- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
"Buffy" fans will notice my theft of one of the best insults in television history.

 Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 Answer to prayer

Jim smiled at Karen as she walked into the break room after him. "So?"

"So, what?" She looked exhausted, but she was making an effort to smile for him.

"So, how do you like Dunder Mifflin Scranton so far?" It was more than halfway through their first day as a consolidated branch. Jim had been surprised at his reaction when he'd entered the building for the first time in six months. He'd been nervous to the point of nausea the night before, but the moment he walked in (and saw that Pam wasn't at her desk) he felt an overwhelming sense of comfort. As awkward and painful as being here might be, Jim was home.

Understandably, Karen didn't have quite the same reaction, but Jim was determined to help her fit in here. She'd been his lifeline in Stamford. At his question, she sighed and rolled her eyes. "Um. Yeah. It's no wonder you left. I can't believe you were still sane by the time you got out of this asylum."

Jim couldn't help but laugh. He really liked Karen's sarcastic sense of humor. "Yeah, well, I'm not sure "sane" is the word I'd use, but..."

"No, seriously, Jim. You sat next to that Dwight guy for how many years? He's a weirdo. He's strange and annoying and kind of a big freak. And the big guy-" she paused and gestured toward accounting.

"Kevin?"

"Yeah. Ugh. Total pervert. This whole office - I mean, the tiny blonde woman is a bitch, I think that redhead is tipsy, and the creepy old guy in the corner smells like...I don't even know what." Karen's voice held no trace of sarcasm now; instead, she was spitting the words out, disgust evident on her face.

Jim was surprised by the wave of defensiveness he felt. "Well, OK, they take some getting used to, but I worked with these people for a long time, Karen," he began. "They're my..."

"I don't know how you could stand it," she interrupted. "And does anybody actually work around here? I mean, sure, everyone at Dunder Mifflin has heard stories about the antics of Michael Scott, but I had no idea he would literally make us spend the entire morning in the conference room watching him make an ass of himself."

"Wow." Jim recognized the truth of her assessment, but the vehemence of her disdain was shocking. Where was the laid-back, charming woman he'd been dating casually in Stamford?

Karen blinked as though she'd forgotten he was even there. Taking a deep breath, she gave Jim a weak smile. "Sorry for the rant. It's just been a stressful day." She sighed again and sank against the counter. Clearly making an effort to change the subject, she spoke up again in a lighter, mocking tone. "Um, you never told me you had an admirer here. Should I be jealous?"

Jim froze at her teasing words. He attempted a laugh."What?"

"The mousy little receptionist- Pam, I think? She's been staring at you all day like you were the answer to a prayer or something." Karen sniffed in derision. "Has she always had a crush on you? I'm not sure how you could resist her and her "provocative" wardrobe. I mean, she's clearly seen the softer side of Sears. And that hair- what is that style?" Oblivious to the stony look in Jim's eyes, Karen placed her hand lightly on his arm. "You are so far out of her league, I hope the poor thing doesn't think she actually has a chance."

"Don't-" Jim pulled his arm away from Karen's touch. "Don't talk about her like that." His voice was low with a note of warning, and he didn't meet Karen's eyes.

She laughed shortly. "What? I'm just joking. I'm sure she's...sweet." Jim looked up at Karen. He'd never really thought about the term "catty", but he understood it in that moment. Karen's expression was feral, her eyes narrowed to a feline angle. "She's just a little plain, is all. Dull. No spark." She tilted her chin up toward him, her lips curving with amusement.

Anger and protectiveness crashed into Jim with equal force. He shook his head slightly. "You have no idea what you're talking about," he said coldly. The words came out rough with emotion. "Pam is-" Jim's heart was beating fast and he paused to catch his breath. "Pam is beautiful, inside and out. She's the best friend I've ever had. All of these people are my friends. I don't want to hear any more of this, but especially about Pam. She's amazing and you know nothing about her. Are we clear?"

Karen's lovely features were twisted in a look of affronted surprise. "Sure. Whatever. And I suppose you can tell me all about this "best friend" you've never mentioned later."

"No." It was suddenly clear to Jim that this relationship would never work here. "I don't think there will be a 'later' for us, Karen. I'm sorry." He wasn't. He turned to walk out of the break room.

Pam was standing in the doorway.

Her eyes were wide and her face was pale, her lips slightly parted. Jim had no way of knowing how much she'd overheard, but her expression indicated that it was enough. A question, a longing, was shining in her eyes.

Like an answer to prayer, he thought as he walked toward her.

 

 

 

 

 

 



nqllisi is the author of 87 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 17 members. Members who liked Answer to prayer also liked 2403 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans