- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter 4, written by Deedldee. NOW REVISED (as of 1/4/10) ! My chapter is up next! Hope you enjoy, we'd love any feedback if you've got some for us aspiring writers. - pamelamorganhalpert

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 4 – Christmas 2008

“I can’t believe my parents started fighting tonight. At the dinner table. Over how to cook a pork roast! I can’t even believe it. When Penny told me they’d been arguing a lot lately I had no idea it was that bad. I don’t know what’s gotten into them. They never used to be that couple that fought with each other in other people’s houses. I’m sorry. They probably made you feel uncomfortable.” She said, walking over to where Jim stood, placing her arms around his waist.

“Nah, I’m fine. Things happen. My parents fight sometimes. It’s natural.” He rubbed her back lightly and kissed the top of her head.

“I’m just worried about them. They really seemed like they were really angry with each other, and the name calling. Have I told you how incredibly happy I am that that’s not us? What is going on with people this year? My parent’s are at each others throats. Angela’s cheating on Andy. I almost feel guilty being so happy here in our new house!” She almost whined, holding Jim closer.

“Don’t say that, here, come sit.” He untangled himself from her arms and took her hand, leading her to their living room.

“I just don’t get it. What is with everyone messing with my spirit?” She frowned as she spoke, following Jim to the couch.

“I don’t know, but I’m sure everything will work itself out. Come here, let’s go watch some TV, turn on the tree lights and just relax here for a little bit. We’ve got to get you back in the holiday spirit.” He said, as they sat on the couch, he put his arm around her shoulders as he put the TV and began flipping channels with his free hand.

“OK.” She nodded, sinking into Jim’s embrace.

“So, Pam, what is your favorite memory from this past year?” He asked, placing the side of his face on the top of her head.

“You mean aside from sitting here with you? I’d have to say, the day you proposed, no, actually, that night. About ten minutes after you proposed, I decided I wasn’t going to class that night. I went back to the dorm after our lunch, grabbed my overnight bag, and got back to your apartment in record time that night. I’ll never forget the look on your face when you came home from work and saw me standing in the kitchen making dinner. You didn‘t say a word about me skipping class.” She said, smiling at the memory of that night.”


“That was an amazing night. That has to be one of the best nights of my life, not counting our first date.” He grinned, squeezing her shoulder as he remembered his proposal in the rain.

“What’s yours Jim?” She whispered, sounding tired.

“The night you came back from Pratt for good. I think I’ll always remember what you told me that night.” He said, putting down the remote next to him, and adjusting himself so Pam and he were lying together on the couch.

“Oh yeah? What did I say?” She asked coyly, as she faced him and kissed his nose.

“You said thank you for supporting me, giving me the courage to try, thank you for not being upset that I failed. And then you said something that honestly, gets me choked up anytime I think about it.” He said, kissing her lips softly.

“I remember. I told you that I can’t wait to spend every night falling asleep in your arms, and I can’t wait to kiss you awake every morning. I meant it Jim. I can’t wait to do that forever.” She said, blinking back tears and placed her arm around his neck and hugged him.

“That has to be one of my favorite moments of this year. Maybe even of my life.” They sat together for a moment in silence, reflecting on the monumental moments in their life and relationship.

“So, I spoke to my mom before. She keeps asking me if we set a date. By the way, there’s a good chance she’ll ask us again tomorrow.” He said a little later, rolling his eyes for affect.

“So, let‘s set a date then Jim.” She answered, raising her eyebrows as she grinned.

“I was thinking. What are your feelings on a fall wedding? Not too cold, not too hot.” He said, making his deep in thought face.

“Ooh I like that idea! And the fall foliage would be perfect for pictures.” She said, excitement soaking her words.

“We’ll pick a specific date in the morning. What about one weekend in October, but not Halloween. I’m not a big fan of Halloween.” He said, looking at her for approval.

“I couldn’t tell at all, three hole punch. This past Halloween you were Dave, I‘ll have to work some magic on you for this years. Maybe you can be a clown or something.“ She giggled.

“Cute. Anyway, if we do it in the fall that should give us plenty of time to find the perfect reception place and somewhere to go on our honeymoon.” He said, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Oh, I’d love to go honeymoon someplace that’s warm and tropical.” She agreed, placing her hand on his bicep and shaking him a bit in her excitement.

“What about California? I know you’ve wanted to go for years now.” He offered, without a hint of hesitation at the thought.

“As much as I want to see the Pacific Ocean, I definitely don’t want to be site seeing on our honeymoon, if you catch my drift.” She winked as she finished her thought.

“Yeah, I get it. OK warm and tropical. Like Hawaii?” He said, forming circle with his lips.

“Something without a fourteen hour plane ride.” She replied after a few seconds of thought.

“OK how about I’ll call a travel agent next week and see what they can come up with?” He offered.

“And something that doesn’t cost a fortune.” She said, giving him a stern look.

“Yes dear. Need to save money for your ever growing shoe collection.” He said mockingly.

“Hey, a girl can never have too many shoes Jim.” She shook her head in disapproval.

“Noted.” He replied seriously, as he kissed her nose.

“Hey, it’s after midnight. We should go up to bed and get some sleep. You’ll need your energy to deal with Tom and Pete.” She said without moving a muscle.

“Alright. You do realize you have to stop lying on me in order to get upstairs, right?” He chuckled, pointing at her from head to toe for affect.

“Fine. You’re comfy though.” She reluctantly rose from his embrace.

“Thanks Pam.” He said, shutting off the TV, as they made their way to the staircase. He double checked that the front door was locked before they went upstairs.

“You’re welcome.” She said with a smile, walking slowly up the steps, as if she were out of energy.

“Remind me to fix this creaky step next week.” He said, bouncing a little on the offending step.

“You’re such a good handyman. OK. I’ll put it on the list tomorrow.” She said, as she entered the bedroom and began unmaking the bed, placing the throw pillows on the chair in the corner.

“You mean later today. It’s almost twelve thirty.” He noted the time on their alarm clock.

“Hey, then Merry Christmas.” She said, crossing the room to give him a kiss.

“Merry Christmas, shoe lady. Ouch, don’t pinch.” He grabbed at his arm and made a dramatic frown as they got into bed.

“I love you Jim. Goodnight.”

“Love you too. Goodnight.” As he settled into bed, they shared another long kiss, before drifting off to sleep. His last thought before sleep overtook him, was that he couldn’t wait until October.

Jim

Every night for the past year and a half, she says I love you before she falls asleep. She says it first. Every night. I’m so amazed at how lucky I am every single day I’m with her. I already feel like we’re married. We do everything together.

Apple picking day, that was, what a gorgeous day. It was picture perfect weather wise. The orchard was somewhat packed. There were tons of kids around. One little girl dropped an apple on Pam’s foot; Pam just smiled and said something that made the kid laugh. She’s going to be such a good mom, I just know it. We walked around that orchard for a few hours, hand in hand, and just started talking about the future.

And not just upcoming things. We talked about things that are far down the road. Like what kind of parents we want to be. How we would want to raise our kids. Even things like where we want to live when we retire. She thought it was important because her parents never agreed on where they wanted to live when they retired. Which caused more arguments between them.

I’m so glad Pam and I don’t argue. We bicker, we get on each others nerves. But we have never had an all out brawl with words or actions. I would never call her any of the things her father called her mother tonight at dinner. I was horrified at how someone could talk to someone they supposedly loved like that. Of course I played it off as no big deal to Pam. I don’t need her to worry anymore than I’m sure she probably is. I don’t want her to ever worry about anything ever.

I just feel like I’m holding the world in my hands right now, literally. She’s my entire world and I can’t even think about trying to remember what it was like when we weren’t together. All I know is that every night I put my arm around her, kiss her goodnight and she tells me she loves me. That is all I’ll ever need. We could strike it rich, we could lose it all, but as long as I have this right here, just the two of us in our own little bubble, that’s all I’ll ever need.


Pam

It’s nights like tonight, when we just lay on the couch together and talk about ten different things at once, just holding each other and relaxing, I just know whatever we went through to get here was worth it. I wake up every morning more in love with him than I was the day before.

He listens to everything I say with genuine concern, I love that about him. I love that he wants to be the one to call the travel agent about the honeymoon. I love that he wasn’t scared tonight by my parents arguing. I’ve never seen them go at each other like that with so much hostility.

Jim and I are so different from them. I do worry that one day this is all going to disappear somehow. But we are different. We don’t argue. I would never ever say anything deliberately mean to him. I don’t understand how you can be so mean to someone you love. We do bicker, and he’s gotten on my nerves at least once a week since I met him, let alone became engaged to marry him. But I would never call him some of the things my parent’s were calling each other. It was embarrassing for me actually.

I love that he knows how to calm me down. He knows when I need my space to sort it out myself, and when I want him to push and get involved and help me deal. If there is a perfect person, he’s pretty much close to it. He’s going to be an amazing father and husband. I just know it. And I can’t wait to tell him I love him every night before we fall asleep for the rest of our lives.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading, we'd love a review!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans