- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own The Office, any characters, and have no affiliation with NBC. No copyright infringement intended.
I arrived at work early today, but it feels a little different for some reason. I shrugged off the odd feeling, determined not to let it bring me down. It was going to be a slow day for calls today, which meant I would spend the time doodling. Everyone walked in one-by-one, all dreading the work day.

Almost last to arrive was Jim, and I started wondering what kind of prank we were going to pull on Dwight today. Those always made coming to work worth it. We exchanged a smile as he settled down at his desk. Last to come in was Ryan, as usual. I gave him a greeting as he approached my desk. He made a turn, though, and started to come behind my desk. What could he possibly need already?

Before I could even ask, his hands were on my face. Then his lips. Oh my god, Ryan was kissing me!

He pulled away after a second, smiled and said “Morning, baby”

Has he lost his mind?! Roy was going to kill him.

“Um, hi? You mind telling me what that was?”

He looked confused. Then he had a smirk on his face that didn’t look good on him.

“What, I’m not allowed to kiss my fiancée good morning?”

Did he just say fiancée? No, no, my hearing was wrong. I should never listen to my iPod so loud.

“Since when am I your fiancée?”

He chuckled. “You’re so cute, Pammy. We’ve been engaged for weeks, you know that.”

I was mumbling nonsense when he winked and walked off to his desk. I looked around, and everything appeared normal. Everyone was working, nothing out of the ordinary. Had they not seen what just happened?

I rushed down to the warehouse. I had to tell Roy what just happened without him freaking out or wanting to pound Ryan to a pulp. Even if Ryan deserved it.

“Darryl, where’s Roy? I need to talk to him.”

“He’s over there Pam, “and pointed to where Roy was standing.

I walked over to him slowly. “Roy, can I talk to you?
It’s urgent.”

“Uh, sure Pam” he said, looking confused.

“I need you to sit down though, and whatever I say, remain calm.”

“Um, okay?” he said as he found a chair.

“Well, I was at my desk this morning, as usual, saying hi to everyone. Then Ryan came in.. and he kissed me.”

“Am I supposed to be surprised at this or something?” Roy said, not in the least bit angered.

“You’re not angry? Don’t you want to just punch him right now?” What is going on?

“Pam, why would I punch a man for kissing his fiancée?” he said with a straight face. I snapped.

“I’m not his fiancée, I’m yours! Is this some kind of sick joke you and Ryan have going?” No response.

“Because this is not funny!” My eyes started to water.

“We’re not engaged, Pam. Remember? We broke it off after we graduated from high school. Are you feeling okay?”

The room started to spin a little. Everything was black.
***


I heard familiar voices, faint, but there. I slowly opened my eyes, groaning at the bright light.

“Are you okay?” a friendly voice said.

“Jim? Is that you?” I asked, even though I already knew it was him.

“Yeah, Pam, It’s Jim. You passed out in the warehouse,”

“I did? I was having a terrible dream, I was engaged to-“

“Pam! Are you alright? Move Halpert, she’s my fiancée.”

Oh no, this could not be happening. I opened my eyes. I think I’m going to pass out again.

“Calm down, Ryan. She’s fine, I was just checking on her.” Jim said, almost defensively.

“Baby, what happened? Did Roy do something to you? I’ll kill him!”

Jim was standing behind Ryan and I saw him roll his eyes at the thought. I smiled.

“Really, I’m fine, honey?” I can’t believe I just called Ryan honey. I hopped off the table in the break room they had laid me on.

Everyone else was waiting outside the break room doors, anxiously watching to see if I was okay. Once I got up, they all slowly made their way back to their desks.

“Roy didn’t do anything, I just haven’t eaten much today” I lied.

“I’ll go find you something to eat baby, I’ll be right back” Ryan said as he left.

I took the opportunity to talk to the one person who would never lie to me.

“What the hell is going on, Jim?”

“Whoa, Beesly, I don’t think I’ve ever heard your curse.
What are you talking about?”

“I’m not engaged to Ryan, I don’t even like him. I’m engaged to Roy,”

“So you’re marrying someone you don’t even like? I’m confused.”

“I am engaged to Roy. This must be some weird alternate universe or dream.”

“Is this the one where Dwight is normal and Michael is a good boss? I like that one.”

“I’m not joking here, Jim. I wish I was” I said with a serious look on my face. He had to believe me.

He made the face he always makes when he’s thinking really hard about something. I held back a giggle, since this was not the time for it.

“Okay, so let’s say for a second that I believe you. You’re dreaming. Aren’t your dreams supposed to tell you something?”

I thought about it. “Yes, I guess so,”

“Hm. Are you secretly in love with Ryan?” he joked.

“Haha, very funny, Halpert. I don’t think so.”

“Well then, we just have to figure out what this dream is supposed to tell you. But until that time, I would suggest going along with this whole thing, so people don’t think you are crazy. I know I am questioning your mental health just a little bit, Pam.”

“But you believe me?”

“Sure, why not. I never thought you and Ryan made sense together anyways.”

“Oh, thank you so much Jim!” I said as I hugged him. I did not look forward to pretending to be in love with Ryan though.

“Don’t mention it, Beesly. Really, don’t. Everyone will think we are crazy.”

We laughed and made plans to go to a spiritual professional tomorrow night.

Hopefully she will be able to tell me what I have to do to wake up from this crazy nightmare.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans