- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I was listening to "Sea Breeze" by Tyrone Wells. And it inspired this.

Not mine, sadly. "Sea Breeze" isn't either. But, I own both on iTunes, and THAT they can't take away.
They walked hand in hand along the beach in a comfortable silence, the breeze shimmying around them in a sensual, soft dance. The sand was fresh beneath their feet, the sky a myriad of jeweled reds and purples and blues. The amber sun was at the horizon, dipping slowly below the crest of the earth, the air becoming chilly, and quiet. His hand squeezed hers, her rings feeling metallic and cool under his palm, and just thinking about them put a smile on his face and made his heart swell. She turned her head towards him and grinned, squeezing his hand in turn.

“I love you, Mr. Halpert.”

He grinned back.

“I love you more, Mrs. Halpert.”

He stopped and pulled her towards him, his arms surrounding her, one hand on the small of her back, the other tangled in her honey colored curls. She giggled into his chest, kissing his neck above the collar of his oxford shirt. And then proceeded to tickle him to the sand beneath them. When he fell on top of her, an arm on each side of her head holding him up, he kissed her nose and her forehead and sighed in a way that even surprised him. She laughed.

“I’m hoping that was a good sigh, Jim.”

“God, you have no idea,” He replied, easily.

They sat up towards the waves that crashed before them, watching the sun slide lower, and when he put his arm around her shoulders, she leaned her head on his chest. She reached up to grasp his hand in hers, turning it over to admire the smooth, shiny gold finish of his wedding ring against the warm brown tan of his skin, looking so simple and natural there. That was exactly what a wedding ring was. An uncomplicated round circle of gold, with no beginning, and no end. But man, how much more did it stand for?

It stood for the past. It stood for his first day at Dunder Mifflin, wearing a white shirt and a navy blue tie. It was a first “date” at Cuginos, it was a first prank on Dwight. It was exchanging phone numbers, it was falling in love. It was a periwinkle blue dress below a street lamp, it was a confession and a single tear. It was moving away, and trying to move on. It was breaking up and trying to hold it together. It was a woman with dark hair and an unanswered text. It was coming home to a hug and a refusal. It was a Dwight-comforted cry in a hallway and a hot coal walk. It was a gold yogurt lid and a dinner invitation. It was a move to New York and a gas station proposal. It was his childhood home and knowing just how much he loved her.

It stood for the present. It stood for standing before him in a white eyelet dress, it was for the sweet, round hum of emotion in his voice. It was a simple vow, and pledging forever. It was how her hands trembled slipping the ring over his knuckle, it was how he licked his lips swiftly before pulling her to him, his hands running over her hair and cheeks before kissing her as his wife for the first time. It was a slow tear running down her cheek, it was a stranger signing their marriage certificate.

It stood for the future. It stood for a little boy on a basketball team, a little girl with a paintbrush in her tiny hand. It stood for a bright yellow kitchen and Sunday morning breakfasts in bed. It was a road trip to the beach, it was holding hands at a high school graduation. It was vacations to Europe, it was fights and making up. It was growing up, it was growing old. It was being together to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary, it was losing one the next year. It was losing the other just two weeks later.

But beyond all of that, it meant being in love. It meant knowing that when he woke up every morning, she’d be there. It meant that when she went to bed every night, he’d be there. It meant forgiveness and patience, understanding and encouragement. It meant holding hands through a parking lot and a kiss at reception, it meant a smile and a knowing wink. It meant passion. It meant some hardships. It meant things weren’t perfect, and never would be, but they had the strength to work through it.

He smiled down at her, and flipped her own hand over so the diamonds sparkled in the fading light.
“So… Married, huh?” He asked coyly, breathing in the summery scent of her hair. “Must be some guy.”

“Oh believe me, he is,” She laughed. “You’ll have to meet him sometime.”

“Really? Tell me about him.”

She paused, bringing his hand closer to her heart.

“Well,” She began, “He’s pretty tall, and shaggy brown hair, and he has the most gorgeous green eyes.”

“Nice! Keep going,” Came the muffled voice behind her.

“He’s smart, and funny, and charming… I know, I fell for him almost immediately.”

His arm tightened around her.

“And he’s super handsome and,” She turned her face to press small kisses up his jaw, “He is freaking fantastic in bed.”

He chuckled. “Good to know, Beesley,” He said, pushing himself to stand up. He grasped her hands and pulled her up next to him. She pushed with both hands gently on his chest.

“It’s Halpert, now.”

He ran his hands down her arms to firmly grasp her hips.

“That it is, sweetheart. That it most,” He quickly picked her up and swung her over his shoulder, “Certainly is!”

As he ran down the beach back towards their hotel, the sun passed below the horizon. The sea breeze swept around their laugher, carrying it through the air. And that stood for everything.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! :)


stjoespirit04 is the author of 25 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Sea Breeze also liked 2115 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans