- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I give Schrute bucks to pamelamorganhalpert, Deedldee, and Morning Angel for helping me with the story. All of you are awesome!!
Jim heard the baby fussing softly on the monitor and looked over to the clock; it was 6:30 a.m. on Sunday morning. Not only it was Sunday, it was Pam’s first Mother’s day. Jim couldn’t wait to celebrate this day with his family.

"You stay in bed," he stretched quickly and got out of bed. "I’ll get her."

"M’kay," Pam mumbled and then fell back to sleep.

"Hello pretty girl," He spoke softly as he walked to Cecelia’s crib. She looked up at her father with her blue-green eyes and cooed back at Jim.

She had just turned 2 months the previous week. He couldn't believe that it was only 2 months ago. He remembered when she came into the world. She was a small human being that they both made, full of blood, slimy and crying loudly as Dr. Asmani held her under the bright light. Now, she was getting to look more like Pam every day. Except, she had his dark hair and ears. "Ready for the big day?"

He picked her up and headed downstairs to the kitchen. "Are you hungry?" He looked down to Cecelia who was starting to fuss. He opened the refrigerator and took out one of the bottles that sat on the shelf.

"I know, you're hungry," Jim said as he set the bottle in the bottle warmer. "It'll be done soon." He rocked and rubbed her small back to calm her crying. When it was done, he tested it to make sure it wasn’t too hot for her and tried to give her the bottle, but she wouldn’t drink. The milk oozed down the side of her small mouth, "You don't want it?" He wiped her mouth with a small cloth. "Let's see if we can wake Mommy up for you."

He walked back upstairs to their bedroom, seeing Pam sitting up straight, putting on her black rimmed glasses.

"Hey," Jim smiled.

"Hi," Pam said, grinning back at them.

"Cece wants you," Jim sat next to Pam and gently handed her the baby.

"Hi baby girl," Pam said softly.

"She didn't want the bottle," Jim said. "She prefers Mommy."

Pam unbuttoned her nightshirt, Cecelia immediately rooting towards her breast.

"There you go," Pam smiled as Cecelia latched on.

Jim sat next to them, watching the scene with mother and daughter. The image before him of his two girls was a highlight on this special day. Cecelia resting her little pudgy hand next to Pam's heart as they gazed at each other. It was beautiful in its simplicity, the two of them bonding.

"Are you okay?" Jim asked.

"Hmm-hmm," Pam nodded.

"I'll be right back," Jim kissed her forehead.

"Okay," Pam nodded.

Jim headed downstairs to the kitchen make chocolate chip pancakes for Pam. He used to make them for her every weekend before they got married and before she had the baby. After the pancakes were done, he set everything on a tray, including her favorite flowers, lilies, in a little vase by her orange juice.

"Jim, you are so sweet," Pam smiled. “You didn’t have to.”

"I wanted to." He smiled back as he set the tray beside her. "I'll take her so you can eat."

"Chocolate Chip pancakes!" Pam exclaimed. "I haven't had these in such a long time!"

"Well, I wanted to make your favorite breakfast on your day," Jim said as he patted and rubbed Cece's back to make her burp.

"You're awesome," Pam said as she set the tray in front of her. "Mmmm!"

Jim chuckled, "Good, huh?"

"Delicious," Pam sighed of happiness. "You make such good pancakes."

"Thanks," Jim smiled. "It's my mother's recipe."

"I need to thank her for this recipe," Pam sipped her orange juice. "They’re so good."

"Oh!" Jim looked over and saw Pam's present, "Before I forget--" Jim shifted Cecelia and rose from the bed. "We have something for you," Jim went over to the chair to grab Pam's present.

"Yeah?" Pam lifted her eyebrows in question and set the tray on the nightstand.

"Here, this is from Cece and me," Jim handed her a box that was wrapped in pink paper with a yellow bow.

"Okay," Pam gave a chuckle as she stuck out her tongue between her teeth. "I wonder what it is." She took the wrapping off and gasped, looking up at Jim. "How did you know?"

"I remembered you talking about this painting at the gallery when we were in New York after we got engaged, and how John Jasper is one of your favorite artists." Jim said as he sat down on the bed, still holding Cecelia in his arms.

"But -- that was so long ago," Pam looked over to him. "How did you remember?"

"Well, yesterday while you were with Penny, Cece and I did some shopping in downtown Scranton. I saw that painting in the window at Marquis and Art frame," Jim continued. "That's when I knew that I had to get it for you."

"It’s so expensive though, Jim. You shouldn’t have.” Pam said.

"Don’t worry, we’re good. I saved for it." Jim said.

"Wow. This is so amazing. Thank you." Pam bit her lip and tried to hold back her tears.

"Happy Mother's Day," Jim smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too," Pam kissed him and then took Cecelia from Jim. "Thank you, baby," She kissed her head. "I love it."

They both laid in bed, talking and gazing at Cecelia who was on lying on Pam's chest. Cecelia held her head up to look at her parents. She just reached that milestone several days ago:

It was Wednesday night, Jim was taking a shower and Pam was on the sofa with Cecelia on her chest with few colorful baby toys beside her.

"Do you want this?" She went to reach for a rattle for her and when she looked back to Cecelia, her little head perked up to look at Pam.

"Oh my god," Pam gasped. "Did you just hold up your head?"

Cecelia looked at her surroundings for a moment before putting her head back down.

"Jim!" Pam yelled and suddenly heard Jim's running footsteps from the stairwell.

"What is it?" Jim walked in without a shirt on, just his Scranton sweatpants. “What happened?"

"Watch," Pam picked up the toy again. "Hi Cece. Come on. You can do it," She said.

At her mother's encouragement, Cecelia smiled and held her head up again.

"Oh my god," Jim smiled brightly. "She held her head up!"

"I know," Pam smiled as she brought the baby into her arms before standing up next to Jim. "First, she smiles, and now she can hold up her little head."

"That's my girl," Jim caressed the top of the baby’s head.


Jim kissed Pam’s forehead, breaking her out of her thoughts, his arm draped around her shoulder as they both enjoyed the silence for a few minutes.

"So what do you want to do today?" Jim asked.

"How about we all go for a walk?" Pam suggested.

Good idea," Jim nodded. "I'll get Cece dressed while you get ready?"

"Sounds great," Pam nodded. "Thank you, again, for the gift."

"You’re welcome," Jim smiled. "Come on Cece," Jim lifted the baby in the air and walked down the hall to the nursery.

Pam noticed a yellow envelope with her name on the front lying on the bed. Picking it up, she opened the envelope and took the card out, and began to read Jim's words:

Happy Mother’s Day, Pam,

I remember a day, a few years ago when everyone brought their kids into the office. You told me that you were “terrible with children, no matter what age and your own kids would probably end up hating you,” I think was what you said. I remember telling you that I thought you were out of your mind, that you’d be such a great mom, and that there was no way any child of yours would ever hate you.

I hope that it’s okay to brag a little here, because I was right. Watching you with our daughter the past two months has been the most amazing experience of my life. The way you look at her, the way you are with her, how your eyes light up when you look at her. I’ve never seen anything like it. I feel like the luckiest person alive that I get to be the one you’re doing this parenthood thing with. You are so great with her.

I'm proud to be your husband and a dad to this beautiful girl that we have. I can't wait to watch her grow with you. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day. I love you. We both do.

Love,
Jim & Cecelia


Pam sniffled and wiped her tears as she closed the card. She went downstairs to look for Jim. She heard him singing from the living room. She peeked in and saw Cecelia on his shoulder with her pacifier in her mouth. Pam walked in and wrapped her arms around him.

"Hi," Jim looked at her.

"Hey," Pam smiled back.

"Are you okay?" He saw her face that had been slightly red from crying.

"Oh yeah," Pam waved her hand, "I'm just really happy"

"Good," He wrapped his one arm around her and kissed her forehead. "Ready?" Jim asked.

"Yeah," Pam nodded.

"Okay Cece," Jim said. "It's time for a walk," He sat her in the carrier.

"How is it outside?" Pam put a pink blanket onto top of the baby and tucked it all around her body.

"Not bad," Jim said as he opened the door for her. "It's pretty nice."

"Okay," Pam brought the baby carrier out and set it on the stroller.


After they walked down the pathway of the Nay Aug Park, they decided to sit on a bench.

"This is nice. So, what’dya think? Good day?" Jim looked over to Pam.

"Yeah, definitely a great first Mother's day," Pam smiled. "Spending the day with you and Cece, the gift, breakfast in bed, the card, it’s all so great.” She looked at Cecelia who was sound asleep in her stroller. “I couldn’t ask for any more. It’s just perfect.” She looked back at Jim, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he said, kissing her sweetly. “Ready to go back home?”

“Yes,” Pam nodded and held Jim’s hand as they walked back home.


adampascalfan12 is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Mother's Day also liked 1333 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans