the cool night air on my face and the way it felt when I breathed it in deep. The country club was by Lake Scranton in a pretty isolated area, and I could smell the pine trees as we drove down the dark road.

"I mean, seriously? Did they really think that we wouldn't notice that they were gone for so long?"

"Okay, ew, Jim. It creeped me out enough at lunch for me to never want to talk about it again."

I smiled, the alcohol in my system making me feel warm and heavy. Or maybe that's just because I was looking at her. Sometimes, it's still so hard for me to believe that I'm allowed to hold her hand, rub her back, kiss her, make love to her. That I wake up every morning next to the most beautiful woman in the world, in a house that we're slowly making our own. That the ring finger on her left hand is something I love to look at now, as opposed to before when the sight of it made me want to throw up. Every time she squeezes my hand and says, "I love you," it's like a miracle. I'll never get used to it, and I don't ever want to.

"Wow. You can really see the stars out here, can't you? I never come this way. It's really beautiful, isn't it, Jim?"

"Yeah, it is." But I don't look at the stars. She looked at me, noticing that I'm still looking at her, and blushed. I fell in love again.

"Seriously, look at them. It's kind of amazing."

I turned my head and gazed upwards at the sky. She was right, it was breathtaking. I squint my eyes, trying to discern if any of the tiny, twinkling lights up there are planets or shooting stars or satellites.

"I wonder, do they collide?"

"What?"

"Shooting stars and satellites. Or meteors and satellites. Or comets and satellites."

She smiled and shook her head at me. "What? It's a serious question. Inquiring minds want to know," I teased.

"Does it really matter, though? I mean, what could we do about it if they did?"

I reached down and slid my seat back as far as it would go so I could stretch my legs out on the dashboard. She was right, it doesn't matter, especially not right now. Nothing, not even the entire world, matters when I'm with her. I can always only focus on Pam.

She made the left turn onto our road and the light from a street lamp caught her ring. The light reflecting from it made my heart swell until I felt like it was going to burst open. That one little piece of jewelry held so many promises that we were making to each other, that I was making to her: to be her courage when she's scared, to be her laughter when she's sad, to be her pride when she's embarrassed, to be her guide when she needs direction, and so many more, and all of them forever.

Forever. For all time.

Riding in the passenger seat while Pam drives me home is always like this. And I never, ever, ever want it to change.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! =)


BigTuna is the author of 24 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Passenger Seat also liked 1708 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans