19 [Reviews - 41] Printer ePub eBook
Summary: An AU set in the quintessential summer locale...with a bit of a twist.
Rated: T
Categories: Jim and Pam, Alternate Universe Characters: Ensemble, Jim, Karen, Pam, Roy
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Humor, Inner Monologue, Romance, Travel, Workdays
Warnings: Adult language
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No
Word count: 15477 Read: 11454 ePub Downloads: 2
Published: May 19, 2009 Updated: July 19, 2009
[Report This]
Story Notes:
So after a season finale like that, what better to start writing than an AU that explores all that glorious season two and three angst? ;)

I claimed I'd NEVER write an AU. There was just no way. And yet, about six months ago this idea popped into my head. I tried to forget it, ignore it, but it kept sneaking back up, and backstories and ideas bloomed with no effort. What I loved most, though, was that it allowed the characters to be at their best, without changing a single aspect of their personalities. (Minus their ages; I took the small liberty of "youngening" everyone to the age they were when the show started.) Plus, it allowed me to revisit that historic time on the show I missed out on in a new way, being a late-comer and all.

The setting for this story is based on a very real place; it's somewhere I spent time every summer for ten years as a kid, then a teenager. Since I've taken some artistic license with it, I've changed the name. I have, however, compiled some pictures, just so you can see the place as clearly as I can. Furthermore, I decided to keep it in its (and my) home state of Michigan, because I just can't imagine it anywhere else, and frankly didn't feel like doing hours of research. :) That means all the characters have relocated as well. Here's a map that highlights anywhere I mention in the story, and I'll update as needed. There's also this playlist, that'll have every song from which I take chapter titles. (The story's title is from Sly and the Family Stone's "Hot Fun in the Summertime.")

Whew. So much explanation from a chick that claims to hate it. ;) Just one last thing - my endless gratitude to Dundie All-Star, an amazing friend, support and sounding board I'm still sure I don't deserve. Also thanks to Cousin Mose, who's encouraging and helpful and all-around kicks ass.

I know it's a bit different, but it'll also prove to be very familiar too, and I really hope you enjoy my offering for this long, episodeless summer!

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with NBC, The Office, or any of its writers or actors. The characters Pam and Jim belong to NBC and the producers and writers of The Office and no money is being made from this story. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. C'mon, what's wrong? It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on... by Little Comment [Reviews - 16] 7 (3178 words)
Some explanation to start us off...y'know, typical AU. ;)

Chapter title from Fountains of Wayne's "Radiation Vibe."

2. Walk with me, Suzy Lee, through the park and by the tree... by Little Comment [Reviews - 10] 3 (3594 words)
Okay, so, I couldn't let the whole weekend pass without letting our protagonists meet! Thanks so much for your reviews thus far! I will be answering them as soon as possible - I didn't think anyone would mind me posting this first. ;)

By the way - interested in finding your way around camp? Oh good, because I brought a "map!" :D

Chapter title from the White Stripes' "We're Going To Be Friends."

3. I'm a lot like you, so please, hello - I'm here, I'm waiting... by Little Comment [Reviews - 7] 4 (3667 words)
Did you think I'd forgotten you? Of course not! Don't be silly! I've been nit-picking at this chapter for a week. It's sort of ridiculous.

I know this story's meandering along at a pretty slow pace, and that's intentional (read: if you need Jim and Pam together by chapter four, you will be disappointed ;) ). I hope you continue to enjoy, and thanks so much for giving this a chance!

Chapter title from Weezer's "El Scorcho."

4. And I feel happy too, this is happy fun - it's true... by Little Comment [Reviews - 8] 5 (5038 words)
Holy...?! WHAT? Who leaves a story un-updated for almost two months? I mean really, what kind of jerk does that?

O hai. Guess I'm that kind of jerk. But, I had a wedding I was in...and, and I was so uninspired...a-and, the dog! I mean cat! The cat ate my...computer?

Sigh. Yeah, guys, I suck. But even if this is my swan song (and it's looking that way), I will finish this. Hey, when did Dundie All-Star last update? And hasn't miss Wendy Blue taken two years to write "One Day?"

OH MY GOD, I'M SO SORRY. I'M THROWING MY BELOVED FRIENDS UNDER THE BUS. I REALLY DO SUCK.

Please to enjoy this chapter. As South Park taught us, sometimes you gotta use a (LONG) montage! And title from Reel Big Fish's "Good Thing."