- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you enjoy my first chapter. Any reviews are completely welcome. Thank you! 

 

Jim Halpert sat in his car.

 



 

Well, Jim,” he said to himself, in a sardonic voice, “ready to make your life-long dream of selling paper come true?”

 



 

In all his twenty-five years, he hadn't felt as cynical as he had felt in this moment.

 



 

He counted himself lucky, thankful even for the opportunity. Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company offered him a good salary and commission, it was close to his apartment, near his parents and brothers. So he was – genuinely – thankful for that.

 



 

It was just that Jim was an idealist at heart.

 



 

He had always done things the way he was supposed to, got pretty good grades, supported himself through college, but no matter what, the “right” job never really came up. Nothing ever grabbed his attention.

 



 

It wasn't that he wasn't a smart guy. Jim was really talented, naturally charming, and good with people but he never found a calling. When he finally had had enough of working retail at the local sporting goods store and felt like he was getting complacent he got antsy – looking for something new. He had applied for writing jobs, advertising, anything that he thought might actually appeal to him. He didn't have enough experience and was getting rejection after rejection and normally easy-going Jim vented to his brothers one night while playing poker.

 



 

What do you want to do, Jim?” His brother, Pete, had asked him. The answer was always the same.

 

I don't know. I must not have found that calling, or whatever, yet.”

 



 

But there must be something that you're good at.” His other brother, Jonathon, pushed him. “Aside from dicking around, of course.”

 



 

Jim sighed. He did, as his brother so lovingly put it, “dick” around a lot. In fact, he was a master of wasting time. But he was also good at selling things. When working at his last retail position, his manager had told him he was so naturally good with people and was able to sell anything. He had a natural charm and easy going nature that allowed him to connect easily with people. All of his bosses had liked him and he would always been someone no one wanted to lose at their company. Jim appreciated the compliment but brushed it off because being a salesman sounded so...vacuous to him.

 



 

Frankly,” Jim had told them, “I just need more than some meaningless, boring job. I want something that really fills me with some kind of meaning. Something that makes me feel jazzed about going into work every day.”

 



 

Jonathon hummed, “So what would that be? I mean, you can't make a living watching basketball games every day.”

 



 

Jim nodded in agreement as he took a swig of his beer. That did seem like the dream. 

 



 

Are there any other things you really want from life?” Pete had challenged him, “I mean, most people aren't 'jazzed' and filled with meaning about every aspect of their job. For me, I didn't even look for jobs with that state of mind. I just wanted to be able to live a comfortable life, make a good living, have a family, and be able to have a good retirement plan. I just had to find something I was good at, not necessarily something I really liked doing.”

 



 

Jim paused, thoughtfully.

 



 

Well, I mean, I could look into a salesman position.” Jim responded.

 



 

And there it was. Just a few job interviews later and he was being offered several positions in his vicinity. Jim tried to look at it as a new opportunity – an opportunity to begin a new career – one that he might actually excel at and one that might lead him to bigger and greater things. It might not have been his dream or something that provided meaning but maybe he could find who he was and what he did well through this.

 



 

He had several companies and cities to choose from. All of the products he would be selling were pretty hollow to him and had nothing to do with his interests, so he made the choice of companies based on his location. Dunder-Mifflin, a paper company that was located 5 miles from his apartment.

 



 

So, there he was, 25 years old and starting his first day in his first “grown up” job. A paper salesman. A regular dream come true.

 



 

Jim got out of his car and shut the door. He looked around the parking lot and looked up at the building. It really was nothing special to look at and he hadn't noticed during the interview what a junky part of town it was in. The cynical part of him didn't even care though. He was there for a pay check and to move up in the world. He tried to remember what his brother had said, I just wanted to live a comfortable life, make a good living, have a family, and have a good retirement plan.” That's what he was here for. He was there to do something he was good at, not something that would fill his life with overflowing joy.

 



 



 

As he walked into the office of Dunder Mifflin, all that was in his line of sight was a half moon shaped desk, there was some candy placed on top, and behind it was a receptionist. She had a sullen and almost bored look on her face as she scribbled something down on a post it note on her desk. She had wavy, honey-colored hair, and was dressed with a pink cardigan and a collared grey shirt. When the door shut behind Jim, she looked up and upon noticing him, she smiled lightly.

 



 

Jim strode up to her desk, “Hi, my name is Jim Halpert, today is my first day...he spouted off almost as a question.

 



 

Oh! So, you're the new salesman Michael hired last week.”

 



 

Yes, I'm the salesman Michael hired last week.” Jim parroted.

 



 

Oh, hi. Welcome, I guess. My name is Pam, I'm the receptionist.” She said, blinking a few times and offering a small smile, offering her hand to shake.

 



 

Well, hello, Pam. I deduced that.” He said, taking her hand and shaking it.

 



 

Deduced? Who are you, Sherlock?” She teased.

 



 

Jim tipped his head to the side briefly, “Well, I am somewhat of a detective.”

 



 

Jim smiled back, distracted a little. Pam was cute. She seemed modest and charming. He noticed she had green eyes and was naturally really pretty. He sobered himself up a little and remembered that he wasn't here to flirt with the receptionist before even settling into his desk and checking in with his new boss.

 



 

Hey, um, is Michael in? Because I'm ---”

 



 

Pam opened her mouth to respond but Michael burst out, making his presence known.

 



 

Wait – who is this fellow here? Pam! Did you let this guy in?”

 



 

Jim looked away from Pam and focused in on the black haired, loud mouthed Michael striding towards him. His heart beating a little faster in confusion.

 



 

Hey, Michael, it's me, Jim Halpert. I met with Toby last week and you called me a few days ago to tell me I got the job...”

 



 

Michael frowned, “Oh? Well, I'm sorry and this is terribly awkward but I'm sorry we actually filled the position with someone else...”

 



 

What?

 

Jim couldn't believe his ears.

 



 

He frowned and his heart sunk a bit. He had specifically picked this job and turned down other offers in hopes to start today,

 



 

Oh...” Jim started, not sure what to say next, painfully aware of all of the eyes of the employees staring at him.

 



 

Yeah, I'm so sorry about that. I told Toby to call you but of course, he's the worst and completely forgot. Sorry he put you in this position.”

 



 

Jim looked at Pam, trying to figure out what in the hell was going on. She shrugged and looked confused as well.

 



 

Well, Jim non-essential employees aren't allowed in this building. It's a breach of our security. Pam, can you get Hank on the phone, please?”

 



 

A...breach of security? What am I gonna do? Steal paper?”

 



 

It's merely routine, Jim.”

 



 

Jim stood there, stunned. He looked over at Pam who was staring blankly at Michael and Michael deadpanning back at her. Pam made no movements to pick up the phone and call security. Jim put his hand up and said,

 



 

Oh no, I'm just gonna...” he pointed behind him with his thumb, “head out of here. Sorry for your...trouble.” He started backing away, slowly. Michael frowned at him for a second longer and Jim waved goodbye to Pam in confusion. A few awkward second slipped by until Jim had his hand on the doorknob when suddenly he heard Michael yell,

 



 

SYKE!”

 



 

Jim looked back at Michael like a deer in the headlights look and Michael was cracking up like he had just told the funniest joke in the world.

 



 

Jim stood there for a moment, wondering if he was dreaming.

 



 

What's...going...on...?” Jim said, slowly.

 



 

Michael burst into laughter again, doubling over, “You should've” Michael wheezed in between words, “you should'veseen – your – face! Michael kept shouting in between fits of laughter.

 



 

Jim, unamused but giving a bewildered smile at Michael's psychotic behavior, looked over at other employees for social cues and then over at Pam with a “what the hell” expression.

 



 

Pam rolled her eyes at Michael in response.

 



 

So, I am starting today.” Jim stated, trying to be clear and speaking over Michael's laughter.

 



 

Yes, yes. Oh, of course.” Michael said, still wheezing, but trying to compose himself.

 



 

Jim nodded once, in understanding and stepped away from the door, piecing together everything that just happened.

 



 

You've just been Punk'd! You know, like the show?”

 



 

Punk'd?” Jim said, playing dumb and shaking his head, “ I don't...”

 



 

Oh, God, Jim. The one with Ashton Kutcher. Oh man, you're going to LOVE working here. You shall be my new apprentice. I have so much wisdom to pass along.”

 



 

Michael, cleared his throat and feigned a formal tone, “Alright, Mr. James Halpert, please meet me in my office. It's the big one right over here.” He said motioning to it and Michael walked right into it.

 



 

Jim hesitantly followed but stopped quickly at the reception desk and drummed his fingers against it, quickly,

 



 

So that was...”

 



 

Yeah, yikes.” Is all Pam said, but she didn't look at all surprised.

 

I'm guessing this is normal behavior with Michael?” Jim asked.

 



 

Pam blinked, rolled her eyes, chuckled and spoke softly, “Oh, yeah. My theory is he wasn't held enough as a child. If Michael hasn't scared you away already and you decide to actually work here after that humiliating experience, you can help me come up with theories – you know, since you're a detective and all that.”

 



 

Jim laughed, “Hmm, that's an enticing offer, Beesley.”

 



 

Pam looked surprised when he used her last name, as if confused as to how he knew what it was.

 



 

I told you, I'm a detective.” Jim smiled coyly and pointed to the name plaque on her desk that read “Pam Beesley.” Pam looked at it and laughed in realization, pointed to it and said, “Oh, right.”

 



 

Jim felt a warm sensation spread over his chest when she smiled.

 



 

Cute last name.” Jim said, Pam's face turned a shade redder.

 



 

Thanks, Halpert.” She struck back as Jim walked away from reception into Michael's office, he looked back and gave her a small smile in return.

 



 

Jim went into Michael's office; where the man sat at his desk holding a coffee mug that said World's Best Boss not-so-nonchalantly. Gosh, it was kind of pathetic but he would not go there. Jim took a deep breath and decided to start things off right with some low-key brown nosing maybe try to show him that he was unflappable. Michael took a loud sip from his mug, clearly wanting him to notice the cup and, hey, it was his first day so whatever, brown nosing, it was.

 



 

Hey, nice cup.” Jim complied, “Did you get that as a gift from someone?”

 



 

Yes, I sure did. From the best employee in this office.”

 



 

Oh yeah?”

 



 

Absofruitley.”

 



 

He didn't know whether or not to groan or laugh out and almost felt like either reaction was inappropriate for this social situation. Instead raised his eyebrows and turned the sides of his mouth down and nodded, feigning understanding.

 



 

Well, that's...great.” Jim forced out, awkwardly.

 



 

Michael took a serious sip out of his mug and placed it carefully on his desk so that it was in plain sight. Jim observed the desk toys and other things in Michael's office, a bunch of trophies, a framed “Certificate of Authenticity” signifying that he owned a Seyko Timepiece (made to look like a diploma), random props, and a turban.

 



 

Oh, boy. He thought.

 



 

So, are you excited to begin the first day of the rest of your life?” Michael started.

 



 

Oh, absolutely, I am.” Jim said, playing along with his intensity.

 



 

I like your enthusiasm, young Jim. First, maybe I should give you a tour? Introduce you to everyone?”

 

Sure, whatever you'd like.” Jim agreed.

 



 

Alright, then. Fooolllloooowwww meeee. I will be you tour guide on this...” Michael stopped, as if searching for a word.

 



 

...tour?” Jim finished.

 



 

I was trying to come up with something funnier.” Michael waved him off as he stood up. “Never mind.”

 



 

Michael walked energetically out of his office.

 



 

First stop, reception. You've met Pam already. She's our receptionist. And isn't she so cute” Michael baby talked to Pam.

 



 

Jim just stood there and widened his eyes a little. There were really no social situations he'd ever experienced to prepare himself for this guy.

 



 

The first stop in this office. She's like our welcome mat, the first person you see before you enter. That's what she said.” Michael under his breath and then proceeding to laugh at his own joke.

 



 

Wow.” Jim just said.

 



 

Oh, but unlike normal welcome mats, don't wipe your feet on her. I tried once, she doesn't like it.”

 



 

Pam stared Michael down, unamused.

 



 

See? That face? That's the one she made.” Michael laughed out. “Oh, Pam, chill out. I'm just kiiiddding.”

 



 

Michael walked up close to Jim and whispered, “She likes pretending that she doesn't like my jokes but I can tell she's just playing along.”

 



 

Oh, I can totally see how you'd think that.” Jim said in a mock serious voice and looking at Pam. Pam rolled her eyes and shook her head at Michael and focused back onto some work on her desk. She seemed uncomfortable both with all eyes on her and Michael's attention.

 



 

Alright, who's next?” Jim said, picking up on Pam feeling awkward tried to distract Michael.

 



 

Oh! YES! Next stop, sales staff!”

 



 

Great.” Jim said.

 



 

Michael walked a few steps and made chugging noising like a train.

 



 

Jim awkwardly followed behind, just going with it. He had a feeling that in order to get along he could probably passively agree with Michael without him being aware of his making fun of him. Michael, so far, seemed to be starved for attention and would try to seek it in any way he could.

 



 

So, I am about to introduce you to my family.”

 



 

Oh,” Jim said, gesturing around the room, “is anyone here related to you?”

 



 

Oh, oh, no. Well, not that I know anyway, I do 'get around'. Maybe someone here could be mine.” Michael said under his breath to Jim.

 



 

Okay,” Jim said, then pointed to an older man across the room playing tetris. “How about that guy?”

 



 

Ew. No, that's Creed, he's like 100. I'm only in my forti---, I'm in my mid thirties, Jim.”

 



 

Oh, right.”

 



 

Good thing we didn't hire you to be an accountant. You don't seem so good at math.”

 



 

Yeah, you dodged a bullet there.” Jim retorted, intending to sound snarky. Michael just glossed over it.

 



 

Anyhow, what I meant to say is that this office like a family. We are all very, very close and I am like the cool dad.”

 



 

Got it. And who is the mom?” Jim said, again wondering if he was being too sassy.

 



 

But Michael was serious, “The mom would probably be Phyllis.” He pointed to a dark-curly haired woman sitting at her desk, Jim assumed was Phyllis, Michael leaned over and said, “Except she and I, we'd never...”

 



 

Ah.” Jim said, catching the incredibly inappropriate innuendo.

 



 

Next to her is Stanley the manley. He's brings a lot of culture to our office. Say hello Stanley.”

 



 

Stanley was a portly, middle-aged African-American man sitting on the phone and looking like he was having none of it.

 



 

Jim could only assume “culture” was code for “black” and just...said nothing.

 



 

Stanley, your boss just said to say hello to the new guy...”

 



 

Stanley put his hand on the receiving end and spouted, “I'm on the phone with a client right now.”

 



 

Stanley and I are great friends.” Michael moved on, “The next salesman is Dwight. He has the best numbers. Just try and beat him.”

 



 

That's right.” Dwight said, as he stood up as if to prove dominance, “Just go ahead and try, newbie.” Well, Dwight seemed interesting. He was a tall man, beady eyed man in his 20s, and a short sleeved yellow shirt. He peered at Jim through his square shaped glasses and glared at him.

 



 

Will do.” Jim said, pointing at him, immediately put off by the severe gaze.

 



 

Sheesh, what's his problem? Jim thought.

 



 

Michael took Jim all around the office and all different departments. They had met accounting, three people who just glared at Michael through his introductions and seemed to show little interest in Jim, An Indian girl (as Michael just HAD to point out) named Kelly who smiled brightly at him, Creed, the older man he pointed out earlier to Michael, who didn't even stop his game of Tetris to talk to Jim, Meredith – who winked at him like he was eye candy to her, and Toby – the man who originally interviewed him and was perfectly kind then but Michael seemed to think was the devil incarnate. When they were done with Toby, Michael took him back to reception and said to Pam,

 



 

Alrighty, Pamellaaa, I have to make a call, please show Jim to his desk, pretty please.” Pam nodded and stood up and walked out of her workspace. “Alright, Jim, I leave you in Pam's very capable hands.”

 



 

And just like that, Michael Scott strode back into his office.

 



 

Wow.” Jim said to Pam. “Just wow.”

 



 

Yeah, I know.” Pam said, with a smile, “Believe it or not, you get used to it. Scared away yet?”

 



 

Jim shook his head, “Scared? Nah. Intrigued.” And he was. Jim was a little bit of a shit himself so he kind of wanted to be there with a box of popcorn every day.

 



 

Pam laughed, “Good, I hoped you wouldn't be.” Jim raised his eyes in surprise at that impulsive confession.

 



 

I mean,” she caught herself, and trying to cover up what she must have thought was a too-revealing though, “You seem pretty normal. I definitely need that around here.”

 



 

I never thought I'd be so touched by someone referring to me as normal.”

 



 

Pam laughed, “You'll see.”

 



 

She and Jim smiled at each other for a moment and then she cleared her throat. “So...” she began.

 



 

So...what?”

 



 

So...” Pam looked at him with a mock-serious face and spoke quietly, “Enjoy this moment because you're never going to go back to this time before you met your desk-mate, Dwight.”

 



 

Jim gave her a puzzled smile and shook his head a little as if to ask her to explain further and then realization dawned on him. He leaned in and whispered quietly. “Oh wait, the weird guy with the yellow shirt?”

 



 

Mustard. It's mustard color. Very specific. Get it right, Halpert.” Pam sassed him, playfully.

 



 

Um noted.” He said, “But that guy? The one who was glaring at me? I sit next to him??”

 



 

Yup.” Pam said, as if it were a joke.

 



 

Uh oh.”

 



 

Yup. You ready? This is a big moment. Your life is about to change.”

 



 

Let's do it, Beesley.”

 



 

Pam turned away from him with a sneaky smile and started to lead him to his desk. He watched her bounce a little as she walked away. He didn't know how well he'd do as an official salesman yet, what lay in store with him with a boss like Michael Scott, or what his desk-mate would possibly be like, but he knew one thing and it hit him with a air of absolute assurity that he hadn't felt before: he really liked the receptionist.

 





Chapter End Notes:

I hope you enjoyed my first chapter! Next chapter to come next Thursday :) 

 

Maybe sooner if you guys like it! Let me know!  


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans