- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Soul-Mate:
A person with whom you have an immediate connection the moment you meet - a connection so strong that you are drawn to them in a way you have never experienced before. As this connection develops over time, you experience a love so deep, strong and complex, that you begin to doubt that you have ever truly loved anyone prior.




Her mom was nervous, why wouldn’t she be? It was surgery. Surgery on her husband, the father of her children and her soul mate. Pam was there, for support. It was a minor surgery anyways. Pam looked at the way her mom got so nervous over appendectomy. Even though the risks of her dad dying on the table were low, her mom still got extremely nervous and anxious. For years Pam admired her parents love for one another and wished she could have what they have.

Of course the surgery went well and her dad was going to make a full recovery. He had to stay overnight, just to make sure.

Pam stayed after the surgery, to keep her parents company.

“Hey Mom I’m a little hungry and I haven’t had lunch yet, I was thinking of getting a sandwich, you want one?”

Pam stood from the couch in the corner of her dad’s hospital room.

“That would be lovely thanks.”

“Okay I will be back in a jiffy!”

Pam’s Mom was still holding her dad’s hand waiting until the anaesthesia wore off. She hadn’t moved in 30 minutes and Pam just watched in the corner wondering how they both found their soul mate.

Pam brought two egg and lettuce sandwiches and two orange juices. On her way back to her dad’s room she got a text from her sister.

Pam didn’t have her glasses on her so she was looking closely at the tiny screen.

Pam was looking so closely that she didn’t even notice that she was walking into someone else’s room.

She threw the sandwich and juice onto the bed and sat on the couch. The room was designed the exact same as her dad’s, so she still hadn’t noticed the young man lying in bed starring at her with confusion.

Pam still was looking at the screen as she spoke, thinking she was speaking to her mom.

“Hey Penny wants to know what a good time would be for them to come in.”

Pam heard no answer from her mom, that’s when she looked up.

“Mo- Oh my gosh.”

Pam stood and was still from shock.

First thing Pam thought was how good looking he was. He was too handsome to be sick. Then she noticed the way he was looking at her and then he spoke.

“You know, I’m actually kind of a tuna guy.” He pointed to the sandwich at the end of his bed.

Pam immediately walked over and picked up the juice and sandwich.

“I am so sorry; I thought this was my dad’s room. (Pam looked around the room) it just looks exactly the same.”

“Oh no worries, it’s nice to have visitors, even if they didn’t technically come for me.”

Pam let out a nervous laugh. It was extremely awkward and Pam wasn’t sure what to do next.

“Again I am so, so sorry.”

“What are you apologizing for? It was a simple mistake, no worries.”

Pam couldn’t believe at how kind and calm he was acting and as the true gentleman he was being he introduced himself.

“I’m Jim by the way Jim Halpert.” He extended his hand for her to shake.

“Pam Beesly.” They shook hands and it became awkward again.

“Sorry again, I was in the middle of texting my sister and lost my self-awareness and immediately made myself at home.”

“Stop apologizing, I don’t mind at all.”

“Well I should go back to my mom; she’s waiting for this sandwich.” Pam held up the sandwich and walked towards the doorway.

“Yeah, well look if you’re ever visiting your dad again, you should wonder back in sometime.”

“Well he just had appendectomy, so he is leaving tomorrow morning.”

“Oh don’t worry then. Hope your dad feels better.”

There was a brief moment, when Pam wished she hadn’t said that and just left. Jim just smiled at her and she smiled back.

“Bye Pam Beesly.” Jim held up his hand to wave.
“Bye Jim Halpert.” Pam waved back and left the room.

Her dad’s room was actually two doors down, so she was pretty close.

***
For the rest of the afternoon Pam couldn’t stop thinking about Jim. Just the way he looked at her and seemed so cool about her barging into his room (he must not have gotten alot of visitor she thought) then she felt bad for him.

Pam’s thoughts of Jim were interrupted when her mom was trying to ask her something.

“Pam, Pam honey-does anyone live in there?”

“Sorry Mom, what did you say?” Pam’s mom joined her on the couch in the hospital room

“I was just wondering if you have heard from Penny at all.”

“Yes, Sorry I did when I got our lunch.”

Pam went to her purse to retrieve her mobile.

“Lunch? Which was 2 hours ago?”

“Yes sorry I got a little distracted.”

Pam handed her mom the phone with the text.

“Well you must of been pretty distracted then. Are you stressed? Work pilling on? I know how your boss can be sometimes.”

“No mom it wasn’t about Michael.”

“Okay, so what’s on your mind then?” Pam’s mom started to read the text.

“A sort of guy.” Her mom looked up

“A sort of guy? What is a sort of guy?”

“This guy who I met and I don’t know, he just won’t leave my head.”

“Where did you meet? How long ago?”

“Actually here, at lunch, yeah I walked into the wrong room, his room and made a complete fool of myself, but this guy, Jim, he was so kind and sweet.”

“Pam I think you like him!”

“Mom I have only known him for like 2 hours and we only interacted for like 2 minutes, I barely know him, plus it was a total violation of his space, I mean I don’t even know why he is even at hospital!”

“But you like him?”

“I don’t know! I just have been thinking about him, I don’t think I like him.”

“Yes you do Pam, now I know the last couple of years have been tough, but I know you Pam and I can see it in your eyes, you like him, go talk to him some more, find out relationship status and work it from there. Oh and tell your sister it is too late to visit now, but tomorrow you and Kate are coming over for dinner.”

Pam just nodded; she was over thinking this Jim thing too much.

After she said goodbye to her parents Pam made her way to Jim’s room, she thought of what her mom said about getting to know him and this was Pam’s last chance.

His door was closed this time, not like a couple of hours ago. She knocked but there was no answer, so Pam pushed the door open a little. She saw him sleeping, wrapped up in his blankets, he look adorable she thought in her head. Pam knew she should of left and gave him privacy; she only met him three hours ago!

Pam walked over beside him and grabbed something from her pocket. It was her phone number with a smiley face at the end and her name in the corner.

Pam placed it in the palm of his hand and left the room. Even if he didn’t ring her, at least Pam knew she was taking a step forward and not backwards like the last 6 years of her life.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans