- Text Size +
Story Notes:
So, I took a little hiatus (read: 10 months.. whoops!) and suddenly, this kind of smacked me in the face wanting to be written. So, um... be nice and enjoy! :)
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
You never thought about eyelashes or fingernails. Or, well, toenails for that matter. You never thought about staring at tiny wisps of hair, each strand a different shade of red or gold. You never really imagined delicate fingers, rosy cheeked porcelain skin, or ears. How do ears grow anyway? You never imagine dimpled knees, smooth skin over a rounded tummy, eyes the color of... well, who knows. You're pretty sure nothing has ever been as blue as those eyes.

You've read all the books and watched all the shows (even the ones that showed the actual delivery, much to your wife's chagrin). You helped wash and fold the onesies that sit in the baskets below her changing table, you've fingered the soft tiny t-shirts and dresses that hang in her closet on even tinier hangers. You've smoothed your palm over the green striped sheets on her crib mattress, you've spun the tiny mobile, you've arranged - and subsequently rearranged - the teddy and bunny protecting the far left corner of the crib.

You took advice from your parents - you ignored advice from your brothers. You bought your wife as much oreo double chocolate chip ice cream as she could handle (at one point, you were seriously worried that if she ate one more bite, she might legitimately explode). You rubbed her feet and let her scream at you in the delivery room. You kept the curses documented, because, well, ya know, she's going to deny soon they were ever uttered from her sweet little mouth, but they were.

You thought you were ready to be a daddy.

But what you never took into consideration was how pink lips are. Like she'd just bitten into a juicy strawberry (despite the fact that she, ya know, has no teeth yet to bite into anything). Or how she smelled... No, not the real mixture of milk and baby powder and that no-tears baby shampoo (which obviously lies because your kid screamed like crazy when they poured that stuff over her) but how she really smells. The scent of her when she's lying between you and Pam in your bed, curled up in a ball of yellow onesie, hair already curling behind her ears.

You didn't take into consideration how her features were going to be so... wow. Just... perfect. Her little nose, upturned just a little like her Mama's. Her smile (the doctor's say it's gas, but... well, you're her Daddy - it'd be almost illegal for her not to shoot you a smile now and then, right?) Her toes... all 14 of them (Pam rolls her eyes at that joke now... It's not funny anymore) they're just... so adorable. Little baby toes. Who knew? Then there's her chin. You're 100% convinced that her chin is the cutest little chin on the planet.

And her noises... wow. For a while all she did was cry. Sometimes she'd make a hiccuping noise when you were burping her. But her sounds now... Laying in her crib, pink fleece covering her tiny baby back, the sound of her breathing softly... Sometimes it takes your breath away. Watching her chest rise and fall and knowing that she's healthy (kid's growing like a weed already)and happy (she's gotta be, right? Not like she has to deal with Michael or Dwight all day) it's really just amazing to you. That you and Pam, you made this. This perfect, unique, special little girl that is yours and yours alone. Well, and Pam's.

This is your family. Your wife and your daughter. Your little girl. One day, you're going to be cleaning a shotgun when she brings a boy home (obviously you'll borrow that from Dwight). And someday, a long, long, LONG time from now, you'll walk her down the aisle at her wedding and you'll dance with her to some slow, special song, because she'll always be your baby. And she'll roll her eyes because you're just dad but the bond you two have? That's the kind of bond that can't be broken.

She has you wrapped around her tiny baby finger (with tiny little unpainted nails, much to Kelly's disgust).

But to you? There's nothing more you'd rather be wrapped around.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!! Reviews are appreciated ;)


stjoespirit04 is the author of 25 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked Wrapped Around Her Finger also liked 1380 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans