- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Post Two Weeks.  Jim and Pam have a conversation.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Not gonna lie.  I wasn't entirely happy with how things went down this week but I'm slowly coming around a bit.  Here's what I think could have happened in the hours after...well, you know. 

A fluffy bit of nothing really.  Just a conversation I've been craving and an impulse to write it down.   I've been having a bit of trouble with that lately - so this was nice.

Anyway...hope you enjoy.

xoxoxo

Disclaimer:  Not mine.  Never were, never will be.

 

"So..."

"So."

"I thought we agreed not to tell him exactly where the house was."

"He had to drive me home, Jim.  I couldn't exactly lie to him."

The remnants of a celebratory meal comprised of double cheese pizza and mozzarella sticks (Michael's request) litter the small breakfast nook.  Jim starts to clear the table as Pam stares into her wineglass.    He regards her closely, determining that it'll probably take roughly ten seconds before she says something more.  He closes his eyes and counts to himself.

She speaks by the time he gets to nine.

"Jim?"

His eyes open widely as his lips curve into a grin.  "Yep."

"You know that I..."  Pam trails off then bows her head again.

"I do."

"And it's not that I..."

Jim nods before she can finish.  "Right."

"It's like I couldn't stop myself.  I honestly don't know what came over me."

He laughs then.  "I can help you out there. I'm going with temporary insanity."

She brings the glass to her mouth, drains the contents and places it slowly back down.  

"Need something stronger?"

She smiles softly.  "Like what?"

"I don't know tequila maybe?"  He suddenly looks as if he's just had a brilliant idea. "Hey. Go grab a baseball hat and some sunglasses.  I'll sneak you into Chili's."

"Ha."  Pam rolls her eyes.  "Very funny." 

"You can still change your mind you know.  I left most of your stuff there just in case you snapped out of it."

"Don't..."

"What?"

"I've thought about it a lot  since I left and here's the thing..."  Her voice sounds a bit defensive.  "The thing is he's actually a really good salesman."

Jim grabs the bottle from the counter and refills her glass.  "I never said he wasn't."  He moves to the fridge to snag himself a beer, twists off the top and tosses it into the sink.  It bounces noisily against the stainless steel before it settles there.  He moves to sit across from her, clinking his bottle against her glass.

"To the Michael Scott Paper Company."  He says before taking a sip.  "May you be just successful enough to earn a profit, but not quite successful enough to put me out of a job."

"Jim.  Honestly.  I think I can do this."  She takes a steadying breath and stares into his eyes. 

He can tell what she wants him to say.  He collects his thoughts before he speaks. "Never said you couldn't.  Look.  I knew you wanted out.  We've been talking about this ever since you came back from New York." 

Pam sighs.  "You just didn't think I'd pick this."

"C'mon.  You didn't think you'd pick this."  He gently lays his hand over hers and gives her fingers a squeeze.  "Pam, listen.  You can do anything you want - I truly believe that.  But..."  He stops again, wanting to get his point across properly.

"Don't stop now.  Go ahead.  I know you're dying to." 

"I thought you wanted something different.  And this seems to me like you're just asking for more of the same.  Face it.  He's going to drive you crazy..."

Her back stiffens.  "I can handle Michael."

Jim nods.  "Better than anyone I know.  But do you want to handle Michael?  Really?!?"

"I don't..."  She takes another gulp of wine.  "I know what I don't want.  I don't want to be a receptionist anymore."

"And that's completely understandable."

"My greatest accomplishment today was mastering a photocopier."  She shakes her head as she pleads with him.  "Jim.  A photocopier."

"Look, you'll get no argument from me.  Your talents are definitely being wasted."

His compliment barely registers.  "And you forget - Michael surprises us all the time.  Maybe he can do it.  Maybe he can actually do it."

Jim shrugs but his voice shows he's unconvinced.  "Maybe he can."

Pam's eyes brighten as she squeezes his hand back.  "And when he does - then we'll be recruiting you."

Jim laughs, a low bitter chuckle.  "Don't kid about that.  I might actually need you to."

Concern fills Pam's features. Her tone turns serious.  "Hey.  Charles will come around."

"You think so?  After you guys left he gave Kevin your job and made Stanley in charge of productivity." 

Pam's eyes widen.  

"Yeah.  You heard me.  I swear.  The guy is clueless in ways Michael never was."

"Wow.  Okay, that's kind of scary."

"You think?"  Jim's eyebrow rises as he takes a long pull from his beer.

This time she's the one who can hear what's not being said.  She rushes to soothe him.  "Obviously he's an idiot, since he clearly doesn't realize how valuable you are."  Pam pushes her glass away and moves towards his chair.

"Ohhkay."  He shifts to let her crawl into his lap.

She frames his face in her hands, touching her lips to his.  "You're the very best salesman that place has ever seen."

"Better than Michael you mean?" 

Pam smiles and kisses him again in response.

"You better hope so."  Jim laughs and then deepens the kiss.  His arm moves to curl around her waist, pulling her closer.   "Tell me something."  His mouth moves to graze her ear.  "When the bank forecloses on the house, would you rather live in a tent or a double-wide?"

"I'll need to get back to you if the time comes."  Her voice lowers as she pulls back, her eyes searching his face.  "I'm so sorry.  I didn't mean to make you worry."

"It's nothing," he shrugs.  "It's not like I don't worry on a regular basis." 

Pam brushes a lock of hair off his forehead.  "I'll find something else if it turns out we need the money.  I promise you."

"We're okay right now.  Let's see what happens."  He blows out a breath slowly.  His expression barely changes but Pam can see something flicker in his eyes, like he's just remembered something important.

"What's that look?"

"Hmm?"  Jim bites his lip and shakes his head.  "It's nothing."

It's clear that's not at all true.  Pam is determined to drag it out of him.

"Tell me."

His eyes won't meet hers as he answers. "Nothing.  I knew it wouldn't last forever.  I'm...just..."  He sighs heavily. "I'm gonna miss you."

Pam's face lights up in spite of herself at the sound of his words. "Jim..."

His fingers trail up and down her arm, making her shiver a bit.  "It's true.  I already know what it's like without you there.  Kinda sucks."

"I know what you mean.  I'll miss you too.  Before..."  Pam's eyes get dreamy as she continues.  "...you know, you were the only reason I got up on Monday mornings. Seriously.  And Friday afternoons were my least favorite." 

She leans close and kisses him, reminding them both how amazing it is that they have come this far.  "Some people hate the work week.  Back then, I dreaded the weekends."

He grins widely, his voice teasing her a bit.  "You could have called me anytime you know.  I'd have loved to spend the weekends with you."

"I know."  Her eyes meet his and hold.  "Well.  Now you do."

"Yeah."  She smiles as he brushes his lips across her forehead.  "Now I do."



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked The Only Constant also liked 1942 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans