- Text Size +
Story Notes:
As we near Season 6 and the impending baby Halpert arrival (squeeee!), I thought I'd write a birth story that has elements of reality, with some fluff sprinkled throughout.  This story is based on my experience of becoming a mother for the first time.  It was an amazing and frightening experience, but my husband and I gained a whole new respect for each other.  I'd like to think of Jim and Pam going through a similar journey.
Author's Chapter Notes:

Our story begins on a Tuesday in the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin.  Here we get to see how Pam is dealing with her pregnancy in the office.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

She was really beginning to hate her rolling chair.  Every time Pam tried to get up to do something in the office she had to brace herself on the desk and hurl herself upright.  Her rolling chair didn't always give her the leverage she needed to stand and she was often left gripping her desk as she and her eight-month pregnant belly negotiated an upright position.  Jim always watched with narrowed eyes and a hopeful expression each time Pam got up from her desk.  She hadn't fallen flat on her ass yet, but each trip away from her desk seemed like it could go either way.

Right now, all she needed to do was get to the copier.  It was right behind her and part of her wished she could just roll over to it while seated in her chair, but that just seemed lazy and pathetic, so she made the big push away from her desk. Steady...steady...success!  Pam took a few wide-legged steps and lifted the lid of the copier.

“My God, you are getting big,” Meredith said while staring at Pam's stomach.

“Thank you, Meredith,” Pam uttered through a tight-lipped smile.


“How far along are you now?”


“Ummm...35 weeks on Friday.”


“Really? I don't know, the way you are carrying, you're just really low...and you've got the walk.”


“The walk?”


“Yeah, I'd know that walk anywhere.  Let me ask you something.  Does your back hurt?”


“A little, but that's just normal pregnancy symptoms.”


“Okay, what about down there?” Meredith pointed to below Pam's belly.


“Uh, down there?”


“Yeah, does it feel like there is a bowling ball sitting on your vagina?”


“Meredith!”


“Oh, don't act like you've never heard that word, Miss Priss.”


“I've heard of the word,” Pam whispered, “but I don't exactly like discussing it in front of everyone.”


“Hey, Beesly, how are those copies going?” Jim interjected as he appeared beside Pam, placing a soothing hand on her lower back.


“Jim, you'd better get ready to take her to the hospital, because I'd bet my van she's squeezing that kid of yours out soon,” Meredith said while pointing the straw in her plastic cup towards Pam.


“Meredith, she's only 35 weeks on Friday,” Jim offered as Pam nodded.

“Well, all I can tell ya is I've had two kids and I know that walk,” Meredith shrugged as she turned back to her computer.


“Ignore her. She's probably drunk,” Jim whispered.


Pam turned and grabbed her copies. “Yeah, well it's 10 am, so I wouldn't be surprised.”


“C'mon, I put the kettle on for your tea,”


Jim guided Pam into the kitchen and in one motion pulled out a chair and gave his arm for support to help her sit down.  As he busied himself making tea, Pam stared blankly at the wall in front of her.  Meredith's words stuck with her and a small wave of panic rolled into her thoughts.


The nursery isn't done yet and they still had 2 pre-natal classes to go to...4 pounds? Is that how big it would be right now?


“Hey, hey...” Jim sat down and broke Pam's trance.  He set down the tea and slipped his hand in hers. “Seriously, Pam, don't worry.  Remember what Nurse Kerry said last week in class about first babies?”


“Ummm...I don't know...”


“She said that first babies are usually late...and women often have to be induced.”


“Well, I'm glad you're paying attention in class.”


“C'mon, we have nothing to worry about.”  His other hand rested on top of Pam's. “Look, how about I paint the nursery this weekend, and we can get some things ready in the house. Would that help?”


“Yeah,” Pam smiled faintly.


“Okay, now drink this delicious cup of decaffeinated tea that I so lovingly brewed for you and then we can get back out there and sell some paper.”


Pam snickered and whispered, “Thanks.”

~*~

As the day dragged on, Pam was losing energy fast and felt achy and tired.  Her feet and ankles were swollen and her wedding ring was now permanently stuck on her hand.  Her Braxton Hicks contractions were creating a never-ending tightening of the muscles and skin across her stomach and, although she hated to admit it, there was definitely a 'bowling ball on the privates' feeling going on.  But with only 20 minutes left in the work day, relief was on its way.  Soon Jim would deliver her home where she could flop out on the couch and mindlessly watch tv.  She only had one more tedious task to finish before she left, so she made the trek into Michael's office.


“Hey preggo! What can I do you for? Well, you've already been done, obviously, but hey, I've always wondered what it's like to--”


“Michael, I just need you to sign this for the Barnes account,” Pam said with an exasperated sigh as she dropped the file on Michael's desk.


Michael's eyes drifted downward.  Pam rolled her eyes and snapped her fingers in front of Michael's face.  “Michael! Focus! I just want to get this done so I can get out of here.”


“What? Oh, sorry. But, God, Pam, seriously, I just can't get over those boobs, I mean...WOW!”


“Michael, what did we say about boob talk?”


“I know, I know, but I can't help it! They are just out there and they are just...” Michael made a squeezing gesture with his hands.  “Grrrrrr baby, very grrrrrr!”


“Please just sign the papers,” Pam said with closed eyes while rubbing her forehead.  “I'm sore, I'm tired and I just can't deal with your Austin Powers boob talk right now.”


“Okay, okay. Geez.  Poor Jim having to deal with this perma PMS all the time.”


Michael quickly signed the papers and slid them over his desk to Pam.


“Thank you Michael, I'll see you tomorrow.”


“Oh and Pam?”


Pam turned at the doorway, “Yes?”


“I'm sorry about the boob talk, but you're just got that beautiful pregnant glow, that's all I meant.”


“Thank you, Michael.”


He shook his head and sighed.  “You and Jim are so lucky to be living my dream. He's lucky to have you, kiddo.”


“Thanks, that's very sweet.”


“But hey, you know, speaking of boobs--”


“No--”


“Jan's boobs got pretty big when she was pregnant and sometimes she would let me--”


“Good night, Michael.”

Chapter End Notes:

Just a little note about "Braxton Hicks" contractions.  They aren't real contractions, but in my experience they were pretty uncomfortable and annoying.

Thanks so much to my betas kerber1920 and jinx Feel free to review!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans