- Text Size +
 
 
.
 
 
 
A/N – From the challenges thread, based on a quote from Double Date: Michael – Do you wrestle with each other?  Jim – All the time. Suggested by Italian_Food.  
 
Set sometime between Season’s 3 & 4.
 
 
DISCLAIMER – I don’t own anything. Just passing the time on a boring work day with this.
 
 
Safety Mittens
 
 
 
She’d seen every cooking show, watched every chef on Food Network create masterpieces, with a little of this and a lot of that, yet she stood in front of her kitchen counter and stared at the box of lasagna noodles, squinting at the instructions as if they were written in a foreign language. It wasn’t like she had never cooked a meal before. She just had never made one for Jim. A bowl of cereal and some toast this morning did not equate to the same thing in her mind.  
 
She wanted to make a good impression, show him that she could be everything he had hoped she would be. They had only been dating for six days.  A wonderful six days of getting reacquainted with one another and reconnecting over lunch and dinner dates.  He stayed over last night for the first time, insisting he would take the sofa after falling asleep during a movie and waking up in the wee hours of the morning, leaving her to stare at her bedroom ceiling for the rest of the night wondering what it would be like to have him in her bed, to feel him next to her in the morning, to make love to him for the first time.
 
With a small shake of her head she tried to shoo away those sultry thoughts and try to refocus her attention toward the backside of the box of Ronzoni she held in her hand.
 
“Need help?” his voice sounded from the small entryway that led to the living room, making her jump, the box falling to the floor.
 
She let out a sigh and bent to pick up the box. “Nah, I’m good. How’s baseball?”
 
“Eh,” he shrugged. “The Phillies suck.  What’s going on in here? Smells good.”
 
“Just trying to figure out what I’m supposed to do with this,” she said, shaking the box. “I probably just broke all of the noodles too.”
 
“Such a clumsy girl you are,” he said, stepping toward her. “Ruining dinner.”
 
The smile he wore on his face was all teeth, squinting eyes and said he was the happiest person alive. Even if he did have bed head, she mused to herself. He held out his hand to take the box and she pulled it away, shaking her head.
 
“Let me see if I can help you figure this out. It can’t be that hard.”
 
She smiled, tugging the box further away from him, she said, “No, I’ve got this, you go watch those poor defenseless Phillies.”
 
“I don’t care about baseball,” he shrugged, trying to reach for the box, laughing when she held it over her head. “You realize I’m about a foot taller than you.”
 
“I want to cook you dinner, stop trying to butt in.”
 
“Oh, is that how it is,” he said, his eyebrows rose as he inched closer to her. “You make commands and I’m supposed to obey them?”
 
“Yes,” she said, her heart speeding up at his nearness, the smile on her face unwavering. “Go.”
 
He shook his head, laughing as he reached easily for the box and lifted it above her head. She stared up at him with her mouth hanging open. “What’re you gonna do now, little one?” he asked with a proud grin.
 
“You did not just do that,” she balked, closing the distance between them, she wrapped her arms around his waist and squeezed him in a tight hug.
 
“You’re trying to hug me to death?”
 
“Yep. It’s a wrestling move.”
 
“That’s not what you’re doing,” he said, tilting his head to the side, one arm falling to the side of her neck.
 
“Give me the box back, please?” she said coyly, blinking her eyes rapidly.
 
He kissed her forehead, the sensation of it making her heart skip a beat. “No,” he said, walking toward the living room.
 
“Give me it,” she said, her voice rose an octave as she followed him the quick distance to the couch.  
 
He walked backwards, the box dangling from his hand, and she charged forward, bumping into him harder than she thought she would have, causing him to tumble on top of the sofa. She stood over him, her eyes wide in panic. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry, you’re okay, right? Open your eyes,” she poked him.  “Jim, come on, I’m sorry. I’m so so-,” she yelped, his arms grabbing her waist in an instant, he pulled her down on top of him. “Hey,” she laughed, slapping his arm. “You scared me.”
 
“You just body slammed me and you want me to say I’m sorry I scared you, don’t you.”
 
She nodded, trying to catch her breath. “Yes, it’s seems like the polite thing for you to do.”
 
“Nuh-uh,” he said, his eyes searching her face as her chin rested atop his chest. He moved a piece of her hair from her eyes and smiled. “We’re going to have to work on your wrestling skills.”
 
“Actually, I think I won this round, so,” she said, her hands moving up his arms, she lifted herself so her face was aligned with his.
 
“You think so, huh?”
 
“Yeah,” she whispered, the tip of her nose brushing against his. “I’ve got you exactly where I want you.”
 
“Do you now,” he mused.
 
She nodded slowly, her eyes closing as her lips brushed against his lightly. The box made a thud on the carpeted floor as his hands drifted over her back and into her hair, his lips capturing hers. She pulled back and grinned down at him, loving the pinkness of his cheeks. “Exactly where I want you,” she whispered.
 
He licked his lips and stared at her, his fingers drawing circles on her shoulder blade. “Such a violent girlfriend I have,” he whispered, the words sounding so natural to her, it took her a second to realize it was the first time he’d referred to her as such.
 
“Poor baby,” she said softly. “I could check you for injuries.” Her hand drifted along his side, her thumb rubbing the sliver of skin she felt above his jeans.  “Does it hurt here?” she asked, her arm snaking underneath his back.
 
His eyes closed and his Adam’s apple sliced through his throat. She lifted herself to her knees, her hands slowly lifting the front of his shirt, finding his skin warm under her hands as she rubbed, his hands holding her forearms. His eyes found hers and he sat up slowly, his hands cupping her cheeks as he looked deeply into her eyes. He kissed the bridge of her nose and placed a chaste kiss to her lips before resting his forehead against hers.
 
She wrapped her arms around his neck, her fingers playing with the ends of his hair. The sound of his breathing drowned out the television.
 
“Pam,” he said above a whisper.
 
“Hmm,” she hummed, nodded and kissed the tip of his nose.
 
He cleared his throat, pulled his head back and smiled at her. “I think we’re going to need a new box of lasagna.”
 
She laughed, squeezing his shoulder. “Probably,” she said, trying to tell herself that maybe it was too soon for him to say what she really wanted to hear.
 
“Also, um,” he said, his finger lifting her chin. “I love you, even if you just tried to take me out.”
 
She grinned, her eyes roaming his face. “I love you, too.”
 
“God, I love you so much,” he breathed out.
 
She nodded, smiled and hugged him tight as she laid down again, his arms wrapped around her. “I’ve wanted to tell you that since,” she paused. “Since a long time ago.”
 
He smiled, his lips lingering on the top of her head as she listened to the strong sound of his heart beating.
 
“I should get back to cooking,” she said, making no motion to get up.
 
“Yeah, maybe you should,” he said seriously. “I expect dinner on the table in less than two hours, woman.”
 
Her head shot up and she narrowed her eyes. “You’re lucky I love you, or you’d be in peril right now.”
 
“I’m so scared.”
 
“You should be,” she said, moving herself off of him, she stood next to the couch and picked up the box of lasagna, walking away toward the kitchen, she turned her head around in time to see him hurrying toward her. “Jim,” she shrieked as he lifted her in the air, one arm under her knees the other supporting her back. He walked her over to the kitchen counter where she placed the box, and then walked her toward her bedroom, kissing her passionately at the threshold.
 
“I’m terrified,” he said, placing her gently on her bed.
 
“Not something a girl wants to hear in her bedroom.”
 
He laughed as he lay down next to her, taking her hand in his, kissing the inside of her wrist. He rested his head next to hers, kissed her cheek and wove his fingers through her hair, pressing his nose against her temple. She took his hand in hers, kissed his fingertips and sighed. Her arms wound around his neck, her lips touching his, lightly at first, teasing kisses that made him groan. She pushed him, kissing him with more force, sprawling her body on top of his, making him groan again as his hands moved over her back. She pulled back and smiled. “Totally body slammed you again.”
 
“You need more practice at this wrestling thing,” he said before he captured her lips once again, flipping them so he hovered over her.
 
She nodded, her response lost in a sigh as he trailed kisses along her neck.
 
.


Deedldee is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Safety Mittens also liked 2554 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans