- Text Size +
Story Notes:
"I have only one request of your life
That you spend it all with me."
- Bergman/Legrand

.


.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is pure, insulin requiring, cheesy fluff, but it's just something I had to write and get out of my system. It started as an epilogue for another story I wrote (Temper) and morphed into this stand alone wedding night oneshot. The title is taken from the Bergman/Legrand song. I've included lyrics and a link after the story. This takes place four months after Temper. And Nan, honey, you ahh such a peach!



.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.




Every ten minutes or so they managed to rendezvous, exchanging anecdotes or “can you believes” at the antics of the guests, and reassuring themselves that the reception was going well. She was amazed at how little time they were actually spending together, but then again, she supposed a reception wasn’t for them to talk, but rather to let everyone else share in this monumental moment in their lives. And boy were they sharing. The wedding ceremony had been perfect, but she hadn’t been prepared for this first couple of hours of married life.

Married, she thought. They were married. She smiled.

Since the cake cutting and the first dance, there had been a constant barrage of polite and careful conversation. They’d decided not to tell anyone about the pregnancy, and other than her mom, she hadn’t imagined anyone would suspect. Yet here, an hour into the reception, she found herself noticing a lot of little remarks, and hearing a lot said in between the words in people’s comments.

She managed a gracious escape from her neighbor Mrs. Harrod, and caught up with Jim as was finishing a conversation with Andy. “Oh, and Tuna, I hear you and missus acquired a pet guppy, “Andy said with an exaggerated wink. “Don’t worry, my lips are sealed. I’m happy for you. I’d love to have a couple of Nard puppies someday myself,” Andy said wistfully.

“Oh wow,” Jim said nervously, looking up, “I think they just brought out more mushroom caps.” He pointed across the room.

“Really?” Andy said, and looked expectantly toward the buffet. As Andy set out for the food table, they edged themselves away from the crowd, anxious to talk between themselves.

“Jim, I think everybody here knows about the baby,” she said urgently.

“I think you’re right. Your mom just told me she was looking forward to our…joint venture, and then she winked.”

“I figured my mom knew,” she shrugged.

“It’s not just her though. The good thing is, everybody seems to know, but they think they’re the only ones who know. And that is what is going to get us through this. As long as Grandma Halpert doesn’t find out. My dad really wouldn’t want that.”

“Why is that, exactly?” she tried to remember.

“She’s very Old South. You know, proper.”

“I haven’t met her yet. She’s nice though, right?”

“Oh yeah, absolutely. And sharp as a tack, too.” Jim added.

Just then Jim’s Aunt Nadine approached and whisked Pam off to meet her husband, and Jim got cornered by Pam’s Uncle Peter to talk about the Phillies game.

Ten minutes later

“My feet hurt,” she whined to him.

“Just take your shoes off,” he suggested.

“I don’t know if I can get them back on,” she said.

Ten minutes later

“I can’t believe it, Tom’s toast was…nice. I think we’ve got it made, Pam.”

Ten minutes later

“Aunt Gilda just kicked a piece of cake under the table, and Candice’s two year old picked it up and ate it.” Jim said with a disgusted face.

“Yeah, well Kevin won’t stop looking at your sister in law’s boobs. He’s in danger of being slapped.”

And ten minutes after that

“I have a blister. And have you had a chance to eat? I’m starving,” she complained.

“Nope, no food for me either. Every time I get close to the table, somebody drags me somewhere else. My mom’s best friend just told me how “glowing” you look, by the way. I think she knows, too.”

And on it went. She was thanking the Simpsons for their help with the catering when a tiny elderly woman with well coifed white hair approached Pam with a deliberate, careful gait. Her face was wrinkled above her smart powder blue suit, and a white rose wedding party corsage adorned her lapel. The frailty of her bent body contrasted greatly with her alert blue eyes.

“Pamela, honey, can I talk to you in private for a minute?” the woman asked, her voice gravely and thick with a classic Georgia drawl. Her “I,” Pam noted, came out more like, “Ahh.” Though she had never met Grandma Halpert, Pam knew instantly who this was.

Pam stole a glance across the room to see Jim’s eyes grow wide as saucers, a look of terror on his face. There was nothing to be done, so Pam smiled and said, “Sure Grandma Halpert, how about over here?”

“Pehhrfect,” the word came out lazily, “but you really must call me Grace.”

Pam took the woman’s gnarled hand in hers and as she helped her to a chair in a quiet corner, she turned to mouth to Jim, It’s okay. Turning back to the older woman, she asked congenially, “It’s so nice to finally meet you. Jim has told me so much about you. Are you having a good time?” and she sat down beside her. They were out of earshot of the rest of the guests.

“Why yes, yes I am, sweetie,” Grace Halpert confirmed in her drawl. “I’m glad I bothered Paul to bring me. I don’t get out much anymore – let alone travel - but I did have to insist on seeing my little Jimmy married,” she laughed. “My” came out “mah,” Pam observed.

Then the older woman leaned close to Pam and spoke in words just for her, “So, honey, when are you due?”

Pam inhaled sharply and clamped her jaw shut. Oh my God, what should she say? She wondered, panicking. Grace Halpert’s seeing eyes must have picked up immediately on her discomfort, because she was quick with her next words. “Oh don’t worry, darlin’, I think it’s fabulous. Besides, anybody here can see from across the room how much Jimmy adores you. And I won’t tell a living soul.”

Pam swallowed. Maybe this was going to be okay. “February,” she finally managed to get out.

“Oh, that’s lovely, cold weather,” Grace said, melding the ending “r” into an “h”. Then she raised her eyebrows in a conspiring manner and lowered her voice even more. “Pamela, dear, I’m going to tell you something I’ve never told anyone else, and so I’m going to ask, now hon, that you not repeat it. Except to Jimmy of course, because I know you’ll tell him, anyway.” Her eyes twinkled.

“Okay,” Pam sputtered, at this point completely unsure of what to expect, and listened intently to this tiny woman’s words.

“You see, I was carrying Jimmy’s daddy, George, when I married my Dan. I wasn’t very far along, and I never told anybody. Not even Daniel.”

Pam’s face lit up in stunned surprise. “You were...you didn’t tell your husband?”

“No, honey, I did not. Not even after we were married – no, I didn’t ever want Jim’s daddy to know that he’d been conceived before the wedding.” She paused. “That’s the only secret I ever kept from Daniel. I loved him dearly, you know – he was my best friend.” Her clear blue eyes looked up wistfully. “Fifty two wonderful years together.”

“How long has he...been gone?” Pam asked.

“It’ll be nine years in January,“ the older woman said, with longing in her voice.

“That must be hard. You must miss him.” Pam had never thought too much about how it felt for an older person who’d lost their spouse. It always seemed so far away, but now the thought touched her deeply.

“Every minute of every hour of every day,” Grace said matter of factly, and clasped Pam’s hand with her own paper skinned one. “Don’t take a day for granted, honey,” she advised. “Make them all count,” she said, and squeezed Pam’s hand tightly.

Pam felt her tears welling up – and she had promised herself she wouldn’t cry today. She looked across the room to Jim, whose eyes were still nervously on them, and gave him a reassuring smile. He took a big breath, the relief showing on his face. This was a story she couldn’t wait to tell him, but it would have to be later tonight.

Grace noticed that Pam was looking at Jim. “Of course, grandmothers aren’t supposed to say this, sugar, but little Jimmy was always my favorite,” she confided, drawing out the word ‘fav- oh – rite.’ “ I see so much of my Dan in him.”

“Jim has told me how sweet you were to him...how you bought him special toys and things,” Pam assured her. Funny, in a round about way, Pam mused, Grandma Halpert was partially responsible for this pregnancy. But that was another story. They both looked up as a wiry, impeccably dressed woman of about thirty clattered hurriedly toward them, heels clacking against the wood floor.

“Oh no,” Grace Halpert said in a whisper. “Here comes that patronizing little heifer, Cheryl,” and then added for Pam’s benefit, “Jim’s cousin. She can’t wait for me to die,” she explained, “because she wants my great grandpa Wilson’s walnut secretary.”

“You willed it to her?” Pam asked, unsure of how to respond.

“No,” Grace Halpert said with a sly smile, “she only thinks I did, and not because of anything I said. I have no idea where she got the idea. Because, Pamela,” she added, “I’ve willed it to you and Jimmy, don’t you know? But don’t be gettin’ in a hurry for it now,” she said, and laughed brightly, turning to the approaching woman.

“Why Grandma Halpert,“ Cheryl blurted out, finally reaching them, “Are you doing all right? I didn’t see you and I was worried about you,” she smothered Grace with attention. “Did you get some cake, sweetie? Let’s go over and get some cake, I’m sure Pam has a lot of guests to see to.”

“Why, bless your heart, Cheryl,” she said, as the younger woman helped her rise and steered her toward the crowd. “I don’t want any cake, but I could sure do with another glass of champagne.” Cheryl responded with a horrified look. Grace Halpert looked back to give Pam a wink, and Pam flashed a broad smile. Wow. Jim hadn’t exaggerated when he said Grandma Halpert was sharp.

She rose and started toward Jim, cursing her blister, but someone in motion on the other side of the room caught her attention. It was Roy, and he was headed in Jim’s direction. He looked like he’d had a few, and she’d been with him long enough to know that the look in his eye right now did not bode well. He was dating Kristy now, a good friend of Pam’s from high school, and when Pam invited Kristy to the wedding, she’d asked if it was okay if Roy came – she confided they were getting serious. After consulting with Jim, Pam had told her it was fine if she brought him. Jim seemed to think that he and Roy were on good terms, so really, why not?

But this so did not look good, Pam fretted. She glanced back at Jim, who was talking to Dwight, unaware that Roy was approaching. She wondered, as she made her way slowly through the crowd toward him, if Jim was setting the prank he’d devised for Dwight in motion right now. She needed to get there before Roy, because she knew how to handle him when he got like this.

She was progressing as quickly as she could in her long flowing dress and painful footwear, but Roy got to Jim first, pulling Kristy with him on his arm. Pam was close enough to hear their conversation while she worked herself around the last small group that stood in her way.

“Congratulations, Halpert,” Roy offered, his tongue a little thick. “I see you figured out a way to actually get Pammy down the aisle,” he added with a leering smile.
Pam saw Jim stiffen and frown and he angled his head unhappily, unable to stifle a glare. Even Dwight looked taken aback at Roy’s comments.

When Roy moved his head in closer to say something else to Jim, Pam knew she had to hurry. She got there just in time to hear Roy’s quiet boast, which he delivered in a smug voice. “I could have done that a long time ago.”

Pam watched the red rise quickly from Jim’s neck to the top of his head, and she heard him sputter, “What!?” Then he lifted his right arm, and Pam did the only thing she could think of to avert disaster – she stepped between them, causing both of them to take a step back. Then she linked Jim’s arm in her own, and taking a page from Grandma Halpert’s book, she cooed sweetly, “Jim, honey, your Aunt Wilma really wants a picture of us!”

She pulled him quickly in the opposite direction, but not so quickly that they didn’t hear Dwight’s reply to Roy behind them. “Actually, the development of hormonal birth control methods has tranferred the decision making process in childbearing from the traditional male one, to a female one. Unfortunately a female now has to want to bear a man’s children in order to be impregnated.” Dwight shook his head in disgust and then paused to consider. “Or maybe you simply have inferior sperm.”

“Oh my God, Pam, thank you,” Jim breathed in her ear as they walked to the other side of the room. “I can’t believe he said that.

“I thought you might actually hit him,” she said.

“I thought so, too,” Jim was able to laugh now, but he was still serious. “I nearly just ruined our wedding reception. And wow, did Dwight just have our back?”

“This has been an amazing day,” she smiled, pulling him toward her. “Dance with me?” she added, as the strains of a slow song started.

“Whatever you wish,” he grinned and he wrapped his arms around her to dance. She swayed with him in time, leaning her head on his chest. It was time to leave, she thought. Time for them. She reached up and met his lips with hers, starting the kiss softly but then deepening it to a more urgent, intense level.

He raised an eyebrow in surprise, but responded in kind. “Pam, if you keep this up, we’re going to have to leave,” he whispered, growling softly in her ear as she pressed her warm body against his.

“I want to leave now,” she said simply. “I’m starving. And my feet hurt. And I have stuff to tell you.”

“Okay by me. We still have to do the garter and the bouquet, though. I’ll ask Dwight to get everybody in order,” he said, as they turned to head together toward the front of the room.

“So, is it still Ryan for the garter and Angela for the bouquet?” she asked as they walked.

“Works for me,” he nodded and added in a confidential tone, “By the way, I think Dwight is going to propose to Angela I’m pretty sure he has a jewelry box in his pocket.”

“Seriously?” she asked.

“Yeah, I didn’t have the heart to go through with my prank idea after I saw that, and now,” he admitted, remembering Dwight’s comments to Roy, “ I’m glad I didn’t.”

Seeing Ryan’s mortified face when he caught the garter was priceless, but not nearly as funny as seeing Kelly’s face watching Ryan catch the garter. And despite Kelly’s heroic but unsuccessful dive, Pam’s aim was true and Angela stood stone faced with the bouquet. As Angela turned away from the crowd, Pam noticed the briefest hint of a smile cross her face when she looked at Dwight.

They worked their way toward the door through the mass of guests, accepting everyone’s good wishes. At some point Phyllis caught Pam’s arm and said, “I saved two plates of food for you all. I’ll put them in the car. You’re bound to be hungry, “ she said with a knowing smile. Phyllis had mentioned many times how hungry her sister had been when she was pregnant, after all.

They were almost to the door when, Michael appeared from behind them. He put one arm around each of them, drawing them both toward him awkwardly, but with great affection. “Jimbo and Pamcakes, you take good care of each other. I’m so happy for you two.” And just as they thought he was going to cry, he added, “You all need to start making some babies tonight,” wildly hissing out the giggles with his teeth closed. Michael, oh Michael she thought. Michael was the one person here who didn’t know.

They ducked their heads to the shower of rice as they walked out, and when they looked up, they were surprised to see not Uncle Greg’s black Lexus, but Tom’s silver minivan waiting for them, complete with cans tied on the rear and shaving cream hearts with “Just Married” written on the back window.

Uncle Greg, who’d volunteered to drive, was standing by the van with the door pulled open and spoke to them apologetically. “ I got to the Lexus and it had a flat tire. The spare was flat. Tom said I could use this.” He shrugged. “Sorry.”

Out of the corner of her eye, Pam saw Phyllis stash a couple of foil covered plates in the third seat of the minivan, moving out quickly to make way for the bride and groom.

Jim and Pam looked at one another, shrugged, and grinned, and then Jim proceeded to help her into the back seat. Careful not to step on her dress, he arranged himself beside her. They waved to the guests, Greg pulled the door shut, and off they went. As soon as they got out of view, they both broke into peals of laughter.

“That was…” Pam snorted, unable to find the right descriptive phrase.

“Oh my God.” Jim agreed. “But now,” he turned to face her, as the expression on his face changed, “ it’s just us.” He kissed her slow and sweet.

She returned his kiss, and then unceremoniously kicked off her shoes. “God these things are killing me,” she giggled. “And I’m starving!”

“Me, too. Starving I mean, not killing you,” he added, loosening his tie.

“Phyllis put some plates of food for us in here somewhere.” Pam said, glancing around the car. “Let’s eat.”

“Now?” he asked, locating the plates on the seat behind them.

“Yes, now. I feel a little lightheaded.”

“Anything for my...wife.” A satisfied grin spread over his face as that word sank into him.

“Hey, Mom’s next door neighbor Carole said now I should get busy and show you who is boss,” she said with mock seriousness. “So where’s the food?”

He pulled the foil off a plate and picked up a finger sandwich. “Open wide,” he said, as he popped it into her mouth, “One for you.” She laid her head back over his lap, resting her head in the crook of his arm, and responded with an appreciative “mmm” as she chewed. He reached over her, putting another small sandwich in her mouth, “And one for baby.”

She giggled again, giddy now that they were alone. Well, except for Greg, who was ex FBI, and Jim had assured her that he would never breathe a word of anything to anyone. Not that it mattered at this point. “Guess I can tell Carole I’ve got things under control,” she teased.

Jim almost said something, and then stopped himself.

“What?” she asked.

“I was just thinking,” he mused, unable to completely stifle a grin.

“What?” she said more insistently.

“Promise you won’t smack me?” he asked, as the smile played on his face.

She nodded and asked impatiently, “What?”

“Well Bee….um…Mrs. Halpert, I’d say I’m the one who’s got you right where I’ve always wanted you.” He paused for effect.

“Why would I slap you for that? “ she asked sweetly, tilting her head to look up at him.

He delivered the punchline with a huge smile,”My wife…barefoot and pregnant.”

“Oh my God!” she said, and delivered a smart whack to his forearm, which he’d already raised in anticipation of her response.

Between shared reception stories, they managed to consume the entire two plates of food by the time they reached the hotel. Greg opened the door to the van for them, shook Jim’s hand, and handed him the room keycard. “Your bags are already up there. Congratulations,” he added.

Pam carried her shoes in her hand as they located their room in the swanky hotel. And when the door lock flashed green, Jim stuck his foot in the door and gathered her flowing gown with one arm. Then he picked her up in a swooping motion, and carried her into the room, dumping her unceremoniously onto the bed.

“God you’re heavy,” he teased as he leaned down to give her a kiss through her laughter.

It was quite a while before they got out for dinner, but when they did, the fancy seafood restaurant they picked did not disappoint. They served Jim’s favorite - soft shelled crab - and yes, she did mention that he could say he got crabs on his wedding night. But he totally got her back after she ordered her entrée.

“Really, Pam? Bluefin? Are you serious?” Only then did she realize what she’d done.

She spent at least twenty minutes of the meal trying to convince Jim that she was telling the truth about Grandma Halpert’s story because he was so convinced she was having him on. When he finally accepted the truth, he commented incredulously, “I cannot believe she told you that. She must really like you.”

“Well, she told me some other stuff, too. Like - you are her favorite grandchild," Pam said proudly.

“Incredible,” he laughed, and then got a little boy grin on his face. “Really?”

When they finally got back to the hotel, they collapsed heavily on the bed, sated, content, and very, very tired.

“Oh God, Pam, I’m so full,” Jim groaned as he lay facing upward on the bed, holding his bulging stomach. To top off their wonderful meal, they had ordered the Triple Fudge Cheesecake for desert. It’s only your wedding night once, after all and they’d worked up an appetite.

“You didn’t have to eat it,” she countered, “I would have finished the whole thing.” She’d developed an intense craving for cheesecake in the last month.

“No, I couldn’t desert you when the going got tough, now could I? What kind of husband does that?” he teased, pleased with his little pun, and he rose to get ready for bed. “We’ve got to sleep now,” he said wearily.

Teeth brushed and faces washed, they snuggled together, getting comfortable, and Jim gave her a little kiss. “Night, Beesly. I love you.”

“I love you, too,” she answered. Jim closed his eyes and she watched in the dim light of the room as his smiling face rapidly relaxed and his breath came slower and more regular. Her husband, she thought. She lay awake, reflecting on the day, when she noticed a fluttering in her stomach unlike anything she’d felt before. She thought at first it was her dinner rearranging, but it was lower, and gentler, like butterflies. Then it dawned on her.

So it was beginning. She wondered if Jim liked the name Daniel. She’d have to ask him tomorrow.

Jim’s breath was even and deep now, and she reached her hand toward him. He barely stirred as she touched his face lightly, feeling the stubble on his cheek and brushing his lips, and she savored the warmth of him beside her. Every minute of every hour of every day, Grandma Halpert had said. How much time would they have together, she wondered.

She pressed a kiss into his tousled hair, and promised to make every minute count.





.







.
Chapter End Notes:
What Are You Doing the Rest of Your LIfe
Bergman/Legrand

What are you doing the rest of your life?
North and south and east and west of your life?
I have only one request of your life
That you spend it all with me.

All the seasons and the times of your days.
All the nickels and the dimes of your days.
Let the reasons and the rhymes of your days.
All begin and end with me.

I want to see your face,
In every kind of light,
In fields of gold and
Forests of the night;
And when you stand before
The candles on a cake.
Oh let me be the one to hear
The silent wish you make.

Those tomorrows waiting deep in your eyes
In the world of love you keep in your eyes,
Ill awaken whats asleep in your eyes,
It may take a kiss or two.
.
Through all of my life..
Summer, winter, spring and fall of my life,
All I ever will recall of my life
Is all of my life with you.

Here's the babs version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQWqmiHK-WE


jazzfan is the author of 16 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life also liked 2661 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans