- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Jim and Pam are ready.
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just a little pre-episode something.  Jim, Pam talking about a baby soon to be born.

Like...tonight!  YAY! 

 

Enjoy!

xoxoxo

Chapter title c/o The Dixie Chicks

Which I just realized you can only see if there's more than one chapter.  LOL!

Disclaimer:  Not mine - all NBC's and stuff.

 

The nights are the hardest.  During the day there's enough to keep them both busy.  Just sitting in such close proximity to Dwight could entertain one for hours on end.

But once they are home, after dinner is done and the dishes are put away, after settling on the couch to watch a bit of TV, there's still the whole night to get through. 

Pam doesn't sleep much anymore, even though Jim knows she desperately needs it.  He hears the sheets rustling and waits for her to settle down again.   She heaves a sigh and it's then he turns towards her. 

The light from the bathroom, the one she insists on keeping on all night despite his protests, washes over her features.  Her eyes are closed but he knows she isn't sleeping.  Jim reaches up and brushes a stray curl from her face. 

"We're ready," he says, his voice soft.

She smiles before her eyes flutter open.  "I know."

"We totally are.  I'm telling you.  We're all set."

Pam shifts a bit and slowly blows out a breath. "I know."

"You don't sound convinced."

"No.  I...I am.  We've got everything we need."

"We do."

Pam chuckles and attempts to turn to face him.  Without a word he tugs at her hand until she rolls over on her side.  Her eyes sparkle as they meet his.  "Except diapers.  We should probably get a few more packs of those.  I know you've been wasting them practicing."

"Training Pam.  Not practicing.  Professionals train and I'm definitely a pro."

"Yes." She nods.  "Yes I know you are."

"Seriously.  Next Olympics?   Gold medal in diapering - right here."

"I promise."  She reaches up and pats his cheek.  "When it becomes a sport we'll get you a coach."

"Awesome."  He catches her hand in his and gives it a squeeze, noticing the look of worry on her face.  At least it seems like worry.  These days he's never quite sure.  His own brow furrows.  

"Hey.  You okay?"

Pam winces a little as she rubs her left side gently.  "Mmm hmmm."

Every time she does that these days Jim's eyes go wide.  Tonight is no exception.   "Pam.  Seriously.  Is it..?  Do you need...?"  He finds he can't quite finish the sentence.

And from the look on her face he knows she knows exactly what he's thinking.  He's been on pins and needles for weeks now.

"No.  No."  She rushes to reassure him.  "I'm fine."

"What?  Baby kicking?"

"No.  It's more like stretching now but that's not it.  I just can't get comfortable anymore.   I'm like the size of a continent."

His voice still shakes a bit as he teases.  "Nah.  No way.  More like a state.  A really small one.  Like...maybe Delaware."

Pam sighs and glares at him.  "You're not helping."

His eyes go soft as he whispers.  "You're so pretty."  

"Uh uh.  Too late."  She winces and shifts again.  "Oooo."

"You sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine.  Really."  Pam closes her eyes again and takes a deep breath.

Jim stares over at her; still unconvinced she's telling him the truth.  "Okay..."

He continues to watch her as silence falls between them.  A breeze wafts through the room and Jim pulls the covers closer around him.  Pam wants the bedroom window open lately, even though it's February. 

He closes his eyes and tries to fall asleep himself when he hears her speak again.

"Jim?"

"Yep?"  He replies his eyes still closed.

"Do you hear that?"

Jim turns towards her again.  "Hear what?"

"It's so quiet."

He smiles.  "Well yeah...it's late..."

"No.  I mean...quiet.  Isn't it weird? Pretty soon it won't ever be this quiet again.  Not for a long, long time."  Pam shakes her head, her voice trembling a bit.

Jim laughs back at her.  "How loud do you think this baby's gonna be?"

"I think you'll be surprised.  I just meant that soon it's not going to just be the two of us anymore.  Don't you think that's strange?"

"I do."   Watching her closely, he tries again.  "So wait.  Like how soon?"

Pam sighs heavily.  "Jim.  Sweetie.  Seriously.  When it's time - you'll know.   I promise you."

"Okay."  He nods back at her.

"It's really not time yet."

"Hey.  I just want to state for the record.  This is not me being overly anxious.  Your due date's tomorrow."

"Yeah, I hate to break it to you.   The baby might not respect the deadline."

"Unacceptable."

"You know what the books say.  Babies are unpredictable.  Especially first ones."

"Maybe our baby will be different."

"Maybe..."  With great effort Pam turns to face him again.  "I'm a whale."

"Not a whale, really.  More like a..."

She slaps his arm before he can continue.  "Shut up."

He kisses her softly as he whispers.  "You're so pretty."

She touches her lips to his quickly before she turns her head away from him, rolling her eyes.  "That didn't work last time.  I don't know why you keep saying it."

"It's true.  You really are."

"Seriously."  The tone of her voice gives warning.  "Stop it."

Knowing her well, Jim switches tactics.  He shifts and presses a kiss just above her belly button. "I cannot wait to meet this kid."

She tries to suppress a smile as she runs a hand through his hair.  "I got that.  I'm also aware that you'd like it to be tomorrow."

He lifts his head to meet her eyes.  "Punctuality has its merits, Pam."

"Agreed.   It's just - don't you think it's gonna be weird?  I've been pregnant so long - I'm not sure how to...not...be.  You know?"

"I know.  It seems like we've been waiting forever..."

"Exactly."  She shifts again, moaning a bit.  "It'd be great if I could just wake up and the baby would be here."

"They used to do that.  When Pete was born they knocked her out and my mom says she woke up and had to ask the doctor what she had."

"Hmmm.   Maybe he's not really your brother.  Maybe he was switched at birth."

"Maybe."

"That would explain a lot actually."

"It would.  Except Tom.  The two of them are too alike not to be related."

"True.  And I guess it's too much to think it happened twice. "

"Maybe I'm the one who was switched."

"Could be."  She laughs softly.  "Well all I know is our kid is not going to be a bully.  They'll play nice with their brother or sister."

"Are we seriously already talking about the next one?"

"Not seriously.  Hypothetically."  Pam tries to sit up and fails.  She falls back down and huffs out a breath.  "We'll negotiate later.  Just let me get through this one first."

Feeling helpless Jim twines his fingers in hers and gives a gentle squeeze.  He lays his other hand over her belly and rubs a small slow circle. "You're gonna be great. 

She bites back a bitter chuckle even as her hand covers his.    "I'm glad you think so."

"You are.  You'll be amazing. "

She exhales slowly.  "I really, really hope so."

His hand slides off her stomach as she rolls onto her back.   It's suddenly quiet again and soon the only sound he hears is her breathing, slow and even.   Just as he's about to attempt sleep himself he hears her voice whispering softly and hopefully in the dark. 

"We're ready.  Right?" 

Jim takes a deep steadying breath as he replies.  "Yeah we are.  Definitely."



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked ...as we'll ever be also liked 2613 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans