- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Michael Scott was a lonely, lonely man. Anyone who knows him a little bit can tell you that. Why? Well, there were a few theories floating around... but that was all they can do: make a theory after theory.

Jim Halpert is one of them. The ones with the theories. He always considered his boss a kind of strange human being. Like a child in a suit. He never thought that this man-child could give him a chance to find his own happiness.

Now, was his turn to return the favor. The question was how?.

-"Ok. I have some ideas that we..."

-"Jim, why you don't just...talk to him?"-Pam interrupted his idea's flow.

-"Because there is nothing a can tell to him that..."

-"He thinks that you are his friend..."

-"No, he doesn't"

-"Ok, everyone! can I have your attention, please?"-Michael came out from his office and walks to the middle of the lobby.

Some people turns to see his boss. The rest of the employees remains doing his job like usually.

-"What happened, Michael?"-ask Phyllis smiling shyly.

-"Well..."

-"Did you find a new festivity to celebrate this year?" - Stanley voice keeps his monotonus like always.

-"No, no more parties...Not this year or the next one..." - Michael responds and smiles.

- "What about my birthday? It's right around the corner and..."- Andy asks.

-"Are you listening to me, Andy? Besides, nobody here seems to like having fun so..."

-"Michael, Sir? - Erin's voice interrupts the conversation. She is holding a cellphone and she is covering the speaker with her hand.

-"Who is it?"

-"Eeeh...some lady...She is asking for you."-the girl handed the phone to his boss, who doesn't seems to be interested in anything else but his speech.

-"Damn..."- the boss exclaims.

-"Hello?..."- a smile cross his face when he hears the voice on the other side of the line.-"Hey, how are you, girl?...This is a terrible moment... yeah, I know... When did you became a comedian, eh?..."

Jim smiles to his wife and she smiles him back. They both know who is "the girl" with who Michael was talking to.

-"...bye"- Mike Scott handed back the cellphone to the recepcionist.-"Thank you"

Then, he walks to his office and closes the door.

-"What the hell?"

They could see Michael sitting behind his desk, reading some papers....like if nothing happened.

-"That man is crazy. I tell you...one of this days..."- said Stanley, nodding.

-"What about my birthday?"-insisted Andy.



The day passed slowly. Jim shut down his pc and looked around his tiny office. He is co-manager of Dunder Mifflin Scranton Branch. A position totally powerless for now. Michael still has the last word in every discussion. So he is just a puppet for Coporate. He was tired...Tired of being trapped in this town, in this office...his only consolation was Pam. And their baby born.

He closed the door with his key. The key of his office. His tiny office.

The rest of the building seems to be empty. The only person who still remains there is his boss.
He walked to the kitchen area. Pam was there eating icecream.

-"Hey! I was waiting for you!"-she said and offered him a full spoon of chocolate icecream.

-"No thanks. Can we go home?"-Jim kissed her, softly on the lips.

-"Is everything alright, honey?"

-"Yeah, I just tired...You know..."

-"Lets go, then!"-she put the icecream into the fridge again.

Michael reads the letter one more time. He needs to be clear on this. He cannot make any stupid mistake. Not anymore. He is alone. Tomorrow will be another sunny day, but he will not be there to see it.

-"Goodnight, Mike!"- a male voice breaks his concentration and his first impulse is hide his papers, but he remains calm. His green eyes reflects his concern but nobody says a thing. What's new about that,eh?

-"Mike...You never call me that way..."- he says softly.

-"Well, there is a simple explanation for that issue, you know?"

-"Ok..."

-"Really, man...What is going on with you?"- Jim sits in from of Michael's desk and Pam does the same.

-"Nothing, everything is fine...Normal...you know?" -was the answer.

-"You know you can talk to us...anytime..."-Pam said smiling. She could see that something was terribly wrong, not just with Michael, but also with Jim.

-"Ok" - same answer, same look. ""He is sad"".

-"Ok? Just that?"-almost scream Jim. He feels like he was trapped in a bad movie.

-"Is late, go home guys...Tomorrow we can talk about my lack of words and about what did you want me to say..."

A loud noise makes them jump from their chairs.

-"What the hell?..."

Somebody was there...outside Michael's office...in the shadows...


RolandDeschain is the author of 0 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans