- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm having trouble grasping these story ratings. This story will live up to it's "Moderate sexual content" rating. Pease tell me if I'm right for labeling it K+!
Jim peeled his eyes open at the shrill sound of his alarm, vibrating on the nighstand. How could it already be morning? After the kids had gone to bed last night, he and Pam had enjoyed some much needed alone time, and didn’t hit the sack till well after midnight. Now it was six in the morning and early spring light was stinging through the window and into his eyes. Next to him, huddled under the pillow in an attempt to preserve the darkness, as Pam.
“There’s no way it’s time to get up,” she mumbled, voicing Jim’s thoughts.
“Well then, the alarm clock’s gone crazy,” Jim groaned, rolling from bed. He shivered in the cool air, heaved the enormous closet door open, grabbed the first suit in sight. Pam managed to lift her head from the pillow, groaning like a zombie.
“Fine, Beesly, you get an extra five minutes to sleep in,” Jim said with a smirk towards his dozing wife. “But you owe me.”
Across the hall from their bedroom, Jim slipped into his daughters’ bedroom, where Ceci and Laura slept. The two of they were bundled tightly in their blankets. Jim made a mental note to turn down the air conditioner.
“Rise and shine!” he exclaimed, drawing open the curtains to flood the room with light. Ceci popped her curly head up almost immediately, her blue eyes strained.
“Daddy, is it morning?” she asked almost confusedly.
“Well, of course, he said back, not dwelling on the comment. He scooped Laura from her crib and smiled. It was the first night Laura hadn’t woken Ceci and the rest of the household up in a while.
At almost one, baby Laura took a strong resemblance to Ceci, meaning, she looked nothing like either of her parents. With thick blonde hair and blue eyes, Jim would never have thought those girls would be his own.
There was a small noise in the doorway, and Jim swiveled around to see Phillip, standing in his race car themed pajamas. His ruffled brown hair made him look like a younger version of Jim.
“Everyone’s awake!” Ceci yelled, jumping from her bed and landing squarely on the worn pink carpet. “Let’s eat!”
Breakfast in the Halpert household was a well oiled machine. The kids were usually satisfied to eat toaster waffles and cold cereal, and Jim and Pam stuck to toast and coffee. The breakfast table in the kitchen became filled with crumbs, spilled milk, and various toys the kids dragged to the table as Pam and Jim ran around trying to get everyone out of the house. Today though, when Pam finally stumbled sleepily into the kitchen, Jim ad managed to dress all but Ceci and feed all but Phillip. Not bad for a solo job.
“Made you some coffee,” Jim said, handing Pam the glass mug from the set Ceci’s grandmother had given them for Christmas.
“Thanks,” Pam smiled, pulling the cream from the fridge.
“God, how do you drink that?” Jim marveled as he watched his wife pour in half of the bottle.
“What can I say, I like my sugar.”

Half an hour later, the Halpert family managed to squeeze out the door. As Jim slid into the driver’s seat of their car, Pam went over the checklist.
“Ceci’s backpack?”
“Check!” Ceci yelled.
“Diaper bag?”
“Check,” Jim said, patting the black bag at his feet.
“Wallet and purse, check,” Pam mumbled to herself. “Looks like we’re ready to go!”
“Go! Let’s go!” Phillip yelled, bouncing in his carseat. He had taken a particular interest in traveling by car since Pam had let him sit in the middle of sisters, where he could watch Jim drive every morning.
“Where are we going first?” Pam said out loud.
“My school!” Ceci explained to her mother.
Fifteen minutes later, Jim pulled the car up to Bluemont Elementary, and Ceci jumped out, waving a quick goodbye to her family before waving to a friend and disappearing into the building.
“When did she get so independent?” Jim asked almost disappointedly.
“Since she started school this fall. Oh don’t worry Jim, you still have to more at home!” Pam gestured with a laugh to Phillip and Laura, who were playing a sloppy game of peek-a-boo in the back seat.
The drive to daycare took longer than usual, as Jim managed to hit all the red lights down Main Street.
“Hurry up,” Pam faked a groan. “We wouldn’t want to miss the office party today!”
“Oh yeah, what’s this one for?” Jim asked.
“Springtime maybe? Michael just needed an excuse to stop working.”
“Of course.”
They had pulled up to the white brick building, and Pam hopped out of the car to get the kids. Phillip insisted on giving his father a kiss goodbye, and Jim watched as the three of them disappeared inside.
“The inside of the daycare center, Pam thought, was quite welcoming. The spacious room was filled with playground equipment, including a sandbox and swings. Phillip squealed with his usual delight when a teacher he knew rounded the corner into the room.
“Hey Phillip!” she exclaimed, scooping the boy into her arms. “How are you?”
“I’m good! Hey, it’s Charlie!” Phillip squirmed to the ground and ran to join a small kid with sand colored hair across the room. The woman, who Pam new to be named Mrs. Black, took Laura from Pam and Pam jogged back to the car. Jim sped out of the parking lot, and the two of them stumbled into the office, receiving a suspicious glare from Dwight.
Chapter End Notes:
Comments greatly appreciated!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans