- Text Size +

The wedding was a simple one, and nothing could mar it. It took place a week later, attended by friends and such family as could be brought to show up on short notice. The bride’s parents did not seem too distraught to see their daughter marrying a man other than the one to whom she had been betrothed for a good decade, and afterwards those who paid particular attention to her father after dinner would have heard him mutter something along the lines of “finally, a son-in-law I can respect.” The groom’s parents, who might have been expected to be somewhat disappointed by the mere competency of the new Mrs. Halpert’s expectations and the whirlwind nature of their highborn son’s attachment to her were utterly won over by the bride within five minutes of meeting her, and Jim had to almost forcibly remove Pam from his mother’s side in order to claim the honour of the first dance—which is not to say that she did not desire his company, for two happier lovebirds never gave themselves so wholly to each other before or since.

 

If there was a moment that seemed to presage disaster in some measure, it might have been the heavy knocking on the door around eleven o’clock in the evening. As all those invited were accounted for, this was at first judged to be a mistake, but after the butler came in and whispered a few words in Jim Halpert’s ear, it was clear to all that this was no mistake. Those who had been present at the infamous party a week before began to express some muted concern at a potential repetition of the awkwardness that attended that series of uninvited guests, and even Miss Kapoor (radiant in white on Mr. Howard’s arm) expressed a pious hope that nothing of that sort might come about to ruin such a lovely day—though she did somewhat undo the beneficial effect of this expression by pointing out loudly that if it did it would be even better entertainment than when Mr. Kean presented Hamlet the previous season.

 

This was the mood, then, to which Mr. Halpert reentered the room, and the obvious pleasure in his face as he turned and waved Kevin, Lord Malone into the chamber relieved even the most concerned of hearts. Lord Malone could be heard gruffly assuring Jim in a loud voice, obviously continuing their conversation from the hallway, that he had always told Castlereagh that it was about time that they put some young blood in the business, and that now that he was right and properly hitched to Miss Beesly that was, he was sure that she at least would keep him on the straight and narrow. At the mention of her name, Pam rushed up to her husband and his colleague and was the first recipient of the knowledge that Jim had just been named junior ambassador to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, and would be posting to Florence in the coming weeks. To Jim’s gratified surprise, his bride’s reaction was not disappointment to be leaving her family and friends behind, but a peal of excited laughter followed by a stream of besotted chatter about Tuscan art. He assured her that yes, the wives of ambassadors did accompany them on their postings, and that furthermore he was sure they could pack enough paints and canvas—or even buy them in Italy—to allow her full scope for her artistic desires. He then invited Lord Malone to stay for the remainder of the evening’s entertainment, whispering sotto voce that he would likely find the tomato-and-beef stew at the refreshment table particularly to his liking. He and his bride then retired together to the groom’s chambers upstairs, from which they did not emerge until well into the following morning.

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you to all who have read and reviewed. I think there will be an epilogue and then we will be done.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans