- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is a little something for dear NanReg, who has left lovely reviews for me and many others here. 
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

It was a good day.

Of course it didn't start out that way.  It was Michael's birthday.  A day that I dread every year.  His constant need to be the center of attention is a daily annoyance, but on his birthday the egotistical behavior always reaches new heights.  This year did not disappoint.

There was also the worry of Kevin.  He is usually so mellow and to see him grimace with worry, waiting for test results, broke my heart.  So as Michael was hoisted into the ceiling to celebrate his birth moment, I thought about shifting the spotlight to Kevin and planning an escape from the birthday bedlam.

I feel like we should go get Kevin something.

Before I knew it, I was sitting in the front seat of Jim's Corolla, trying to figure out what to do with my hands as he drove us towards Rite Aid.  I had been in his car a couple of times before, but escaping with him in the middle of a work day thrilled and terrified me all at once.  He talked the whole way there, asking me to excuse the mess and calling his car a "bachelor pad on wheels".  I listened to him with one ear while trying to quiet the little voices in my head...

You're engaged.

His knee is almost touching me.

It smells so good in here.

Take your eyes off his knee...look out the window.

Luckily it was a short drive and we were soon walking through the automatic doors.  He grabbed a cart and we headed to the card section first.  Just as a side note, it really is surprising how many horrible cards that get made.  I mean who would actually buy a card that read: "You say you're feeling happy and pert, but I know you're really older than dirt!"  Ugh.  But I digress.

As Jim and I meandered on our mission through Rite Aid I quickly noticed how narrow the isles were.  I know this because every other step I took brushed the sleeve of my blouse against his creme-colored work shirt.

Swoosh...swoosh...swoosh.

It almost became hypnotic.  The repetitive contact of our clothing made my mind slip into a daydream.  I pictured Jim and I spending a lazy Saturday shopping together.  Taking turns filling the cart with the bits and pieces of our life.  Me leaning my head on his shoulder as we waited in the checkout line...

"Beesly, do you have a dollar?  I'm one short."

His voice shook me out of my reverie and my cheeks blushed with guilt.  I reached into my purse, retrieved a dollar and placed it in his hand.  A small smile crossed my lips as my fingertips grazed the palm of his hand.

The rest of the day continued to be a curious mix of absurd and wonderful events.  Watching Michael try to support Kevin while continuing to pump up his birthday was kind of sickening, but it did lead us to the ice rink.  It was a good idea to take Kevin's mind off of things, but it was also a way for Michael to show off.  It really was a relief when Kevin got the news that his test results were negative.

Round and round and round we went on that frozen oval.  I guess people were having a good time, but I didn't really notice.  Jim was by my side and that moment was all that mattered.  I didn't think about my ignorant fiance or my meaningless job or how I may never have someone in my life that makes me feel like Jim does.  I centered on the moment.  His large hand in mine as I tried to balance, his smile, his knee accidentally brushing against mine under the table as Kevin and Michael opened gifts.  For a brief time I lived as we.

Michael's birthday was actually pretty cool.  It was a good day.  I don't know...it was a good day.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you have a wonderful day, Nan!



Beeswax is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked It Was a Good Day also liked 151 other stories.
This story is part of the series, let?s celebrate birthday month in style today.. The previous story in the series is The Big 3-0. The next story in the series is Happy, happy birthday, baby .

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans