- Text Size +
Story Notes:
A crossover - for those who enjoy The Office and Jane Austen's Persuasion in equal measures.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

***

Sir Michael Scott, of Dunder Mifflin Hall, in Scrantonshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but his favourite thriller, Threat Level Midnight; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused in admiration and respect, by contemplating the suave sophistication of Michael Scarn, Duke of Nashua; the elegance of Lady Catherine Zeta Jones, Duchess of Nashua, and all the glorious accoutrements that made up their life of refinement.

On occasion, however, Threat Level Midnight was out on loan to his son, Dwight, and in these moments he found it necessary to take up his second favourite tome, the Baronetage. Here he could read his own history with an interest that never failed, and there was one page in particular that he always came back to:

SCOTT OF DUNDER MIFFLIN HALL

“Michael Scott, born March 1, 1760, married, July 15, 1784, Holly, daughter of James Flax, Esq. of Nashua, in the county of Nashua-shire, by which lady (who died 1800) he has issue three children: Dwight Schrute Scott, born June 1, 1785, Pam Beesly Scott, born August 9, 1787, Kelly Kapoor Scott, born November 20, 1791.”

Sir Michael had improved the paragraph by adding, for the information of himself and his family, these words, after the date of Kelly’s birth -- “Married, December 16, 1810, to Ryan Howard Martinez-Malone, son and heir of Oscar and Kevin Martinez-Malone, Esquires, of Uppercross, in the county of Scrantonshire, Pennsylvania”.

Then followed the history and rise of the ancient and respectable family of Scott, concluding with the arms and motto: “Principal seat, Dunder Mifflin Hall, in the county of Scrantonshire, Pennsylvania,” and Sir Michael’s handwriting again in this finale: --

“Heir presumptive, Roy Anderson Scott, Esq., great grandson of the second Sir Michael.”

Vanity was the beginning and end of Sir Michael Scott’s character; vanity of person and of situation. He had been remarkably handsome in his youth; and, at forty-something, was still not bad. Add a fur coat and a dash of Knight Swept, and he positively glowed...at least according to Sir Michael.

His late wife, Lady Holly, had been an excellent woman, sensible and amiable, with a wonderful sense of humour and a particularly good grasp of ethics. Her judgement and conduct, if they might be pardoned the youthful infatuation which made her Lady Holly Scott, had given her the means to humour, soften and conceal Sir Michael’s nonsense for seventeen years, until her untimely death. Three young children was a pretty tough legacy to leave to the authority and guidance of a conceited, juvenile father such as Sir Michael. Lady Holly had, however, one very intimate friend, a sensible, God-fearing woman who had settled close by in the village of Dunder Mifflin. When Lady Holly passed away, Lady Angela became the best source of guidance and instruction for the three Scott children.

A diminutive but imposing woman, Lady Angela had little time for Sir Michael’s infantile antics. She did, however, take an interest in instructing the three Scott children in correct conduct and manners, and had from the beginning taken a particular interest in the middle child, Pam, in whom she saw some potential, could she be guided towards chastity and honour.

Though oftentimes strict and puritan in her advice, Lady Angela was the best source of guidance for the young Pam, who, despite excellent personal qualities, was often overlooked by her father. Sir Michael most definitely favoured his oldest son, Dwight, and though Dwight could not be his heir due to an obscure law that no one really understood, Sir Michael was constantly flattered by his son’s constant attention to his needs, and appreciated his willingness to engage in outlandish schemes with him. His two other children he considered of inferior value. Kelly had gained some importance by becoming Mrs Ryan Howard Martinez-Malone; but Pam, with her gentle quietness and understanding, which would have been appreciated by anyone of good character, was nobody with either Sir Michael or Dwight. Her word had no weight, her convenience was always to give way to their silly capers. She was just Pam, or Pam-a-lam-a-ding-dong.

A few years before, Pam Beesly Scott has been a very pretty girl, but her bloom had vanished early, and she had taken to wearing dowdy, mousy gowns. Sir Michael didn’t think she would ever marry now, and put all his hopes in finding a suitable match for Dwight. Only the very best match would do, and Sir Michael expended all his best energies in looking out for a young woman to unite with his son and bring more glory to the Scott name.

Lately, however, something had come up that diverted all his attentions away from marrying off Dwight.

Out of nowhere, Sir Michael suddenly found himself distressed for money.

When Lady Holly had been alive, she’d seen that their household was run with an economy that suited their not insubstantial means. But since her demise, Sir Michael had extravagantly invested all but a small portion of his fortune in a scheme orchestrated by the deposed king of Nigeria. The scheme had turned out to be a swindle. A rich and prosperous baronet but fifteen years ago, Sir Michael now found himself in trouble.

The Scott family’s lives were about to change.

Chapter End Notes:
I couldn't resist giving this a try. A little warning - the first few chapters will be devoted to setting things up. After that, this story will be very much focused on Jim and Pam and the Regency equivalent of post-Stamford angst. Enjoy!


Monotreme is the author of 1 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans